Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
talkgirl7
0 Kudos

Re: Mystery of the Problematic Portable Power Source

i think the prices are reasonable im haveing fun playing angry birds lol i spend about 40 dollars every two weeks on books and i have some exctra money i can spend so i got a couple of apps and im haveing fun playing lol

Contributor
GrampsMC

Re: COMPLAINT LINE...step this way...

Complain are you people nuts you bought the NC in the last 5 mo. Because it was maybe one of the best e-readers out there and now you get a free up date that makes it better and you are crying . If you dont like it sell it a buy what ever you think is better then go cry on there boards.

New User
allegro454
0 Kudos

Re: COMPLAINT LINE STARTS HERE.....

Slows down my video. Now it's jittery! How do you rollback?

Inspired Contributor
Joe05

Seriously....? I bet some the the posters around here today were a real joy for thier parents at Christmas and Birthday's. No complaints from my neck of the woods. I bought it for an e reader and yesterdays update just added to my enjoyment of the device.

Distinguished Correspondent
Ohbjuan

Joe05 wrote:

Seriously....? I bet some the the posters around here today were a real joy for thier parents at Christmas and Birthday's. No complaints from my neck of the woods. I bought it for an e reader and yesterdays update just added to my enjoyment of the device.

What you said. And you know the number of apps will grow now.

Frequent Contributor
WildNole

DeanGibson wrote:

Any suggestions as to how to get rid of that stupid "Good Housekeeping Cookbook sample"???

By foisting it into my lilbrary, they have GUARANTEED I will never buy it.

I agree!! How dare they add a single book to your library! How will you find anything with that one single book being added!!  How dare they infringe on your rights as a individual in a free country by doing that!!  I think they should refund your money!!

Good grief, people.  If that is the worst thing that happns to you today, you are going to have a pretty damn good day!!

New User
ClareRae
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So... I tried downloading the new update. I plugged it into my computer and it kept disconnecting itself. Something went wrong and now it says I have no storage space and won't let me open any of my books.

I'm almost ready to throw it against the wall... Any tips?

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.--Mark Twain
Contributor
BuckskinBH
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Frequent Contributor
tirofiban
0 Kudos

Overall, the update is pretty good. Web embedded video works. Using the desktop browser mode, Digg finally looks like it should in my browser. 

Now to the Airing of Grievances:

1) Streaming video from live.twit.tv doesn't happen using Justin TV, Bit Gravity or UStream. All of these streaming sites use Flash. This is a big disappointment for me. To be fair, though the iPhone can't do this either. But the iPhone doesn't have flash. Nookcolor does.

2) The selection of Apps is.....welll has they feel of a bit of bias. I get the feeling B&N is cherry picking the apps selection. Most of the Apps are very book centric. I'm concerned the Nookcolor will never have a chat app or programs with notifications like the iPhone. I would really like to be able to read, but be online for chat via Facebook, Yahoo, and Google, and get

a notification when a friend starts chatting with me. Kind of think this will never happen.

Apps will make or break the Nookcolor. Amazon's working on a color tablet and has a respectable app store. I kind of think B&N is vetoing a bunch of apps we don't know about. Or they're being upfront to developers saying make these types of apps if you want to be approved. Because some standard apps just aren't there at day one.

Contributor
Radula

I wish to register a complaint.

This Norwegian Blue what I purchased not a half an hour ago from this very boutique is stone cold dead.

Fiction is the truth inside the lie.
Stephen King
Inspired Contributor
ToddK

If you hadn't nailed it to the perch, it would be pushin' up Daisies!
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
0 Kudos

WildNole wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

Any suggestions as to how to get rid of that stupid "Good Housekeeping Cookbook sample"???

By foisting it into my lilbrary, they have GUARANTEED I will never buy it.

I agree!! How dare they add a single book to your library! How will you find anything with that one single book being added!!  How dare they infringe on your rights as a individual in a free country by doing that!!  I think they should refund your money!!

Good grief, people.  If that is the worst thing that happns to you today, you are going to have a pretty damn good day!!

Oh, please!  It's just unwanted advertising that people can't get rid of (I removed it by booting Honeycomb 3.0 and editing the B&N update).

It's like buying a car in some midwestern states, with the dealer's name permanently painted on the rear of the car.  License plate brackets advertizing a dealer, you can get rid of.

If ads weren't so annoying to people, why do you think that users pay more money to get an app without advertising???

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Frequent Contributor
Feh5

No complaints from me.  I bought NC as a reader and love it. This update is just an added bonus. If I really wanted a tablet, I would buy one.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

ClareRae wrote:

I'm almost ready to throw it against the wall... Any tips?

Well, I'd be careful.  You could damage the wall.  :smileyhappy:  Especially if you throw it at the right angle, it could punch a hole and become embedded.  So try and throw it so it lands flat, rather than on an edge.

Those are the best tips I can come up with.

- Mark

Distinguished Correspondent
peppyauntie121

Re: Mystery of the Problematic Portable Power Source

Ahhh...have you heard about the latest app?

ANGRY NOOKIES...     A tiny NC is put into a slingshot and when you pull back on the band and let go, it crashes into different Barnes and Noble stores...  There's also some little classic Nooks that if you touch while flying, divide into 3 Nooks.  The winner gets the golden egg containing an IPod2!

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

tirofiban wrote:

Overall, the update is pretty good. Web embedded video works. Using the desktop browser mode, Digg finally looks like it should in my browser. 

Now to the Airing of Grievances:

2) The selection of Apps is.....welll has they feel of a bit of bias. I get the feeling B&N is cherry picking the apps selection. Most of the Apps are very book centric.

They said this from the very beginning.  However, with their new emphasis on being more tablet-capable, perhaps that will change.

I'm concerned the Nookcolor will never have a chat app or programs with notifications like the iPhone. I would really like to be able to read, but be online for chat via Facebook, Yahoo, and Google, and get a notification when a friend starts chatting with me. Kind of think this will never happen.

They have their Friends beta, for book reading sharing.  That could always evolve to be something more.  Or not.  I haven't seen them say they're opposed to the type of apps you're suggesting, so they could be open to submissions.

Apps will make or break the Nookcolor. Amazon's working on a color tablet and has a respectable app store. I kind of think B&N is vetoing a bunch of apps we don't know about. Or they're being upfront to developers saying make these types of apps if you want to be approved. Because some standard apps just aren't there at day one.

They're not telling devs what to write, but they're also not letting devs get started in the first place, unless they already have apps they're interested in.  So the filtering is going on at that level.

- Mark

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52

Honest to god, I spend more than $3 at the B&N cafe on a latte. Enough of the $2.99 for Angry Birds , who cares. If you have it on your ipod touch then play it there.

Contributor
Txdoglover

My nook color will not clean my house, do the laundry,  or cut the grass. I thought that there would be apps for all of this.  What am I doing wrong?  I am sending it back. :smileymad:

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Contributor
quilt_trail

Radula wrote:

I wish to register a complaint.

This Norwegian Blue what I purchased not a half an hour ago from this very boutique is stone cold dead.

He's not dead --- he's resting!!!

Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder
0 Kudos

First off let me just say...no complaints here. If I want free Apps I will re-root, or wait until the developers come up with an autonooter that allows apps to be added, which I feel will be very soon. I am sure thay are already working on it now.

Second, B&N is a business, they, like all others are in the business to make money. In order to make money, you have to keep your customers somewhat happy, B&N will most likely listen to what their customers want and at some point open up the App market to other Apps. Just the fact that Amazon will soon have an Android reader's tablet with an open market will be motivation enough for B&N to keep up. Unless I am way off base, B&N will have to, just to compete, have an App market that will allow for many more choices than we are seeing right now. If not the outside developers will, as stated earlier, take care of that for us.

I like my NC, always have, it is a fantastic reader, decent music player, and an able browser. We just seem to have become spoiled by the brisk pace of technological advances and have become accustomed to having what we want, when we want, and how we want it. Compared to my fist handheld device, the Palm Pilot, this NC is a technological wonder. Of course I thought my Palm was as well when I first got it.

"Keep me, Protect me, Share me, and I Will Live Forever"
From the Kodak Gallery, A powerful & Moving Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdWwqAI6x9A