Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif

Best way to combat Inflated E-book pricing?

Most of us love to read and as proof we paid big bucks for our ereaders. Thus we not only can read anywhere at anytime, but we can even carry around all the books we love.  However loving our ereader & books,  and though we are willing to pay $150-$250 for our ereaders, doesn't mean we are willing to keep forking over extra hard earned cash for the privilage of reading a digital book on our ereader.  Many digital books are selling for more than than the hardback version is this going to be the status quo as demand increases for digital ebooks because publishers are convinced the public will pay?  Or, can we expect in the near future that distributors and publishers will develop a more favorable pricing model that fits the new digital market with lower pricing?

What would be the best way to influence Amazon and B&N to convince publishers on digital book pricing?

Boycott over priced digital books?

Massive email campaign to publishers?

Massive email campaign to authors?

Or other methods to influence ebook pricing, and what would those methods be?

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Re: Best way to combat Inflated E-book pricing?

The only thing that would get their attention would be if everyone, everywhere (and not just on this minuscule microcosm we call the forum) suddenly quit buying ebooks. 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Wordsmith
mariel9898

Are you referring to the broohaha on Amazon over Michael Connelly's new book The Fifth Witness? For those that don't know, there is an uproar over at Amazon because the Kindle edition is more money than the hardback edition, so people are bombarding the book with one star reviews to call attention to the fact that this is unfair and they are tired of it.

I got wind of this from a few other sites (interesting conversations here BTW ). I actually wrote a one star review stating that while it's a good start to call attention to the problem, you need to let the publisher know by bombarding them directly via web site, e-mail, phone, Facebook, Twitter, etc, but most importantly that you have to stop buying from Little, Brown & Co. If they do this other publishers will follow. If they see the discontent they may back down.

Good thing my TBR stack (or should I say files?) is large at the moment because I'm boycotting several publishers.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

mariel9898, YES I read an article on Connelly's "The Fifth Witness", and the boycott / one * review protest.  But I have been thinking about the issue for sometime.  The whole sales/inventory business model for brick and mortar book stores doesn't apply to online digital books, so it will be interesting to see how things shake out in the near future.

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

I for one hope this works. I've never read anything by Micheal Connelly and probably never will, and the rude response on his Facebook page really turned me off. I'm not sure why this book is the straw that broke the camel's back but so be it.

I think that the price of an e-book when it first comes out should be equal to the price of a hardcover less the costs for paper, binding, storage, shipping, and distribution - in short all the costs that are not incurred for e-books.

Publishers are being extremely stupid by not learning from the mistakes of the music industry. Oh well, maybe we'll see the big 6 go under. Won't be too much of a loss as far as I'm concerned.

Inspired Correspondent
Mupples

I'm going to keep a close eye on this thread because I'm interested also. My money doesn't stretch as far as it used to and I miss those pre-agency days. I find that I hardly buy at all anymore and that's really the only way I can fight, even if it is unintentional. But I'm not running out and buying their paperbacks either. I control where I spend my (book) money and if I can't get my ebooks at a resonable price then they aren't getting my money for their paperbacks.

In my state (Maryland) there's an increase of fees and taxes for almost everything (pub trans, energy use, gas tax, food, water, tuition,state services).

I know this isn't everyones situation, but all those things affect me and really there isn't anything to do about it. Ebooks are one more thing in my life increasing constantly in price and i'd love to know a way to push back. I'm already doing it with my money but I fear it's not enough.

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

Arghh, ye dasardly corporations who price gouge.

Walk the plank mateys.

Pirate Pirate Pirate.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Distinguished Correspondent
Spijder

People will pay what they can afford or think something is worth.  It doesn't even need an organized boycott.. the personal budgets of readers will naturally result in lower sales.   I personally don't waste my time complaining about not being able to afford ebooks by the big-name authors.  My budget has me sifting through the many cheaper (or free) ebooks, discovering a lot of really awesome lesser known and new authors (or hitting those classics again thanks to lists like yesterday's post about the free classics).  It's not like there's not anything more interesting to get cheaper anyway ;p

"They ... they have this horrible ... pudding here. Butterscotch pudding on Mondays, it's dreadful." ~Dr. Walter Bishop: Fringe
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

[ Edited ]

I have enough to-be-read books now that I am pretty much already "boycotting" the publishers.  Only a few were purchased, and the recent deluge of freebies has insured that I won't run out of reading material in the near (or medium) future.  :smileywink:

And you know what?  I still have a fairly decent DTB library, with many tomes that deserve to be read once (or twice) again.  Screw 'em. :smileymad:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

So this really needed to be added on top of all the other "high priced ebook threads"?  Really, there are never enough of these.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Correspondent
FredOak3

Well if even one publisher comes to these forums and witnesses all the discontent over price then having so many posts is worth it.

And it is frustrating, it is evident that we are moving to digital content but to keep the same retail model is just crazy. All it is going to do is force people to look to alternative means to get the material.

I would have no problem buying a e-book that is priced slightly lower than the printed version. But to charge me the same price (or higher), not going to happen, and I'll vote with my wallet.

gnkc

deemure wrote:

So this really needed to be added on top of all the other "high priced ebook threads"?  Really, there are never enough of these.

On one hand, posters get berated for posting to old threads. On the other hand, posters get berated for opening new threads.

Let's make up our minds. :smileytongue:

Inspired Correspondent
EarthTiger13

Besides, who wants to hunt down he appropriate thread on page "middle of nowhere" out of 50+ pages of threads? It's much easier to start a new one.
[singing] The wonderful thing about tiggers / Is tiggers are wonderful things / Their tops are made out of rubber / Their bottoms are made out of springs / They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy fun, fun, fun, fun, fun / But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one / IIIII'm the only one! [growls] ~ Tigger
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

decent article ----->  

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/will_e-book_prices_restrictions_lead_to_e-book_pir.php

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Contributor
Alizer
0 Kudos

Book pricing will continue to be a hot topic, unless you've got a bottomless pocket.

My solution is the public library. I borrow eBooks from new authors to expand my reading horizon, and buy the eBooks I know I will read over and over again.

Brick and mortar book stores worry about eBooks undermining their existence and I think the high eBook pricing reflects that fear. I continue to buy printed books anyway, because nothing beats the experience of turning pages and the look of print on paper. Mind you I love my NOOKcolor but ...,

Publishers need to beware though. Authors need them for marketing now, but with social media maybe not forever. Established authors self publishing digitally would bring down eBook pricing (and cut them out of the profit) so maybe they should consider that possibility when they set their prices.

Wordsmith
mariel9898

deemure wrote:

This does belong in a new thread because while it encompasses the topic of e-books that are overpriced it also deals with what people are doing about it. As can be seen, plenty of people are saying "enough" and voting with their wallets. It also deals specifically with this case where the e-book price is higher than the hardcover which is just utterly ridiculous.

We know from other threads what your opinion on the subject is and you are entitled to it but I have yet to hear any convincing arguments as to why the price of many e-books is equivalent and in some cases more than the hardcover price. I have never been of the mind that publishers should not make money or that they should cap the price at $3, but I also don't believe in price gouging which is what they are doing.

The publishers are shooting themselves in the foot by doing this. They are encouraging stripping and copying. There are those that never learn from the mistakes of others and if the publishing industry doesn't want to learn from what happened in the music industry they will deserve what they get.

Frequent Contributor
NookwormNY
0 Kudos

The "Kindle Uprising" is nothing new. This has been on-going at B&N for as along as there have been Nooks. Unfortunately, all of the well-placed outrage and threatened boycotts will accomplish nothing as long as people (myself included) continue to grouse and then go out and buy the books.

Have you noticed that the NYT Book Review now lists - and compares - e-book and hardcover Best Sellers? It is interesting to see how many books are sole in e-version more than in paper. THIS is what keeps the publishers thriving. And don't assume that free books or library downloads will send any messages. YOU may not have paid for the book, but somebody else did, so the cycle continues.

With the profligation of cross-system tablets (reading kindle and nook on an iPad - and now reading kindle on a NC) the publishers are only going to be selling more e-books than ever before.

I'm afraid we are left with 2 real  choices: suck it up and pay the increased prices or go back to paper. This may sound like doom-and-gloom for the future of e-reading (I am NOT ready to give up my NC and Nook 3g Classic) but I see little to be accomplished here other than feeling better at having vented...and I do.:smileymad:

Getting off my sopa box now. Thankyouverymuch

DrAstro
0 Kudos

These publishers are in this to make money.  I'd like to see a breakdown of the cost for bringing out a hardcover book versus an ebook.  Does anyone have those numbers?

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

[ Edited ]

I contend that the current state of affairs cannot last.  Ebooks are already on the P2P networks.  Publishers (and authors) were apparently asleep during the period that saw the music industry being dragged, kicking and screaming, into the digital age with a fundamental shift of their paradigm. 

Even movie studios have figured out how to reduce piracy: a) lower prices, and b) provide more value for what you do pay.  This includes the behind-the-scenes, the-makings-of, pre-production sketches, etc. The combination of these things increased the consumer's perceived value of the product.  It became almost more effort to download than to pick up a DVD with all the extras for $8.99 at the Wal-Mart.

Actually, B&N already does this to an extent.  You can find free copies of classic books all over, but the properly formatted B&N Classic Series also comes with extras such as famous-author reviews of the work, histories, and other insights.  For this they charge $3-$4 and for some people, this is value-added.

Currently, publishers are following the antithesis of this model; they charge us more, but deliver less.  Less, in that you have no physical copy...if your device breaks and your computer is down, you have no way to consume your purchased content.  However, we accept this, and understand the ca-ca occurs, and purchase extended warranties or whatever.  But we still get less.  You can note and highlight a real book to your heart's content, but we've already seen that, at least with the NC, you run the risk overflowing its capacity for notes.  You can loan a real book, any real book, to anyone you like, as often as you like.  And when you're done, you can SELL the book you purchased, a concept totally ignored, it seems, in the current model (yes, I know, they would like you to not be able to even loan or re-sell real books...sorry, I bought it, I can do what I damn well please with it.  Can't do that with ebooks).

So, the price keeps going up, and the restrictions keep increasing, until, just like music and movies, suddenly it's the legitimate consumers who have pay more for the privilege off being forced to jump through DRM hoops, and the pirates suffer not.  And they wonder why consumers think their product is over-priced.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Wordsmith
Sardonicus

[ Edited ]

deemure wrote:

What does it hurt? 

The intent of the OP is clearly stated in the subject line.  Those who aren't interested need only scroll past and move along to what they prefer, right?:smileyindifferent::smileyhappy:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell