Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
PicklesKS
0 Kudos

Re: CM7 with Overdrive

I've finally gotten cm7 running. I thought I repartitioned the sd card so that I can use the 6g left on my 8g card. I tried to download the Overdrive app and got 'not enough room' this also happened when I tried to download a book with the Alkido app. Is there a way for me to tell if I partitioned it correctly while it's in the Nook? Or, how can I tell if I sideload the sd card? I don't want to mess anything up. I have a dozen or so other apps that seem to be working fine.

Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe
0 Kudos

I use EASEUS Partition Magic to see the partitions. You can even resize them without redoing the whole card.

Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Contributor
kbBH
0 Kudos

PeterDe wrote:

I use EASEUS Partition Magic to see the partitions. You can even resize them without redoing the whole card.

My Wife's Nook Doesn't have enough Fat32 space left on it to install the latest Nightly build so she is stuck with #112. Would I be able to use EASEUS Partition Magic to repartition her SD card leaving more FAT32 space left so I can do the nightly updates on her Nook again?

I Flashed the Internal ROM on my Nook so I just use ROM Manager to Flash mine. It works great. Since hers is still setup to dual boot, the only way I know to update her ROM is to download the latest nightly to her SD card and boot into recovery.
Frequent Contributor
PicklesKS
0 Kudos

PeterDe wrote:

My 4th partition says it has 6.13g.  Isn't that the one that's supposed to be used by the apps?

Frequent Contributor
PicklesKS
0 Kudos

This is a continuation of my last post:  My 4th partition says 6.13g

I'm running CM7 on an sd card...

When I sideload things - like books I've purchased from places other than B&N, photos, music, docs, etc.  How do I 'get to' the 4th partition?

Nook App -- can I run my purchased B&N Nook apps with the Nook App in CM7 ???  :smileyhappy: 

I really like the Astroware Solitare game better than the android apps I've found.

Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe
0 Kudos

I believe that the Nook sideloads books to the first partition, so any sideloaded items will eat away all available boot memory. Im not sure if you can use the partition magic to enlarge that partition without wiping everything out. I would suggest not to sideload any book with a SD card boot set up. If you want to side load books, I would say you need to flash the emmc, or read sideloaded books from CM7 from the 4th partition only, not the nook. Of course I may be wrong. 

Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
New User
jzrf6c
0 Kudos

Re: CM7 = WOW!

Link is bad.................

Not Found

The requested URL "/jtbnet/Nook...ltiBoot-v6.zip" was not found on this
server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an
ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.17 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5
mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at
nook.handhelds.ru Port 80

Contributor
paulem
0 Kudos

can you tell me what i need and how do i load this cm7 i am hearing about

Distinguished Correspondent
JohnF76
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You'll need (if you are doing this yourself)

1) a Sandisk Class 4 micro SD card (either 8 or 16 gigs)

2) an SD card reader for your PC

Read this discussion http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1000957 and check out other sections of the XDA

board. If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, there is a website where they sell pre done cards http://www.n2acards.com/

Correspondent
Ace7
0 Kudos

paulem wrote:

can you tell me what i need and how do i load this cm7 i am hearing about

Come over to Facebook.com/CustomizingYourNookColor and RootMyNook.com ... we help people do it themselves who don't want to spend the $$ to have it rooted, but also offer a "root my Nook" program for those who don't feel comfortable doing it themselves!

Much better experience than booting from an SD card (like nook2android). It's incredible what a rooted Nook running CM7 can do!

Facebook.com/CustomizingYourNookColor
DaveAvl
0 Kudos

Ace7 wrote:
Much better experience than booting from an SD card (like nook2android).
What, exactly, makes it a "much better experience"?

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

OHH OHH Pick Me!

You can dual boot internally just like with a card, AND you can still use the card slot for expanded memory. You still maintain the stock interface (is that the right term?) too. Running cm7 internally is faster and smoother because you are not restrained by the max data transfer rate of the mSD card. Best to sample from an sd card before committing though. cm7 is not for everyone.

Correspondent
Ace7
0 Kudos

Re: OHH OHH Pick Me!

chuck4prez wrote:

You can dual boot internally just like with a card, AND you can still use the card slot for expanded memory. You still maintain the stock interface (is that the right term?) too. Running cm7 internally is faster and smoother because you are not restrained by the max data transfer rate of the mSD card. Best to sample from an sd card before committing though. cm7 is not for everyone.

What he said :smileyhappy:

I initially tried CM7 on an SD card at first, and after seeing how awesome it was, switched over to an internal root. I'd never go back to stock!

Facebook.com/CustomizingYourNookColor
Frequent Contributor
MariaR
0 Kudos

Is there a newer version of cm7 than 7.0.3? Also what are the nightly updates?
DaveAvl
0 Kudos

chuck4prez wrote:

Running cm7 internally is faster and smoother because you are not restrained by the max data transfer rate of the mSD card.

I see your point, but the internal memory has a max transfer rate too.  Has anyone done quantitative benchmarks of CM7 running from internal memory and various external cards?

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur

I would say internal has more consistent or predictable performance, but there was no noticeable difference in speed between my SD install when it was stable and my subsequent internal install, and I've never seen meaningful benchmarks comparing the two--it's hard to get an apples and apples comparison, given the different layers of intermediary hardware one must go through to run a benchmark on either.  

DaveAvl
0 Kudos

taosaur wrote:

Laureled for your response.  Thanks! :smileyhappy:

Reader 4
jenbug302
0 Kudos

This might be a dumb question I am not very tech savvy but if I have a dual boot card will the new 1.3.0 update stop it from working
Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

jenbug302 wrote:
This might be a dumb question I am not very tech savvy but if I have a dual boot card will the new 1.3.0 update stop it from working

To be safe, I removed my dual-boot card before sideloading the 1.3 update. But after 1.3 is installed however you get it there, you can power down, reinsert your dual boot B&N internal CM7-from-SD micro SD card and it'll work as well as before. At least it does for my home-made dual boot CM7 card.

If you plan to wait for the wifi update to 1.3, it might be best to remove the dual boot card and stick with stock 1.2 until the download and installation is complete.

Reader 4
jenbug302
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy:

thanks !!!!!!