Frequent Contributor
cmpetronelli
0 Kudos

Battery replacement

You know what I don't understand we keeping asking for all these app.ect. But what about a replacement battery. Shouldn't"t  it be  one of the priority's my thought

Inspired Contributor
snickersfl
0 Kudos

Re: Battery replacement

I agree.  The Apps really use up the battery.

Inspired Wordsmith
TigerShawk

I don't know how much you know about hardware/software, but a software update will not produce a replacable battery.  There is nothing that B&N can do to turn your NC into a device that can have its battery replaced, unless they give you a differently designed NC.

Inspired Contributor
Gottaluvit
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have asked if they will have a program to replace the battery after warranty .. so far the answer is no they don't as of now , but might and then I have also been told straight out no they will not have one and that once the warranty is gone and the battery dies thats it .. but who knows what they will do .. it is a work in progress so I am giving them time .

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

Do a search.  The battery is owner replaceable.  Just right now, no one makes a battery for the NookColor.  But seeing how the NC is less than a year old, that should not be an issue.

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
New User
CinciCathi
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy:  Wow, you never know where you'll find a rainbow.  I didn't have a battery problem, but I LOVE your dancing in the rain statement and I will use it.  Thank you

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

Priority? No. The type of battery in the NC should last 3 years or longer with average usage. By that time something new and better will be around. There are no tablets on the market (to my knowledge) with replaceable batteries.

Some of the techs have figured out how to replace the battery but at this point it's not something the average user would (or should) do. Will they have a program in place in a few years where you can return your device and they will replace the battery? That's not known yet.

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

CinciCathi wrote:

:smileyvery-happy:  Wow, you never know where you'll find a rainbow.  I didn't have a battery problem, but I LOVE your dancing in the rain statement and I will use it.  Thank you

You are certainly welcome to it.....I think I might have read that on a t-shirt somewhere!!!:smileyvery-happy:

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

cmpetronelli wrote:

You know what I don't understand we keeping asking for all these app.ect. But what about a replacement battery. Shouldn't"t  it be  one of the priority's my thought

Your battery is under warranty, if it fails to hold a charge, it will be replaced (the whole NC) for free.

If you're looking for a larger battery....since "officially" the NC's battery isn't user replaceable (in actuality...it is very easy to replace) then a bigger battery can't be sold as an accessory.

The battery in the NC is a 4000maH battery which should last for about 8 hours reading as long as brightness isn't turned up high and WiFi is turned off.

If you've got WiFi turned on....that alone will cut the time between your NC needing recharged.

Remember...B&N originaly never sold this as a "tablet" but as an "eReader" although they have now changed its description to "Reader's Tablet"

People rooted and found it to be a decent tablet also and B&N has always said it would be improved with apps that relate to the "reading experience"

I don't know how Angry Birds relates to a reading experience...but it is a fun app, but you know, it does eat the battery as does anything that causes the CPU to actually do work.

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Gottaluvit wrote:

I have asked if they will have a program to replace the battery after warranty .. so far the answer is no they don't as of now , but might and then I have also been told straight out no they will not have one and that once the warranty is gone and the battery dies thats it .. but who knows what they will do .. it is a work in progress so I am giving them time .

Whoever told you that, I will bet was not an executive type who actually gets to make those decisions.   You're hearing rumor and that's all it is.    No one's NC battery will lose warrant until sometime in November...or later.   So until November gets here, any conjecture on replacement parts is just a guess.

I can say this....for every electronic device I've owned that required a replacement battery, one has been available from several sources once the original warranties ran out.   Right now, there is almost zero market for a battery maker to offer a replacement.   That will change in November and that's when I expect you'll start to see them available.

As to a larger battery.....until some improved chemistry comes along, the power per cc of battery size is kind of fixed, so a more powerful battery would be bigger (thus heavier) and probably would NOT fit where the current battery goes.   The 'fixins' in the NC are packed pretty tight.

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

I am hoping the battery last two years, if the cost is 1/3 the price of a newer faster more function NC, guess what, I'm not wasting that money on trying to keep my old tech working.  However if I need a 2nd device then the battery replacement price is ok provided the NC is working fine and I can give it to another in the family.

Most of these gadgets has a 2 year life cycle, something new, faster will be available then and most people opt for the new.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Angry Birds does eat up the battery, but I have literally gone from full charge to about half charge, playing it for an hour here, left for an hour, come back and played, and so on for all told about 4-5 hours.  I haven't just played AB, but have surfed the web, read part of a book, gone to the shop area.  But wifi has also been on the whole time.  This seems like pretty good use on mine.

And about batteries.  Not really relevant here, but of interest and I don't know what the NC's battery looks like, but some trends are toward more liquid batteries or batteries that are not in hard cases at all, so that in smaller electronics they don't have to have one bigger space, but can be draped kind of within a void.  I found it interesting.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

well then, how about an external battery on a cord that can plug into the charging port?  Low profile connector for vertical use please.

Inspired Contributor
Momma_Mimi-718
0 Kudos

Speaking of batteries, has any one tried the solar ones, would be nice to be able to be out and about