Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
johngnh
0 Kudos

Re: App Buyer Beware

Reader
Egads

OK, here's what worked for me (solved several problems, including Angry Birds not installing):

Before you start make sure the NC battery has at least 20% charge remaining

1.  Connect to a wireless host, preferably a 'remembered' host that will automatically reconnect on reboot.

2.  Archive any Apps that have failed to install, and exit all open Apps - go to the Home Page.

3.  Unmount the microSD, should you have one inserted.

4. Power down the NC (all the way - hold the power switch in until the NC asks you if you really want to power off completely).

5. Remove the microSD from the NC.

6. Disconnect the USB cord from the NC, if you have it attached.

7. Power up the NC (reboot/cold start - see #4!)

8. Wait for your home screen to appear and make sure wireless has reconnected.

9. Go to the Apps window and install any previously archived apps (patience, they'll need to download - again, before installation can begin).

10. If all goes well, then put your NC to sleep or power down before inserting your microSD/connecting your USB cable). 

New User
paigestl
0 Kudos

I accidently purchased 2 books that I didn't know about, B&N refunded my $ because I had not downloaded them yet.   I changed settings so I have to enter my CC# to make a purchase.

Contributor
Johnnymop
0 Kudos

What is SD?

New User
c0lnag0

SD = secure digital. It's a postage-stamp-sized memory card used for storing digital data.  The Nook uses a micro-sized version, called a microSD, that fits in that teeny slot behind that flap in the back corner.

Frequent Contributor
Guyon
0 Kudos

It is not B&N's responsibility to refund money for apps any more than it is Google's responsibility to refund money on Android Market apps that customers don't like.  It is ALWAYS up to the developer.

The point is a little twisted:

The cool thing about Android vs. Apple is that if you delete a app with in 24 hours from the android market you get a refund. So B&N is closer to Apple policy than Android.

Inspired Contributor
BrianMcE
0 Kudos

Laurie_Gator wrote:

How is this any different than their return policy for books?

If I accidentally download a book, I don't get a refund either even if I call within 5 seconds of making the accidental purchase. If I purchase the book, I am stuck with it...

I accidentally ordered a book once.  I called and they refunded the money no problem. Incidentally, I still have the book despite being refunded. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
Knowledge70
0 Kudos

solitair wrote:

The Google market does give you some time to test out the app and if you don't want it, you can get a refunt (I think it is 30 min).

Well apparently in the nook app store, that becomes the app developers call.  I just found this on one of the B&N pages regarding apps:

Note: If the app developer offers a free trial version of the app, then a "Free Trial" button will appear in the App Product Detail page. Customers can download the free trial by selecting the "Free Trial" button. Also, if a free trial is available, a description of the type of trial functionality is included in the app overview tab.

And I believe there is evidence of this the 'TouchDown' app, as there is a free one which you find when reading the details, only works for 30 days (full app is $19.99).  No sign of a "Frre Trial" button. But a hopeful sign that we will see more 'lite' or 'free trial' apps.

Distinguished Correspondent
feltbettor
0 Kudos

I had the same problem as the OP. I also did a quick check on Rovio FAQ and found the "unmount the microSD card and redownload" solution worked.

Also, am I the only one who sees the OP posting empty chat boxes? Gives me the impression he feels embarrassed he didn't do more research before posting.

"Now remember, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas... Except herpes, that s*** will come back with you." - Sid Garner
Reader
wtfbubblelol

richardwrite25 wrote:

It is not B&N's responsibility to refund money for apps any more than it is Google's responsibility to refund money on Android Market apps that customers don't like.  It is ALWAYS up to the developer.

i like this quote. it's like when you buy something from a grocerery store, and go home, and it's filled with maggots. obviously the vendor has no responsibility, you go to the farm and complain right?

feltbettor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

wtfbubblelol wrote:

richardwrite25 wrote:

i like this quote. it's like when you buy something from a grocerery store, and go home, and it's filled with maggots. obviously the vendor has no responsibility, you go to the farm and complain right?

I take it you complain to Amazon when your package is crushed during shipping? I think I've read a couple of your reviews on Amazon.......

"Never opened the box.....product was way too big for my countertop. Why would they make this indoor grill so big? What a lousy product! You should be ashamed for making this crap Amazon!"  1 out of 5 stars!

"Now remember, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas... Except herpes, that s*** will come back with you." - Sid Garner
TNTLamb
0 Kudos

Would somebody be so kind as to start a list of those retailers who take back opened software, dvds, or cd,s? I'm not refering to those who will exchange a hard copy for an exact copy, but will refund it?
There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently