Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
acov2184
0 Kudos

BN Protection Plan....worth the $$?

OK folks, I'm doing it.  I'm diving in and getting a Nook Color!  My current question is about the Protection Plan.  Is it worth the extra money?  I'm not hard on things...in fact I tend to take excellent care of them.  Is the $55 worth the services that I may or may not need?

Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder
0 Kudos

Re: BN Protection Plan....worth the $$?

I've been using Square Trade, they seem to be the best I have found so far. I'm usually not one to get extended plans, but i had an incident where the device failed and it cost me far more than the plan to replace it. Since then, I hae bitten the bullet and paid the 60 or so dollars it costs for the plan. With some of the issues described here with the NC lately, it might be worth considering?

"Keep me, Protect me, Share me, and I Will Live Forever"
From the Kodak Gallery, A powerful & Moving Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdWwqAI6x9A
Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I purchased the 2 year warranty because I have a five year old in the house. When we bought our second nc, I went with the three year Squaretrade warranty with accident protection. I figure with spills and accidental damage coverage, drops and such, the extra expense was worth it for our family.

btw: With squaretrade, you can add the warranty within the first 90 days of purchase...I liked that option.
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Correspondent
moogs
0 Kudos

The nook is covered for 1 year against failure.

Buy yourself a protective case so that when you accidentally drop it, the case takes the impact and saves the device.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

I don't buy extended warranties for any electronics or appliances. Then i keep track of those savings and apply them to any repairs or replacements. I am SO ahead of the game. But, i don't have children in the house, no dogs with waggy tails and no kittykats jumping about. It is a decision you need to make for yourself. :smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
sahm8108

I got a 3 year square trade warranty for $30.  It's well worth it. I too have a 3 year who plays with my nook color. She has dropped it a couple times.  Luckly its been on carpet and the silicone cover helps too.  I find that electronics are good for the first couple years but by the third year things start to go wrong.  It's nice to have that extended warranty in case those things do start happening.

Inspired Contributor
barsu
0 Kudos

I also bought a 3 yr Square Trade warranty. It's the best warranty around and the best price. I have everything covered by them and they do give great service if something happens
Inspired Contributor
barsu
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

acov2184 wrote:

OK folks, I'm doing it.  I'm diving in and getting a Nook Color!  My current question is about the Protection Plan.  Is it worth the extra money?  I'm not hard on things...in fact I tend to take excellent care of them.  Is the $55 worth the services that I may or may not need?

No matter how careful someone is, accidents do happen.  Ask yourself if you're willing to purchase another NookColor should the first one die a premature death due to an accident.  If you're not, you may want to check out the extended warranty options.  

Frequent Contributor
Judy54JR
0 Kudos

I have both the nook 3g and the nook color and I got the warranties for both and have been very happy that I did. I would also suggest that you buy it from BN itself instead of Best Buy, etc. This is why; a few months after I got my 3G nook my battery froze up and I took into the store and got a new battery right then; now I've had my color nook for 6 months and had problems due to the update. After doing all of the trouble shooting and the useless calls to customer support I took it to my store and the manager switched it out for a brand new one and told me that if that didn't work he'd refund my money (which I so didn't want). If I had gotten it from Best Buy, etc the BN manager told me he couldn't have refunded my money since that would have been up to the source that I bought it. Who knows what they would have done. I know alot of people buy thiers on ebay, Best Buy etc bu I know that in the store BN has never failed me and I've always walked out of the store happier than when I went in. I don't know why their customer service people arent as good as the ones in the store. I guess it's because they don't deal with you face to face. I would and do recommend the Nook to everyone and even with the frustrations with the update all I wanted was it to be fixed and prayed it wouldn't come to them giving me my money back. I researched eReaders for about a year before I bought one and BN is the best one. With the update and the apps, especially for me the calendar it now is also like having an organizer and ereader all in one. Enjoy it and If you have any issues go to the store and they will help you faster than the store.

Correspondent
IzzysNook
0 Kudos

I've never purchased an extended warranty plan for anything.  My VISA automatically doubles the warranty on whatever I buy, mirroring whatever the manufacturer's warranty provides.

We've only had to use it a few times, but it was pretty much hassle-free each time.

Frequent Contributor
Ostracus
0 Kudos

The general warrenty it's 90, but for the accidental I believe it's 30.

Frequent Contributor
acov2184
0 Kudos

How do the Square Trade warranties work?  I've never heard of them before.....Do I have to purchase the warranty at the time of the product purchase, or can I buy it a few weeks down the road? 

Frequent Contributor
Bellesteacher
0 Kudos

I purchased to just be safe. I didn't for an Mac and it crashed. Someone told me if you buy the protection for any product and don't use it, at least go in and get the battery replaced. That way you are getting your money worth.

Contributor
summerq4
0 Kudos

I was planning on buying a 3 yr squaretrade warranty, but then they upped the price last weekend. It went from $49.99 to $65.99 for a 3 yr warranty. They have a 30% off code just about every Tuesday, but I thought that a 32% increase in one weekend, was ridiculous, so I probably won't buy a warranty from them now.

Frequent Contributor
Ostracus
0 Kudos

http://squaretrade.force.com/support/knowledgeSupport

The above answers most of your questions. I should also make a note that there's an interpretation of one of their terms that could affect people who root and the plan length.