Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Re: Book prices are a rip-off

philoso4 wrote:

"COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies."

What?

Cookies.    We has them.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Oh yeah I know were I was going with that... The Pub Cos are trying to take this new medium and turn it into more personel profit.  Yeah Thats it.  :smileywink:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

phoneboy I agree with you. Corporations are all about the quick money now and tend not to think about the future. Publishers are struggling to deal with the new reality and mucking it up big time - it's not that complicated. Well the phoenix rises out of the ashes so we'll see what happens in the next year or so.

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

Deemure: so, so sorry to hear about your cat. I have 6 cats, and two of them are sisters and almost 16 years old. They are not doing very well. Best wishes to you and your cat.
Distinguished Correspondent
k2nax
0 Kudos

I've forgotten which law states this, but somewhere I heard that the price of an item should go down by an order of magnitude when the technology significantly evolves (similar the Moore's Law in the computer industry.) If this is to hold true, then in the end game of digital publishing, books will be $2.99 or so. 

This did not hold true for the music industry as digital albums are still the same price as CDs.  HOWEVER, most people do not buy full albums anymore.  They spend $.99 on just the tracks they want from particular artists which is less than 10% of the cost of the album.  Maybe we will see something similar in the epub industry.  Food for thought...

It is better to have loved your nook and lost,
than never to have loved your nook at all.
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

k2nax wrote:

I've forgotten which law states this, but somewhere I heard that the price of an item should go down by an order of magnitude when the technology significantly evolves (similar the Moore's Law in the computer industry.) If this is to hold true, then in the end game of digital publishing, books will be $2.99 or so. 

This did not hold true for the music industry as digital albums are still the same price as CDs.  HOWEVER, most people do not buy full albums anymore.  They spend $.99 on just the tracks they want from particular artists which is less than 10% of the cost of the album.  Maybe we will see something similar in the epub industry.  Food for thought...

Back when CDs 1st came out Me and a couple buddies tried to get the record companies to allow us to make custom CDs. We even offered a premium on the individual license cause we believed people would pay a bit more for a CD with all the songs THEY liked. I never had more doors slammed in my face. (fights wit the EX excluded :smileywink: )

Now Its the norm... Short sighted boneheads   :smileyvery-happy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

philoso4 wrote:

"COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies."

What?