Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
Posts: 859
Registered: ‎03-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: B&N must be proud

. . . but are you not doing the same thing?  Making it all out to be bad, as though there is nothing good with the NC?

 

By the way, after rooting mine, I tried the Dolphin browser and went back to the NC default browser.  I do not like a browser without a dedicated "back" arrow button (drawing that "back" gesture is just too much time and effort)..

Frequent Contributor
ridgrnr
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎12-19-2010
0 Kudos

Re: B&N must be proud

 


richardwrite25 wrote:

 

By the way, after rooting mine, I tried the Dolphin browser and went back to the NC default browser.  I do not like a browser without a dedicated "back" arrow button (drawing that "back" gesture is just too much time and effort)..


I just started using the Miren browser (I've been trying them all!) and it has both forward and back buttons. It seems to be faster than most and has all the features I've been looking for including the ability to copy text. You can also switch user agents (how websites render web pages) so you have the option to view sites in mobile or desktop.

 

nkr
Frequent Contributor
nkr
Posts: 82
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: B&N must be proud

 


Desert_Brat wrote:

@nkr

 

Your argument would be persuasive were it not for the fact that the nook color is not the only thing people try to "improve." There are quite a few out there who love to see if they can make a new device run "better" or do something different.

 

Recall all the jailbreaking of the iPhones. With each generation of the product, it's a matter of days before somebody comes out with a program to unlock something new. Most people use their phones just the way they are, but others like to play and they do so knowing that they risk turning their expensive phone into a brick.

 

 

 

The difference, IMO, is that B&N hosts discussion on rooting.  Apple does not allow, and strictly enforces, discussions on the jailbreaking their devices --- there's that 'control thing' kicking in yet again :smileyvery-happy:.  

 

But B&N states in their forum guidelines that hacking discussion is not allowed, yet they do not enforce their own rules.  Getting 'into the weeds' on rooting is all over this board, which, BTW, is a general discussion board.  I could maybe see it over on the NC technical board, but not this one.

 

I realize that for tech savvy people, the challenge of pushing the NC to another realm is fun and enticing, but the fact that those instructions and links to web sites are on a 'general' discussion board implies that B&N has put their stamp of approval on hacking the NC, which could lead to novice users giving it a whirl.  B&N will then leave them dangling because they will not offer any help, whatsoever if the NC is bricked.

 

In my opinion, it encourages some owners who are less savvy to muck up their NC's and that is a disservice.

 

But, who am I to question their decision?  I don't own the device, but have recommended it to several people who don't want to spend the $$$ on one of the higher priced tablets.  These same folks would be the very ones who would have problems.


  

 

 

nkr
Frequent Contributor
nkr
Posts: 82
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: B&N must be proud

 


Serolf_Divad wrote:

l really do think that people come to these kinds of forums and assume that, because there's so much talk of "rooting" here, most of B&N's customers are out rooting (or trying to figure out how) their Nook Colors. But really, this board represents a tiny minority of Nook Color owners. Xda-developers represents a tiny minority of Nook Color owners. The fact that we're here at all is testament to our curiosity about the machine's capabilities (and in some cases, our impatience as we wait for B&N to open an App Store). And honestly, even on this board I see just as many people insiting that they bought the NC for reading and have no intention to root as I do people who say they'll root as soon as they figure out how.


Let's assume that I'm a newbie NC owner who has been told (maybe by a store clerk) that B&N will have a fully functioning app store for me to add cool apps to my NC.  I go to the B&N website to see how to do that.  Low and behold, right here on the NC General Discussion board are numerous threads on how to do that.  Nary a warning from B&N that following these steps will void my warranty.
Just saying.........

 

Wordsmith
melouria
Posts: 413
Registered: ‎12-28-2010

Re: B&N must be proud

I almost wish that B&N would disallow all the postings about "rooting".  I am not against free speech but I do think it just adds to the frustration felt by those of us trying to patiently wait for B&N to add an app store, Flash and whatever else they have planned.  Of course, I can just ignore the postings about rooting, but everytime I see one more person post "rooted and so happy!" I want to spit.   IMHO....it just adds to the feeling that our unrooted devices are somehow lacking when we see what all you with rooted devices are capable of.  

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
Posts: 369
Registered: ‎02-04-2011

Re: B&N must be proud

"and your right from your side as I'm right from mine"..........Bob Dylan

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
nkr
Frequent Contributor
nkr
Posts: 82
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: B&N must be proud

 


richardwrite25 wrote:

A) The fact that B&N allows these discussions shows that they are not threatened by free speech. They should be commended for that.

 

 

Well, we see this differently.  I don't think it has anything to do with 'free speech'.  I don't think it is commendable for a company to condone applying hacks to their device, which they are doing by allowing this information to appear on their boards. Then when things go down the tubes, they turn their backs on the customer, in essence saying, "well, you should have known we wouldn't cover your bricked device since you rooted it......never mind that we allowed posts on our web site and never mentioned that following those directions would render your NC worthless."


 

<snip>

 

C) I have noticed that lately, B&N has taken to marketing the NC as "The Reader's Tablet," as if they now know that it's not just an e-reader, but a genuine tablet, as well.

 

 

 

 

So, customers would expect it to work like the iPad?  Gmail, YouTube, Netflix movies......???  Nope, not unless it's rooted, right?  

 


 

 

E) If you find the NC "inadequate," then there must not be an e-reader on the market that you consider "adequate."

 

 

"I" don't consider it inadequate for most people.  I think it's perfectly fine just the way it is and have recommended it to several people.  My problem is with B&N allowing rooting info to be posted on their boards while fully intending to abandon customers who actually do root and have problems.

 

 

 


 

Reader 2
thef00l2
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎03-11-2011
0 Kudos

Re: B&N must be proud


nkr wrote:

 


Serolf_Divad wrote:

l really do think that people come to these kinds of forums and assume that, because there's so much talk of "rooting" here, most of B&N's customers are out rooting (or trying to figure out how) their Nook Colors. But really, this board represents a tiny minority of Nook Color owners. Xda-developers represents a tiny minority of Nook Color owners. The fact that we're here at all is testament to our curiosity about the machine's capabilities (and in some cases, our impatience as we wait for B&N to open an App Store). And honestly, even on this board I see just as many people insiting that they bought the NC for reading and have no intention to root as I do people who say they'll root as soon as they figure out how.


Let's assume that I'm a newbie NC owner who has been told (maybe by a store clerk) that B&N will have a fully functioning app store for me to add cool apps to my NC.  I go to the B&N website to see how to do that.  Low and behold, right here on the NC General Discussion board are numerous threads on how to do that.  Nary a warning from B&N that following these steps will void my warranty.
Just saying.........

 


will have and has are two different things.  There was a recent legal ruling regarding rooting/Jailbreaking.  Yes it is legal, yes per the warranty statement it will void your warranty if you admit it to the manufacturer but yes since it's software, it's easy to do a factory reset on the NC.

All manufacturers are required by law to state what is and is not covered by warranty in the statement. 

 

How much B&N monitors the boards is of course up for debate.  but it seems like it's moderated loosely.

 

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
Posts: 1,734
Registered: ‎12-14-2010

Re: B&N must be proud

 


nkr wrote:

But, who am I to question their decision?  I don't own the device ...


Hmmm ... so you are really posting here to complain about how B&N polices their forums?

 

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Registered: ‎02-15-2010

Re: B&N must be proud

[ Edited ]

I have no problem with the threads started to discuss rooting.  I have an issue with those who come into almost any thread, posted by someone asking a question about how to do something on his/her new NOOKcolor or how to solve a problem, and tell everyone to root.

 

Contrary to what some wish to believe, rooting does not solve all problems, nor is it the answer to everything.  It's great if rooting is the right answer for you, but it should be kept in mind that, in general, only about 5% of owners root their devices--any devices.  The vast majority of users who come here for help are trying to find answers as to how to best use their NOOKcolors as they are.  But their voices are increasingly being crowded out and this place is beginning to resemble xda-devs more than it is the welcoming general discussion area for all types of users.

 

Mostly, I am just tired of seeing the first page of this board dominated by posts discussing how "stupid" B&N is.  The most unfortunate part, though, is that this is only the beginning.  As soon as the Froyo update is pushed out or the app store opens, the vitriol on this board toward B&N will be overflowing.

 

I came here the day I got my NC in order to learn about my NC and to help others but I'm finding myself here less and less because people want to throw rooting or the inadequacies of B&N into every discussion, no matter what the original subject matter was about.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
Posts: 1,199
Registered: ‎06-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: B&N must be proud

 


richardwrite25 wrote:

. . . but are you not doing the same thing?  Making it all out to be bad, as though there is nothing good with the NC?

 

By the way, after rooting mine, I tried the Dolphin browser and went back to the NC default browser.  I do not like a browser without a dedicated "back" arrow button (drawing that "back" gesture is just too much time and effort)..


 

Nope just pointing out and forgot to mentioned I love my nook color!

But it does have blemishes and they may or may not affect the enjoyment of the individual users It's just not all that perfect device as lead to believe by some. And was pointing out at least with a rooted nook color you have a choice over browsers,readers and such.

 

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
Posts: 1,734
Registered: ‎12-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: B&N must be proud

I just remembered this. When I bought my nook 3G, the first book I bought from B&N was how to use the nook. Great book, spelled everything out in easy-to-understand style.

 

The very last portion of this e-book is all about how to root the nook (e-ink model).

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
nkr
Frequent Contributor
nkr
Posts: 82
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: B&N must be proud

[ Edited ]

 


Foot wrote:

So what a few people are rooting their nookcolors. I don't see why you are making such a big deal about it. What stake do you have in it anyway?

 

 

I look at it from a new owner's perspective since that's why I frequently come to these boards.  I don't own a NC, but I do recommend it to folks who ask about a tablet that is cheaper than the iPad.  

 

So, what's at stake is my reputation.....for recommending a product that B&N considers so unworthy in it's original form that they allow threads on hacking it to be posted on their very own web site instead of pushing out updates that would bring it up to speed and making it an awesome tablet.


 

My nookcolor is rooted and I will buy apps from the B&N nookcolor store when it is released. I believe in supporting software development paying for usefull applications. 

 

 

Good!  I want B&N to stay in business.  I want Apple and Samsung and RIM to have competition because it means we'll all enjoy better products.


 

<snip>

 

 

You wrote, "poorly designed/supported device" Certainly your opinion and I don't think one that is shared by the vast majority of people that visit this forum.

 

Not my opinion of the device, but my interpretation of those who alter it's operating system.  Here's my quote:

"As a potential customer, those threads certainly wouldn't inspire me to fork over $250 for a device if current owners thought it was such a poorly designed/supported device that I had to resort to hacking.....hacking that voids the warranty, fer Pete's sake!! 

 

Obviously, my interpretation can be questioned, but I dare say that some people root the NC for that very reason.  They thought it would do more than it does and they are willing to hack it, while sweating bullets that they don't brick the darn thing!


 

nkr
Frequent Contributor
nkr
Posts: 82
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: B&N must be proud

 


RodneyJT wrote:

Like others mentioned I don't think the Nookcolor is being rooted because of dissatisfaction with the device. It's because of curiosity and impatiance

 

 

Bingo!  

 

Impatience - dissatisfaction.  <shrug>


 

 

 

The Nookcolor is great at what I bought it for. Reading books and browsing the web. But I'm impatient and want more and it's also a great handheld computing device. So I root it.

 

Like people have done with the Microsoft Kinect they are doing with the Nookcolor. Unlocking and discovering it's potentials. Maybe Barnes and Noble will take the Microsoft route and encourage it seeing how well it does.

 

 

So, what is MS's stand on unlocking?  Do they allow threads on their boards?  Do they post guidelines discouraging it or are they cool with it?



 

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
Posts: 369
Registered: ‎02-04-2011

Re: B&N must be proud

[ Edited ]

nkr, you don't own a NOOKcolor? 

 

But yet you come to our boards and tell us what we should and should not talk about???

 

WOW!

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
DRV
Wordsmith
DRV
Posts: 344
Registered: ‎10-22-2009
0 Kudos

Re: B&N must be proud

 


nkr wrote:

 

B&N has built such a grand product that a huge number of their customers consider so inadequate that they have to hack it to bring it up to a level that they consider satisfactory.


This is the flaw in your logic.  People don't consider the NC inadequate, as you believe.  They merely want to make it better.  Do you own a car?  Have you ever added anything to it that wasn't put there by the manufacturer?  Floor mats?  Better headlights? Air freshener? :smileywink:  How about your computer?  Add more memory?  An external disk drive?  A bigger monitor?

 

Seriously, people do this all the time with all sorts of conusmer goods.  It doesn't mean they thought the original was indequate.

 

 

Wordsmith
melouria
Posts: 413
Registered: ‎12-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: B&N must be proud

Nallia you are so right!  I came here as a new NC owner in November looking for advice, tips and tricks, whatever.  Just the last month or so though rooting has became the major topic.  I feel for anyone just purchasing a NC who comes here looking for advice.   It has to be confusing for them.

 

And, IMO, if B&N is okay with everyone rooting their NC then they should sell the friggin' thing already "open"!  Then those of us without the technical savvy wouldn't be sitting here feeling left out or forced to purchase an already rooted SD card from Ebay. 

nkr
Frequent Contributor
nkr
Posts: 82
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: B&N must be proud

 


orb9220 wrote:

I Love this it's All either Black or White without experiencing the grays.

And thinking One way is right and another way is wrong. As this displays a basic flaw of human nature that has caused many wars of religions,countries and ideologies.

 

Why persons think their way of thinking is the only right way. And condem those that don't agree.

 

 

 

I don't have a problem with people rooting their Android devices or jailbreaking their Apple ones.  I just find it puzzling that B&N would support it on their web site.

 

 

 

First the NC isn't a perfect device. And has many missing reader features. Like pdf's handling is appaling. No bookmarks? No Highlighting? No goto page? Come on how can you say you handle pdf's when missing basic features. And B&N woun't even use the stock reader they give us. They use adobe that gives them that feature. That's right why the need for two different pdf readers?

 

How about reading now icon. Many times it forgets where you are. Or limited shelves and still no sorting on metadata. The list goes on and on. And that is just for reader functions. How about the less functioning web browser? Dolphin HD browser blows it out of the water. Or adding a better soft keyboard that gives you recent words as you type. Better video codec support. Choice of different readers to customize to your style and needs. Complaints about B&N book not available or priced to high. No problem install the Kindle reader. Guess what now have choices and open up fair competition between websites. And give you the individual the power to chose.

 

As to the statement of "Well yes but they are going to fix that" or "Maybe they will address that issue" in a firmware upgrade with no word if they are or when. Sorry that is not good enough for me. If they won't fix it or even give me an inkling as to their intention of fixing it. Then sorry I guess I will have to take control of the device and fix it myself.

 

 

 

And you have the ability to do just that.  Not all NC owners do.  


I think B&N is doing a disservice to those owners who would like all those features,  and are not secure enough to attempt the rooting process, therefore, they are stuck with a crippled device (in your opinion) until B&N decides to release upgrades.  They come on these boards and read about how their NC is not up to par. B&N is allowing posts all over these boards which imply that this brand new device that the owner holds in his hand needs to be hacked just to have some basic features, and by the way, here is the link to the hackers website detailing how to do that.

 


 

And no rooting Does Not void the warranty! How can it?  It's Software based and I can reset my nook back to factory fresh. So how could they void my warranty? Or even know I had it rooted at one time. They don't. Just mouthing generic standard operating procedure to cover themselves. And not to give the impression of supporting rooting from the company side.

 

 

But they do support rooting by the very presence of these threads.  It's an admission, IMO, that they fully intend to not support the device with regular upgrades or an app store.


I may be totally wrong....and hope I am, because I've recommended the NC to several people and they would not be capable of rooting their device. I'd like to see B&N keep it's customers happy.

 


 

nkr
Frequent Contributor
nkr
Posts: 82
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: B&N must be proud

 


dparrothead1 wrote:

nkr, you don't own a NOOKcolor? 

 

But yet you come to our boards and tell us what we should and should not talk about???

 

WOW!


 

Ummmmm......no.  I don't own a NC.  And no, I didn't tell YOU what to talk about.  I question B&N's stance on allowing 'rooting' threads on their boards.  


Are you not up for that type of discussion?

Correspondent
Grammaknits02
Posts: 253
Registered: ‎07-19-2010
0 Kudos

Re: B&N must be proud

 

 

 

But they do support rooting by the very presence of these threads.  It's an admission, IMO, that they fully intend to not support the device with regular upgrades or an app store.


 


How can you say that B&N does not intend to support the NC????  They have promised an upgrade with in the first quarter of 2011.  Their first quarter ends in April...so they have plenty of time yet.  Just because the threads are all here about rooting does not imply that B&N supports it.  The fact that rooting voids the warranty is proof enough that they don't support it.  I'm wondering if when the new upgrade comes, if rooted nookcolors will become bricked.  ONly time will tell.  There was all kinds of speculation and hype surrounding the original nook when the last upgrade did not come out according to the customer's timetable.  That is what is happening here as well.  Can we not just enjoy our NookColors for what they were intended for?  A great eraeader??? If you want a tablet, go buy an iPad, or a Galaxy or a Xoom.  If you want a great reader, get the Nookcolor, enjoy it and be patient...B&N has not disappointed me yet as far as I'm concerned...I loved my original Nook and I love my NookColor.

 

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis