Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
MadScntst
0 Kudos

Re: Best way to combat Inflated E-book pricing?

[ Edited ]

you know i had a nice logical argument all planned out one with point counter points, rebuttals and discourse. then i got bored with it and came up with a way better one.

to combat inflated ebook pricing we just need to stop teaching people how to read and end the purchase of books. we need to start having traveling story tellers that for a warm bed, food, and all the mind altering drugs/drinks they can stomach give us their wares. so to arms, to arms. we march. i before e except after c shall be cast down so that the spoken word which no man my own nor charge for reigns supreme. the cavanas shall be our thoughts and the words shall tickle our ears. so march. march to schools and cast down the oppressive written words. the shackles of type. who's with me?

Tinkering with things best left untinkered......wait a second where does this thing go?
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

MadScntst wrote:

you know i had a nice logical argument all planned out one with point counter points, rebuttals and discourse. then i got bored with it and came up with a way better one.

to combat inflated ebook pricing we just need to stop teaching people how to read and ergo end the purchase of books. we need to start having traveling story tellers that for a warm bed, food, and all the mind altering drugs/drinks they can stomach. so to arms, to arms. we march. i before e except after c shall be cast down so that the spoken word which no man my own nor charge for reigns supreme. the cavanas shall be our thoughts and the words shall tickle our ears. so march. march to schools and cast down the oppressive written words. the shackles of type. who's with me?

"My lord and lady, we have fortuitously happended upon these, er, strolling players, who will provide you with goodly tunes while you set about your prandial delights...albeit in the lamentable absence of your guests. So, my lord and lady, for your entertainment..."

-- Jethro Tull, The Minstrel In The Gallery

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Contributor
USMC_Bill

It will all boil down to supply and demand in the end. If they inflate the cost of ebooks too much, they will create the "tower record effect".

Tower Record Effect - N - The direct result of overpricing cds above 29.99 in some cases that results in an increase in illegal downloading to the end result of you going out of business.

As long as they don't get greedy, they will be fine.  But once pirating becomes easy, perhaps easier then actually going to the site and downloading (as music pirating became), then pandora's box will have opened, letting out all the free reads and never returning the cash.

Frequent Contributor
Catfanatic1979v1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I try not to buy anything over 9.99 except for a few books here and there which are obviously more valuable than that (usually informational).

Bibliophile
bklvr896

So many things here.

1.  The Fifth Witness is #5 of the eBook best seller list, so apparently the price isn't deterring a lot of folks.

2.  Amanda Hocking just signed with a big publisher, so there are apparently more benefits to being with a big publisher or she would have kept on self-publishing.  Publishers provide more than marketing services, they provide editing, legal services, advances, publishing, distribution and of course marketing.  Writers want to write, they don't want to be editors/proofreaders/lawyers/accountants/banks/publishers/distributers.  They want to be writers.

3.  While servers may live for a long time and there are minimal costs in running, they have to be maintained, patched, updated etc, and the people to do that cost money.  Not to mention you want security on those servers which has to be monitored, maintained etc.  It's really not just a case of throwing up a server and then ignoring it until it reaches the end of its life cycle.

4.  While not a breakdown per se, here's NYT article that discusses pricing.  http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/weekinreview/17rich.html

5. You can't compare used book store prices to the eBooks and the cost of a new copy of a book, regardless of the age, doesn't go down at retailers.  Books published 10 years ago are still the same price at B&N, Amazon, etc, and possible a dollar to two more.  

6.  The idea that because it's not a tangible item, (ie something you can hold in our hand) is a problem with our perception of things, not in pricing.  Why shouldn't a downloaded digital copy of a movie be close to the same price as a Blu-Ray or DVD version?  The packaging is minimal, it's the content where the cost is, so why should it be significantly less simply because you can't hold it in your hand? 

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

>> I'm sure a lot of readers on here would happily pay around $20 a month for, say, 3 EBOOKS a month.  Not sure exactly how it would work, but if they followed some kind of Netflix model, I think they could clean up.<<

It could work like Audible.com.  One pays a certain amount of money for X number of audiobooks a month.  I spend $23 a month for 2 credits, which generally amounts to 2 books (there are a few 2 credit books.)  If I opt for two books that cost, say $30, I make out.  If it happens I just want to listen to one that is on sale, I lose. But in the end, I think it's a good model. 

As far as e-books and best sellers: well, to me, that's what the library is for.  I really don't need to read the latest best seller NOW. I can put my name on the wait list at the library, and read it wne my turn comes around.  I love my NC and I'm an eager e-book reader--but I don't have to become an exclusive e-book reader.  If the Nook version is too much, there are the other options, and I'll take advantage of them.

Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bklvr896 wrote:

. . .
3.  While servers may live for a long time and there are minimal costs in running, they have to be maintained, patched, updated etc, and the people to do that cost money.  Not to mention you want security on those servers which has to be monitored, maintained etc.  It's really not just a case of throwing up a server and then ignoring it until it reaches the end of its life cycle. 

Until I see hard numbers comparing servers' cost and the cost of machinery [and supplies] used in production of DTBs, I am inclined to shrug at that argument as something the publishers pulled outta their back pockets to baffle the bamboozlable.

(I do not have conflicting data, that's just my suspicion.)

Then, bklvr896 wrote:

6.  The idea that because it's not a tangible item, (ie something you can hold in our hand) is a problem with our perception of things, not in pricing.  Why shouldn't a downloaded digital copy of a movie be close to the same price as a Blu-Ray or DVD version?  . . . it's the content where the cost is, so why should it be significantly less simply because you can't hold it in your hand? 

:smileysurprised:As a paying consumer, I don't ever consider my perception to be "a problem".  A pox upon any purveyor who perceives otherwise! :smileyvery-happy:

In the long term, successful vendors share that view.  Tangibility, as any element of any discretionary purchase, has value if the customer perceives it as such.

Tangibility also provides easy and repeated transference of ownership and/or possession.  That is not currently the case w/ eBooks. 

bklvr896 included:

The packaging is minimal, it's the content where the cost is . . . 

While packaging cost may be "minimal", it is nevertheless an element in pricing and cannot be casually discarded as though of no consequence. 

bklvr896 also wrote:

So many things here.

1.  The Fifth Witness is #5 of the eBook best seller list, so apparently the price isn't deterring a lot of folks. 

Like it or not, that is the only argument that really matters.:smileyindifferent:  As always,

the Bottom Line is the Bottom Line.

With the above in mind, I'm hoping today's Free Friday eBook is to my taste.:smileyhappy: 

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Reader 4
denverbroncosgirl
0 Kudos

Giving the overpriced ebooks a bad review is definitely NOT the answer. I really don't understand the thought process on this topic. Yes, I agree that some ebooks are overpriced, however it is NOT the author's fault. He/she has NO CONTROL over the price. Books should be rated on content, plot, characters, talent, & prose.  Not bad editing or high prices. People who do this are slamming the author's hard work without ever having read the book!  The author has poured endless hours, heart, & soul into their work and to be "graded" before it has ever been read is just wrong! Instead of giving the book a bad review because of a high price, just DON"T BUY IT!  It's kind of like giving a movie a bad review because the movie tickets cost too much or your snacks at the concession stand were too expensive.

Contributor
suziebea
0 Kudos

Get your ebooks from a library!!  My library didn't have ebooks, but is part of group of libraries called Access Pennsylvania, so with my local library card i went to a neighboring towns library that has ebooks and got their card.  I will never set foot in either library, but I am downloading the books I want to read for free.  Only drawbacks are sometimes you have to wait for what you want to read, but I have so much I want to read, that I just place them on hold and am then notified when they become available.  This is great for someone like me who finds an author and then wants to read everything in the series they have written.  Now i'm checking out the Free Library of Philadelphia...out of state cost is $35 which if you're a big reader is not much, that would be less than 3 BN books at 12.99 book which is where a lot of books are.

Frequent Contributor
canytkd
0 Kudos

My nook basically holds free ebooks and discounted ebooks. I can't stomach paying the same or more for an ebook that I can then only share once instead of passing it around to family and friends. What a waste. So unless an ebook is free or a great bargain, or the only available version (sometimes older books can't be purchased in print but an ebook is available), I buy the printed book. I also plan to start borrowing ebooks from the library. No more full price or even near full price ebooks for me.

Frequent Contributor
canytkd
0 Kudos

Just read the linked articles. Good information. Why can't publishers follow the home video/DVD model - publish only the hardcover for the first year. If someone wants to read it badly enough (ie it's a bestselling author), they pay that price. After the first year, publish paperbacks and offer ebooks, but by that time the ebook needs to at a discount compared to the paperback. As stated, they make up in volume what they lose in per unit profit.

Wordsmith
mariel9898

Jenniisme wrote:

I hate to say this, but WHO CARES?

We care otherwise no one would have posted this and no one would have answered.

There are two issues here - one is the general price of e-books the other is e-books being sold for more than the hardcover. There is no reason other than publishers following an outdated model that an e-book should be more than the same book in hardcover. It's a very hot topic at the moment and I assure you that many people do care.