Contributor
qltngigi
0 Kudos

Buying a NC

I just received gift certificates to BN and I was wondering if it was better to go to a BN store (1 hr away) or to order a NC online... or does it make a difference?

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Re: Buying a NC

[ Edited ]

Go to the store. Make it an outing. buy it, go to the coffee shop. get a cup and a scone, plug it in, register and test it out. any questions you have  you can ask the on site Nook rep(hope they have a clue).

You can also Verify software version is 1.1.0, WIFI works, Keyboard works when plugged in.

I'm sure others here will add to this list of issues that have been posted here on this forum.

If something fails, exchange and repeat.

Good luck.  :smileyhappy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Contributor
qltngigi
0 Kudos

Thank you. I'm looking forward to getting my NC and all the info possible will be helpful when purchasing it.  :smileyhappy:   I will have to wait until the week after next to make the trip to the store. :smileysad:

phoneboy
0 Kudos

qltngigi wrote:

Thank you. I'm looking forward to getting my NC and all the info possible will be helpful when purchasing it.  :smileyhappy:   I will have to wait until the week after next to make the trip to the store. :smileysad:

Spend time surfing these forums. lots of great info. Dont let the negative posts sway your choice to much. The people on here represent  a very small number of NC owners. the problems are alot of times due to user error.or a small number of faulty devices.

Not a bad idea to download the User manual and read it. 

Myself and a couple others have posted links to great reviews on the NC.

The anticipation will be palpable.  Hell I'm getting exited for you  LOL

:smileyhappy:

phoneboy
0 Kudos

Links to reviews ---> 

http://www.stuff-review.com/2011-02/nook-color-review/

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/2781636-452/nook-color-book-kindle-device.html

Frequent Contributor
Darkhunter139
0 Kudos

Just buy it online, there is no reason to drive an hour just to get it in the store.  In your case it is probably much more convient to do it online.  Even in the case you would need to return it you would just be able to ship it back rather then drive an hr...

Frequent Contributor
KeWaDaHa

I agree with phoneboy.  Make a day of it and go to the store.  It your store is anything like mine, just going there is a great experience.  The staff are very helpful and the Starbuck's coffee shop is an added plus.    

Contributor
qltngigi
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for your input. I will continue to read the boards (I've been lurking for about a month :smileyhappy:) and make a few notes as to what I should be aware of while buying the NC.  I also think I'll just make a "shopping" day and go to the city, that'll be fun.  I really am getting excited! 

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gltngigi, before going to your local Barnes and Noble, this is just a suggestion, call the store to see if the NOOKcolor is in stock.  You mentioned that you will be going the week after next.  The weather should be warmer and you will have plenty of time to tell all you know about your fantastic shopping day next week.  Just think of all the envious eyes as you stand in the check-out line with your new NOOKcolor in your hands! :smileyhappy:

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Frequent Contributor
pyrexa
0 Kudos

I love hanging out at B&N.  Ours even have Starbucks built right in.  A nookcolor, Starbucks, B&N all at the same time!  Who needs to die to go to heaven?

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Mine was purchased at a store, but it was an xmas present, so I didn't see it for a month. When I did get it, it was absolutely fine, no problems. However, if I was was buying one for myself, I would probably buy one at a brick-and-mortar store, given a chance, even though I buy everything else online.  Just because of the slight chance that I might need to return it.  We've all seen the posts about some people getting two or three defective ones in a row (!).  And it's true that the number of people who complain (on any forum) tend to misrepresent the number of dissatisfied customers (happy people don't necessarily seek out these boards; they're too busy reading on their NC).   Still, if I had a B&N close by, I'd purchase one there.  Just in case. 

Oh, and I have a SquareTrade 3-year warranty on it, too.  First extended warranty I ever bought.

I anticipated having this thing with all the time.   :smileywink:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Correspondent
TaterFink
0 Kudos

My eyes play tricks on me sometimes ---

when I read this

"Just think of all the envious eyes as you stand in the check-out line with your new NOOKcolor in your hands! :smileyhappy:":smileyhappy:

the first time in a comment above.  I actually read:

"Just think of all the envious eyes as you stand in the NOOK-out line with your new NOOKcolor in your hands! :smileyhappy:"

I think I may be a bit obsessed with my NOOK Color! 

motorcyclists thought of the day - never put your earplugs in the same pocket with your jellybeans!
Contributor
qltngigi
0 Kudos

Calling ahead is a good idea, there is more then one BN in the city, I think maybe 3, so one of them should have it.  I just love Starbucks lattes... I also make them at home to sip while I read.  Can't wait to sit & sip with my new NC.  :smileyvery-happy:  Thank you all again.

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

Books A Million also sells the Nookcolor.

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

Given a choice, I would definately go to the physical BN store, as opposed to purchasing online.  Just make sure that your BN account is set up ahead of time at home, with a credit card attached to the payment options.  This is probably redundant, as I'm sure you've already done so, but...well, who knows.

When you're there, relax with a coffee, get it set up in the cafe, and spend some time at the Nook counter.  The sales reps can usually show you a few "tricks" that you wouldn't learn from the standard digital Nook manual.  Also, there is a DTB Nook Color manual that has a lot more in-depth visuals and tricks than the one you can download from BN's website.  Go figure...

Enjoy enjoy...I'm sure that your Nook will quickly become your favorite technology purchase!

Contributor
qltngigi
0 Kudos

Well, I just now...today...got a NC!!!  Long story short, my plans to get to my NC fell through because of a vehicle accident that my daughter, her husband and baby were in.  Baby is fine, not a scratch!  Daughter had to have back surgery, and her husband surgery on his knee.  Everyone is home and on the mend, it will take quite awhile, but spirits are good and we are all thankful.

Today was the first time that my husband and I were able to get away for "me" time.  I have to say my experience with B&N was wonderful! Everyone was very helpful and the latte and free parfait very enjoyable (while I sat and explored "MY "NC :smileyvery-happy:)  Thank you again for all your  advise.  I just know I'm going to be hooked on this big time. :smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

Welcome! Nice to see Ya! Glad to see that you will enjoy your NOOKcolor! Happy Reading!
Wordsmith
alliecatTX
0 Kudos

Glad you got your NC, and I'm even more glad that your family is doing OK after the accident!

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

@qltngigi

Gosh, I hope your family is on the mend and getting better day by day. How horrible.

But hey, you've got a nook color. You are really going to enjoy it. Two of the books that come with it are for kids and are the read-to-me kind. Those should come in handy when you need to entertain the little one. Just set the baby in your lap and turn the sound up on the nook.

Do be sure to stop by the NOOKbook Discussion form for the excellent lists of free and low-cost books. You will be loaded up in no time.

Also, go to the nook's web browser, type in:   bn.com/unbound    and bookmark it. That way you have a direct link to Free Fridays. It shows up in the shop screen ... but sometimes it doesn't. So use the bookmarked web site if it doesn't show up.

Happy reading

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!