Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
japerry
0 Kudos

Can't root my Nook

After reading all the discussions on rooting the Color Nook I decided to give it a try. I can't seem to get it to work. I've been following the instructions at http://goo.gl/kydkY without success. I've tried using Winimage 8.5 on a Windows 7 system as well as versions 8.5 and 7.0 on a Windows XP system. Although the image appears to be created correctly on the SD card the NC does not see the card as bootable. I'm running 1.1.0 on the NC. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Owner of a Nook Color and a Nook Simple Touch

My First Short Story
Inspired Correspondent
zenaxe
0 Kudos

Re: Can't root my Nook

[ Edited ]

Could be the uSD card... I think when you "burn" the uSD image it will take care of making the card appear bootable most of the time. I guess you could easily try reburning the card a couple of times or using a different card.

Are you using the 1.1.0 auto nooter? The uSD image is specific to the version of the nook OS you are running.

Also, makes sure you are really cold booting (i.e. powering all the way down not just suspending the device) before inserting the card.

New User
WakeWise
0 Kudos

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

When you created the image on the SD card, did you use a dedicated card reader?  Using the NC itself won't work.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Correspondent
japerry
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

zenaxe wrote:

Could be the uSD card... I think when you "burn" the uSD image it will take care of making the card appear bootable most of the time. I guess you could easily try reburning the card a couple of times or using a different card.

Are you using the 1.1.0 auto nooter? The uSD image is specific to the version of the nook OS you are running.

Also, makes sure you are really cold booting (i.e. powering all the way down not just suspending the device) before inserting the card.

I just tried on 2-gig card on the W7 system. I verified that it is the correct loader for 1.1.0. Did a complete power-down then power-up. Same results.

My First Short Story
Inspired Correspondent
japerry
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

riffrafff wrote:

When you created the image on the SD card, did you use a dedicated card reader?  Using the NC itself won't work.

I'm using the dedicated card reader built into the W7 laptop and the dedicate card reader on the XP desktop.

My First Short Story
Inspired Correspondent
japerry
0 Kudos

WakeWise wrote:

I found this to be the easiest way.

http://www.youtube.com/user/huskermania#p/a/87190C927F09F6EE/1/MUoHALWvPts

After watching the video the only difference I can see is that I'm already running 1.1.0 on the NC. Everything else appears to be the same.

My First Short Story
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

japerry wrote:

riffrafff wrote:

I'm using the dedicated card reader built into the W7 laptop and the dedicate card reader on the XP desktop.

Card might be bad.  Or, the nooter file could be corrupt.  You might check your md5sum (checksum) against a known good copy. 

ETA:

The xda site says this is the proper checksum:   FB74865663B8D797A486A85022FAD9B2

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

2 gig card is probably not enough... many posts say even 4gig is suspect due to partition size.. I used 8g with fast easy results and have room to download a few tunes and pix for testing.

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Frequent Contributor
justsayyes
0 Kudos

I used a 4GB Class 4 card with no issues.  Running NC 1.1.0 and auto-nooter 3.0.0 and it worked fine.  I did use an external card reader to set up the card.  Running Win XP and used WinImage to create the bootable card.  I think you'd want to go with Class 6 if you're running Gingerbread or Froyo off the card, as opposed to rooting.

CaptainGuy wrote:

2 gig card is probably not enough... many posts say even 4gig is suspect due to partition size.. I used 8g with fast easy results and have room to download a few tunes and pix for testing.

Inspired Correspondent
japerry
0 Kudos

It works! Please be sure to download Win32Image and NOT WinImage. It works perfectly with the correct image burner!

My First Short Story
Distinguished Correspondent
Sardonic
0 Kudos

Yep. That happened to me also. However, I was using win32 on 64 bit Windows 7 O/S. Fortunately there's a lot talented and smart people on this forum!!!
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Sardonic wrote:
Yep. That happened to me also. However, I was using win32 on 64 bit Windows 7 O/S. Fortunately there's a lot talented and smart people on this forum!!!

It works fine on an x64 Ultimate 7 system.  

---------
Don
Frequent Contributor
tommytowery
0 Kudos

Also be sure to unzip the Android (2.2 or 3.0) image if it is zipped - Otherwise it looks like it works and writes the card, but it will not boot.

New User
LarryDee
0 Kudos

I'm preparing to root my CN and was doing background research. I have a 64x Win7 Os which image should I use?

Knowledge is power
New User
LarryWH
0 Kudos

A 1 gig MicroSD works fine.

I root with on last evening.

Reader 2
thef00l2
0 Kudos

the image size is only about 40MB -- I used an old 256MB microSD card for Autonootering that works perfectly...