Inspired Correspondent
Knowledge70
0 Kudos

Are you missing App icons?

Since last evening I have seen the icons for my apps randomly vanish.  Angry Birds went first an has not returned. After that numerous apps would lose icons, then later they would be back but another app or 2 would lose theirs.  It's only ever the new apps that were not pre-loaded but purchased.

Refresh (sync) does not get angry birds icon back, but occasionally corrects some of the others (not every time).  It's very frustrating. I have archived and unarchived without success and restarted the device so many times I have lost count (with and without SD card in case that had something to do with it). 

Is anyone else experiencing this, and has any one found a solution?

Contributor
CrazyforBuckeyes
0 Kudos

Re: Are you missing App icons?

By missing App icons, do you mean that instead of the icon, you get the grey book cover?  If so, that has happened with me on two of the apps I downloaded (Fliq Notes and Fliq Tasks).  I have been unable to get the original App icons to reappear.

Inspired Contributor
lazisusann
0 Kudos

Same with me. My icons have turned into gray books.
"The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age." ~Lucille Ball~
Contributor
dtkpmom
0 Kudos

Mine came back after deregistering and erasing the NC.  When I reregistered, every thing came back with the proper icons.  It still didn't solve my web browser shutting down issue, but now I have icons.

Inspired Correspondent
Knowledge70
0 Kudos

Yup, gray boxes (covers) is what I get.  I'd hate to go through the deregister and register process, but will if I have to (takes a while to re-download all of my purchases).

Since you did this have you retained all the icons since?  Only I see random vanish/return behavior. So doing the deregistration may restore the covers/icons, but if it doesn't solve the problem I'll perhaps hold off.

Correspondent
Dr_Mabooza
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I shut mah NC down and restarted it and - viola! -  iconz returnd!

(Deregistration seems extreme.)

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

Be sure that you are completely powering down and not just putting it to sleep.  You have to hold the power button down for several seconds until you get the option to power down.  Some people haven't realized this and have never really rebooted their device.

Contributor
CrazyforBuckeyes
0 Kudos

I just tried powering down my NC . . . and turned it back on . . . no luck, still have two of my apps looking like a grey book image.  :smileymad:

Inspired Correspondent
Knowledge70
0 Kudos

Same here.  Long time nook color owner and know the often mistaken difference between sleep mode and shut-down.  The shutdown does not resolve the issue.  Angry Birds remains a gray block, and the other apps randomly lose & recover icons on refreshing.

Looks like reregistering is my only hope. Would still like to know if this resolves the issue permenantly though.

Contributor
CrazyforBuckeyes
0 Kudos

Well . . . I am going to hold out for a while until I hear something from B&N about this (of course that could be a while :smileymad:)  

Inspired Contributor
crossword_lover
0 Kudos

Yep, after about 24 hours, two apps, Angry Birds and Calculator, are now generic grey boxes. Restarting didn't help. Neither did archiving the app and redownloading.

Inspired Contributor
Charles-R
0 Kudos

Same problem here, with Angry Birds, Boingo, and Fliq Calendar.  I've tried rebooting, archiving/unarchiving the apps, and syncing the apps.  Eventually, the Fliq Calendar icon returned, but not the other two.

I know exactly when the icons disappeared: the first time I pushed the sync button in Apps menu, they went away.

Wordsmith
alliecatTX
0 Kudos

My Angry Birds app icon went to the gray box last night after I had played awhile.  However, I was able to tap the gray box and start the app again, so I will wait to hear more before taking any extreme measures.  I've only loaded that and a couple of the kid's book apps, so I don't have much insight into how much this is happening.

Correspondent
julianka
0 Kudos

Goodreads here.

Reader 4
meridian39
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
Savoir_Faire
0 Kudos

Same problem here with two apps ( so far ). Have powered off and on ( fully ) numerous times trying to resolve this and some other issues, I have also tried archiving and un-archiving as well as setting the arrows to chasing each other ( reset/refresh? ) but no change. As they are only free apps ( again, so far ) if it bugs me too much I can just yoink them but right now it is just a minor nuisance that I think will be resolved at some point.
"Savoir Faire is everywhere."
Distinguished Correspondent
TNTLamb
0 Kudos

Well I did the online discussion thing.... Their solution SO FAR is a reset.....  I think I can live with the annoyance for a while as I'm sure theynwill have an utility or simpler solution in time. NO WAY do i want to reset upo emai;.passwords, etc etc. just to have prettier home page.......

Beside a reset will only be temporary, until they have a "fix" I suspect as I get more apps, it will happen again.....................

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Inspired Correspondent
Knowledge70
0 Kudos

Yeah, I'm going to wait too.  I want to FIX the problem not just recover lost icons only to lose them again if there is a glitch in the system somewhere.

Frequent Contributor
Mack_the_Knife
0 Kudos

i didn't read thru all the posts but powering off has been mentioned.  i'll add that before you power off, move the "gray book" app out of the bottom row and let it float out in the main window and then power off/on.  that seemed to work for me.

♥ Children make you want to start life over
Inspired Correspondent
Knowledge70
0 Kudos

Sadly it was already on the screen and not the bottom row.  I have tried it on the home page, off the home page (apps screen only), and on the bottom of the home page. Nothing works.  It even shows as gray (missing) on the details screen in the app store.