Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos

Archive question

I'm just curious. Since it is so easy to archive/unarchive books, why not just keep 1-2 books that you are currently reading on the active "inventory" and then archive all the rest? Is there a time limit on the archived books? Do they disappear after some time interval?

Eric

Inspired Correspondent
W8WCA
0 Kudos

Re: Archive question

They do not disappear.

I have too many ebooks to archive then un archive them.

I just use apx 12 bookshelves I made and that helps out.

Come by and Visit ClubNook!

Cheers Charlie
Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Toller wrote:

I'm just curious. Since it is so easy to archive/unarchive books, why not just keep 1-2 books that you are currently reading on the active "inventory" and then archive all the rest? Is there a time limit on the archived books? Do they disappear after some time interval?

Eric

If space on your NC is an issue this is certainly and option.  The problem I see with archive/unarchive is that i have to do it at my PC and then sync the two.  Not a biggie, but what if I finish my book on the NC and have forgotten to unarchive something new?  I admit that I only have a dozen or so books on my NC right now, and several of those are library books, so in some ways I follow your suggestion.  It's just nice to know I have a couple of months worth of reading with me at all times.

Besides, don't you want to show off all the books you have?

Jeremy

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson

Jeremy,

You know that you can archive/unarchive directly on your NC, right?  The very last shelf in your library is a listing of your archived books, all you have to do is tap on the archived book and select unarchive...Just thought it might make it easier for you than having to do that from a computer.

Cheers.

:smileyhappy:

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Scribe
dfehling

Yeah, it's easy to archive and unarchive if you have a wifi connection at the time. But since I don't ever want to be caught without a book to read, I make sure I have at least a dozen or so already downloaded at any given time. That allows for travel, power or internet outages, or any unforeseen circumstances that could keep me from having a fresh book to read when I finish one.

Also - it takes time to unarchive a book - your NC has to redownload it. Why bother?

No time limit on archiving/unarchiving - and they don't go away. It's just an unnecessary hassle when I have plenty of space on my Nook for a heck of a lot of books. I keep the ones I am currently reading and next in my to-be-read pile on my home page so I can find them easily.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

A_Wilson wrote:

Jeremy,

You know that you can archive/unarchive directly on your NC, right?  The very last shelf in your library is a listing of your archived books, all you have to do is tap on the archived book and select unarchive...Just thought it might make it easier for you than having to do that from a computer.

Cheers.

:smileyhappy:

Thanks...I am used to looking at books on my homepage not on shelves and the Archive option is not available from the Homepage.  however, you still need wifi to unarchive. 

At this point i don't have a large personal collection....most of my reading is from my library, so archiving hasn't been a big issue.  nor shelving for that matter.

Thanks for the tip, though.

Jeremy

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

There are 2 problems that may or will necessitate archiving. The first is if you run out of room for books on your NC. The second is if you have another nook-the N2E or the N1E as well as the NC. The NC can hold more books. If you have more than about 500, which could include larger illustrated books, and don't archive them, the N2E will keep popping up with the error saying it is full. I've had to go through and archive a lot of my books because of this.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Correspondent
FARIEQUEENE
0 Kudos

I have over 200 books on my NC archived just for spacial issues, I won't say I have too many books...I just have a lot to manage and archiving helps me get through all my books in my library quicker.  I wish I could organize my library without shelves a bit more.

"I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king."
Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos

Thanks to all.

My wife and I use one account for two Nooks....my color and her classic. It's retty easy for me to scroll through the whole library but on hers it's button push after button push. Since we rarely go back an re-read a book, archiving the books we've both read seems like a good option.

Thanks again.

Eric