Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos

Bookmarks?

Is anyone else having trouble setting bookmarks?

I tap the center of the screen and then the "Context" button. I select the "bookmark" tab. I'm supposed to tap the upper right corner. When I do, no bookmark is set and the screen clears and returns me to reading. I can try this 10-15 times and then finally, a mark is set.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Eric

Correspondent
julianka
0 Kudos

Re: Bookmarks?

Make sure the blue ribbon goes dark and slides down; that indicates that the bookmark has been set.  Because it's so high on the screen I think it can be a bit difficult to tap on it directly; I have this trouble too. 

Wordsmith
melouria
0 Kudos

You may have already figured out how to solve this issue by now, but, if not.....I also had lots of trouble with bookmarks initially.  You should be able to, while on the page you want to bookmark, tap the upper right of the screen to "bookmark" the page.  If this does not work, you can tap the center of the screen...and then you will see a light gray bookmark in the upper right screen.....tap that.  It will turn blue indicating that you have bookmarked the page.

Tapping the center of the page, then Contents, then Highlights (as you described in your post) will only bring up the bookmarks which you have already established.  It does not bookmark the page.

Hope this helps!!

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

I also had a difficult time, but then I learned that if I barely tap the upper right hand corner of the page, almost touching the frame, the dark blue ribbon (the bookmark) will appear.

Remember to retap it to disappear when you want to start reading again.

Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos

Neither method works 100% of the time. However, I now can set bookmarks about 50% of the time rather than 5% of the time as I was doing it.

I suspect that part of the problem is that a screen full of text is really just a part of a page and that once a bookmark is set on a page, no further attempts will be honored for a component of that page.

The curious thing is that I was even getting a 5% response from apparently the wrong method, Don't know if that's good or bad.

Thanks to all.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Ah the touch screen experience. :smileywink: It took me a month+ to get consistent. Bookmarks, bringing up menus n popups etc etc. One thing I find is a reboot every other day cuts down on the frustration. Keeping the screen clean helps as well. Give it some time and patience. Soon enough you will get it. :smileyhappy:
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Read the manual, buy the "Nookcolor survival guide" and/ or search nookcolor tips. Knowing how it works can cut down on the frustration. I've had my NC since thanksgiving and I still come across cool tips n tricks. :smileyhappy:
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Correspondent
emtgirlCV
0 Kudos

I agree, it's that that it's sensitive, but it does work :smileywink: