Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
backlash48

B&N app store

If B&N is going to have an app store I don't understand why they are keeping it such a dark secret. Seems to me they should be promoting something like that, most companies who have a new product,  service, or new and improved version of something pump the heck out of it before hand to build the anticipation! I love  my Nook color the way it is but I would also like to improve it's versatility all of the speculation was a 1st quarter start, in case nobody has noticed the first quarter is over and still nothing! I'm trying to wait to see what their app store will be but my patience is not infinite.  

Contributor
backlash48

Re: B&N app store

Yea, I see these second hand and back hand announcements but where is the one straight from the horse's mouth!

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

They have announced it. It's been all over the news. If it deputs with more than 50 apps I'll be very surprised.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos
Contributor
earthqake_mcgoon
0 Kudos

What I think backlash is saying is that B&N hasn't sent an email or posted the news on their main page for all us consumers to see. And quite frankly I'm bothered by this aswell
Nallia

earthqake_mcgoon wrote:
What I think backlash is saying is that B&N hasn't sent an email or posted the news on their main page for all us consumers to see. And quite frankly I'm bothered by this aswell

Backlash asked for the announcement that came directly from B&N.  I provided it.  Can't get much more public than a press release.

Contributor
backlash48
0 Kudos

I'm a contractor and I give exact dates all of the time and that is the way things work!

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, when B&N doesn't provide their own details, that leaves news outlets to come up with their own interpretations.  Like Dan Ionescu, at PC World, who claimed about the current NookColor:

- it lacks e-mail access

- it doesn't have a web browser

- it doesn't have a lot of processing power

and the upcoming update:

- will transform it into a cheap Android tablet

- will have a store with _8_ apps in it at launch

http://www.pcworld.com/article/223310/nook_color_to_get_apps_flash_support.html

Of course, I doubt if this guy has even heard of the NookColor before, much less seen one.  His confusion on the apps stems from the fact that it has always come with 8 apps preloaded in the Extras folder.  But it's good that he's shoveling his "news" out there.  In spite of being notified by readers, he's not bothered to correct any of his errors.

Luckily, there are many other sources who aren't completely clueless, but I'm starting to see other news sites pick up on his nonsense.

- Mark

Inspired Contributor
Zxybabydoll
0 Kudos

I want to comment on something, I have read and reread the Press Release, and I am ONLY seeing a semi formal date of Spring, which is fine, But the "news" sources are al regurgitating the HSN "news" and that does not a news update make, People.. Consider the source, and what junk they have been posting about the Nook Color?? Would ANYONE truly trust a "Source" that is telling such blatant lies??

Distinguished Correspondent
Wild_images
0 Kudos

I'm guessing the next 14 or so days around here are going to be brutal.  

As April 15th turns into April 20th, then the 25th and finally May, if there is no update things are going to get down right ugly.

If May comes and goes, and we work into June without an update, oh boy......brutal and ugly all at the same time.

Going to make for interesting entertainment anyway.....

Frequent Contributor
Guyon
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nallia wrote:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20047615-1.html

So Home Shopping Network is selling a  $249 Nook Color for 299.90?

P.T.Barnum would have loved HSN  LOL

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

The target consumer for NC is probably not getting upset by the update/ APP circus.

They can download and read their books and mags

library works

They can listen to music

They can chk FB, Most can chk E-mail, Lite web surfing.

Get the news

Yeah that update mite come in handy as well as some of the apps. I don't think the majority of NC owners are sweating it.

As to B&N announcing and setting up the hype, Read these boards and others and I think there is plenty of hype/anticipation.  :smileyvery-happy:

JMHO

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

Guyon wrote:

Nallia wrote:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20047615-1.html

So Home Shopping Network is selling a  $249 Nook Color for 299.90?

P.T.Barnum would have loved HSN  LOL

Please I understand the gut reaction to all this, but do yourself and everyone a favor and don't post until you have the facts.  The HSN offering includes 100 B&N Classics books that have been professionally formatted, annotated, and that contain footnotes and other commentary that other texts do not.  These books normally sell at B&N for an average of $3 apiece.  Some of them at various times have been offered as free selections, but not all of them have.  These are not Gutenberg versions, they are not Pubit versions, they are not the Golgotha Press compilations.  They are great versions.  And at least one person that already owns a NOOKcolor purchased from B&N has received one they bought from HSN and feels the books were worth it.  This is the stupidest issue ever about this whole HSN thread.

Consider also that many people have reported misinformation from retailers all over the place that are selling NCs-Best Buy, Walmart, and even B&N itself have all been quoted as dispensing misinformation.  And each of those stores have had associates that have been over-exuberant in stating something about the update.  HSN is just the most recent to get in line. 

Yes, HSN is loud and really out there, but enough with this garbage.  Read their description of it on their website.  Research the books they offer and see what they cost at B&N to buy individually. 

I don't buy from HSN, but I understand why some do.  Many people don't like the impersonal nature of mail order, don't like to use websites, like flexpay options, and other things.  HSN does hype, yes, but they didn't start the practice.  They actually just do it more effectively than many others.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Nallia

backlash48 wrote:

I'm a contractor and I give exact dates all of the time and that is the way things work!

You obviously know nothing about software development.  Try learning a bit about the subject you are complaining about first.

Distinguished Correspondent
likemynook

There have been over 3 million Nook Colors sold.  A handful of people are loudly complaining about the update being late and B&N not giving us a hard date, etc.  But my guess is that the vast majority of NC owners are very happy with their device and oblivious of the coming update.  I am sure B&N is aware of this and just doing the best they can to please the masses.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

I was a contractor and always tried to give exact dates, but let's face it, late deliveries from vendors, no shows from subs, things can happen to mess up the most sincere completion date.
Inspired Correspondent
NC-Kindle
0 Kudos

Somehow the word "pithy" comes to mind. Is that the right Word? I'm diligently trying to be the person my dogs think I am. Therefore it becomes necessary to say and think only pleasant tail-waggingly nice things about B&N. Ho Hum(woof). Meanwile, the Nookcolor is a very enjoyable, pleasing Device!
Contributor
backlash48
0 Kudos

So who are you, the software development guru? Tell me you are B&N's ceo and know everything or keep your insults to yourself!  If I own a Ford car I expect my information about that car to come from Ford not some internet news group and if all businesses operated with the attitude that we do things if and when we feel like this world would be a lot bigger mess than it already is!

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI

So what are you doing on these boards, why don't you send a letter or email to Barnes and Noble? Demand answers! Rise up! March on the corporate headquarters! Sell your nookcolor! Buy a kindle!