Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
mikehill33

Blog/RSs Reader Concept (thoughts & feedback sought)

[ Edited ]

Nook owner for a few weeks, been exploring reading my Google Feeds on here.

Tried Nookfeeds.com but wasn't impressed (too many text links, hard to click around).

So, I sketched up what I think would be a good Nook RSS reader.

full image here: http://mikehill33.com/mockups/NookFeedReaderMOCKUP1.png

Thoughts?

Nook mockup

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

Re: Blog/RSs Reader Concept (thoughts & feedback sought)

[ Edited ]

Mike,

that looks like a good start.  A couple comments:

Nook mockup

1) on devices like this, screen space is a scarce commodity.  You always want to make the best use of it.  So things like the "Save" and "Like" at the bottom need to be moved up, say between Next and Previous.

2) I'm not sure if the scroll bar on the left is really meant to be a scrollbar, or just a position/size indicator, but your entire feed source list should be scrollable just by swiping anywhere in it.  Don't make people try to grab a tiny slider thumb.  Differentiate selection in the list from scrolling by looking for taps (touch and release), vs.press and slide.

3) along the same lines as 1), the whole feed selector column on the left should be collapsable, to maximize available reading space.  It's only 600-wide to start, and permanently sacrificing a chunk of that for buttons is not optimal.  You could add an Expand/Collapse button at the top left of screen, in the available space there.

4) with 3) in place, you'll want to move the Settings button out of that panel, and into the main area.  Possibly between the Prev/Next buttons.  You don't want to have to do a multi-step process to access those options.

5) you might want a button to collapse/expand the articles in the list too.  Maybe even cycle through 3 levels of Subject Lines, Abstracts, and Full.  Or just the paragraph-style view you have, plus a Brief mode with a condensed list.  Then have a More button/word on each, to expand an individual item.  That way, you could skim through a lot of items more quickly, then 'zoom in' to see more details on specific items of interest.

That's all I've got.

- Mark

P.S.  I re-embedded your sketch here, so in case the original got revised later with an enhanced version, my comments would still make sense.

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

Mike,

I don't know if you're still here, but I came up with one more:

6)  a 'fisheye' mode option, where as you scroll through a condensed blog item list, the central item is automatically zoomed into a detail view.  That minimizes the need to constantly zoom in and out manually.

- Mark

Inspired Correspondent
The_Imperfect
0 Kudos

On my NookColor, I just use the mobile version of my Google Reader RSS.  You need to set your browser settings to Mobile mode (and may need to go to a mobile version, like m.google.com or something the first time).  It took me a couple tries, but I'm very happy with it now. 

On my Nook Classic, I ultimately had to get a workaround url that works great, but it didn't seem to properly sync which items were being read.

Contributor
mikehill33
0 Kudos

Awesome feedback everyone.

I'll get started on an update, and then see who can make the app!

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

Mike,

I also meant to point out...

> Tried Nookfeeds.com but wasn't impressed (too many text links, hard to click around). <

It's nookfeed.com, not nookfeeds.com.  Just in case anyone else was confused.

- Mark