Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
B_Lux
0 Kudos

Article on how Nook, Kindle etc are Wrecking the Publishing Industry

Don't worry Nick.  The publishing industry will figure it out.  They just need to re-imagine the publishing industry.

From eWeek

By: Nicholas Kolakowski

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-and-Notebooks/Kindle-Nook-Other-EReaders-Wrecking-Publishing-Indus...

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words.
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Re: Article on how Nook, Kindle etc are Wrecking the Publishing Industry

Agreed.  Publisher's need to take note of how the music industry bungled the digital music revolution a decade ago.  They are doing a better job, IMO, but they still haven't taken their foot off the brakes.

Correspondent
baby_chyll
0 Kudos

Go tell that to Nick personally. Kick his *ss :smileyvery-happy:

Wits and Confidence are the building blocks of success. I so hate whining FAGS
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Not gonna lose sleep over this one.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

Schwa wrote:

Agreed.  Publisher's need to take note of how the music industry bungled the digital music revolution a decade ago.  They are doing a better job, IMO, but they still haven't taken their foot off the brakes.

Has anyone been in a Best Buy recently and take a look at the dwindling size of the CD offerings?

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

hopefully PHONE books are the first to go.  They were the first to go electronic, and yet i get more per year than ever.  What a waste of paper!

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

The article says, "Amazon's Kindle, Barnes & Noble's Nook and other e-readers could undermine the market for paper books, wrecking publishing industry revenue."

First of all, the author makes the stupid assumption the two are the same thing. Sure the market for paper books will dwindle as more people read e-books. Duh! But that doesn't mean publishing revenues will go down. The publishers still get their cut of the books - it's the book stores, printers, distributors and shippers, etc that just won't get a cut any more. Seems to me, that might mean more profit for the publishers and authors.

And it isn't like the e-books are sold at a huge discount either. I would say at least HALF of the 70+ e-books I have bought thus far cost MORE than the paperback version and a good percent of them cost as much as the hard cover. In addition, my purchases are a one shot deal. I can't resell my e-books. I can't loan most of them to friends, and those that are lendable are only lendable once. With paper books, each book can be read by dozens of readers with the publisher only getting a cut of the initial sale. Those same dozens of readers would each have to purchase the same book in e-format to read it.

I believe the publishers are the BIG WINNERS here, not losers!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

We're in a period of rapid change, that's for sure. There's no sense lamenting it, though. Change, at this point, is unavoidable. As for publishers, and the publishing indusytu frankly, I couldn't care less about them. It's the authors that worry me. My suspicion is that in the worst of scenarios, Authors will basically survive on a "donationware" model, where they offer their e-books DRM free, cheaply and directly to the public, pocketing almost all the proceeds, or perhaps splitting them with an editor. Word of mouth will be the advertising method of choice, that and book reviews. Already there are a few self published authors with an established fan base who make a very decent living selling nothing but eBooks.

Reader 4
Mindtoi
0 Kudos

Publishers will survive just fine revenue wise, those that embrace ebooks. It's wholesalers and retailers that are going to have a problem.
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

Schwa wrote:

Has anyone been in a Best Buy recently and take a look at the dwindling size of the CD offerings?

Stores =/= publishers.  Also, I don't recall any music retailers pushing their own content and hardware.  Okay, maybe Virgin but that guy was a nut.  At least B&N is trying.  And they are off to a good start.

The publishers on the other hand...  Agency model... Harper Collins' library fiasco... Lendable book restrictions...  The JK Rowlings of the world...  Not really that much different than the Warner Brothers/Metallica stunts

Inspired Correspondent
B_Lux
0 Kudos

Serolf_Divad wrote:

<snip>

It's the authors that worry me. My suspicion is that in the worst of scenarios, Authors will basically survive on a "donationware" model, where they offer their e-books DRM free, cheaply and directly to the public, pocketing almost all the proceeds, or perhaps splitting them with an editor. Word of mouth will be the advertising method of choice, that and book reviews. Already there are a few self published authors with an established fan base who make a very decent living selling nothing but eBooks.

This is an excellent point.  It reminds me of bands selling CDs out of the trunk of their car to avoid giving most of the money over to the music companies.

The music companies provide advertising, distribution, merchandising (I think) and probably a bunch of other things that I don't know about, but the cost is apparently huge.  Unless you are super-successful it looks like you can't make a self-sustaining living from it.  That's unfortunate.

With the eBook I would think you still need:

• an editor
  • conversion of the book to an acceptable digital format.
  • advertising of some kind whether it is physical or virtual
  • storage of your eBook on a server somewhere (and the server hardware has to be maintained)
  • distribution through an interface of somekind.
  • copyright protection: I personally believe that a barrier to artistic production, in certain media such as digital, is copyright protection.  I like the idea of being able to lend a book, but not copy it which is easier in a digital environment.  And the lending should also be restricted except for libraries for example.  My 2 cents.
  • if the owner of the digital book wants a hard copy of the book whether it is bound as a hardcover or a paperback, that expense and research about where to send it would fall to the owner.
  • equatible distribution of funds which, hopefully, translates into more for the author.
So you don't need paper or a printing facility to print it, a truck to haul it to the store, the gas for the truck, the warehouse for storage, the truck and gas to haul unsold copies back to where ever.
It seems to me that there is still significant stuff that at digital book still needs, but the scale and logistics don't seem to be such an enormous challenge.  This opinion is based on nothing but 25 years in the computer industry and zero years in the publishing industry.
So, what am I missing (probably a lot)?  What else does an eBook need in order to have as much money go to the author but still have enough money to go to the "publisher" to do what it needs to do, and to make a profit?

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words.