Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Carlcheated
0 Kudos

Apps - A big disappointment!

I've only had my NC for a few months.Thinking about rooting for a while, but I decided to wait for the update from Barnes & Noble. I got the update and it seems to work fine.

Then I looked at the Apps being offered. There is almost nothing of interest there, free or otherwise. Probably others found something but, in my case, just about the only one I found of some value is Pulse.

All that waiting for what? I am beginning to doubt if even rooting will be a major improvement. The NC is great as an ereader, so maybe I'll just leave it at that.

Comments anyone?

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Re: Apps - A big disappointment!

Sounds like you need to root your NC.  At least rooting will keep you happy until the B&N app store starts getting a decent amount of apps to choose from.

Two apps were added today.

Contributor
Cthlhu
0 Kudos

By all means consider rooting your nook. I have had mine since the release, and rooted it before autonooter came out. Its hard to even consider going back. However my wife (who received hers the same day) refused to root until this last update. With the whole reset, problems with the magazine covers, and the stupid permanent cookbook. I rooted hers this past Sat and she is totally in love. It runs great, has a much smoother homescreen, and an app store full of games,apps,widgets,live wallpapers,etc... B&N has completely flubbed this one up....

If you need any help feel free to email me. I am more than willing to share what i know.

-jas

steampunk @ gmail (dot) com

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Most of the first wave of apps are geared for parents with young kids. I only downloaded 4 apps out of 138.

Distinguished Correspondent
tenagail
0 Kudos

I'vehad my NC for 5 months. I have not rooted because I don't know enough about it. I am curious to know what happens to my free and paid apps from BnN ? Thank you for any answers
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Carlcheated wrote:

I've only had my NC for a few months.Thinking about rooting for a while, but I decided to wait for the update from Barnes & Noble. I got the update and it seems to work fine.

Then I looked at the Apps being offered. There is almost nothing of interest there, free or otherwise. Probably others found something but, in my case, just about the only one I found of some value is Pulse.

All that waiting for what? I am beginning to doubt if even rooting will be a major improvement. The NC is great as an ereader, so maybe I'll just leave it at that.

Comments anyone?

If rooting, so that you have the largest number of free apps on the planet available to you, will still be a disappointment to you, then I don't think any device available will have the apps you're looking for.

Contributor
Cthlhu

@tengail sadly the root for 1.2 is very involved and has not really been nailed down yet. So in answer to your question you would loose access to your paid and free apps. However, you can always go back to stock. If B&N decides it wants to step up and really support the NC then you will have no problem going back. The good news is that the app store that is avaliable for those with a rooted nook is FULL of great free apps, and unlike the NC most paid apps have a limited free version that you can try and make sure you like it before you buy.

Again there is very very limited downside.

-jas

Contributor
Cthlhu
0 Kudos

richardwrite25 wrote:

Comments anyone?

If rooting, so that you have the largest number of free apps on the planet available to you, will still be a disappointment to you, then I don't think any device available will have the apps you're looking for.

I totally disagree. Try using any Bible on the nookcolor, its so frustrating. Try using the FREE Bible app for andriod that i can use on my rooted NC its amazing i can follow along with any preacher flipping faster than i can in a physical book. Calendar app that syncs to my google account. Comixology - I use this app every month to download the comic books that i read. Its a great app that runs perfectly on the rooted NC ....and its free... TuneIn Radio another free app that i use daily to stream local and national radio stations to my office. Plume a free twitter client... its great to be able to take a break from my fav book to check my twitter feed... Google Maps is also a free app that i use frequently to find restaurants or stores in my area... Remote VNC Pro this is a VNC app that is free w/ adds that allow me to connect to my machine at home and run services/ start downloads or email files to my work computer...

these are just a few... So i am completely content with my rooted nook....

-jas