Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
WinterRoseBlms
0 Kudos

Can you rename books....

Is it possible to rename books in the "My Files" Section? Most of the books there have a series of numbers and letters instead of a book title and it's driving me nuts LOL. I don't want to change anything if it will mess things up.

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

Re: Can you rename books....

If they are PDF files and you have a fully paid for product called Adobe Acrobat, you can open the PDF with Acrobat on your Mac or PC, use the key combination "Ctrl" + "D" to open the properties window. Select the "General" tab change the text in the "Title" field, click 'OK" and save the modified PDF.

Inspired Contributor
WinterRoseBlms
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Some are pdf files I downloaded from free a free book site called Project Gutenberg and the rest were downloaded through Adobe Digital Editions. Also, I just have the free Adobe products.

Inspired Contributor
WinterRoseBlms
0 Kudos

bump

Inspired Correspondent
The_Imperfect

I went ahead and downloaded an epub from Gutenberg (d'oh, another thing I have to redo after the Wednesday Reset of Doom).  I plugged my nook into my computer, renamed the file, and then moved the file into my books folder.  It showed up in my Library as one of those gray books with white title text.  I went back to My Files, and it didn't want to open.  I went into my Library and it opened fine from there.  When I went back to My Files after and tried it from there again instead, it worked fine.

So, yes, you can rename them and even move them into your Library by putting them into the Books folder.

Inspired Contributor
WinterRoseBlms
0 Kudos

Awesome, thank you so much! I'd give you some cookies but unfortunately I ate them on the way back to my computer a little bit ago. Long story, but believe me, they were very conciliatory cookies.C:smileytongue: You do get a Laurel though :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
justsayyes
0 Kudos

You might try using Calibre to convert the eBook you are intersted in renaming to the same file type.  I've done this a few times but only to add cover art and change the meta-data (ISBN #'s that were wrong, incorrect publishing dates, etc.), which does work.  Once converted, just sync the converted book with the new meta-data...

I'll give it a shot tonight to see if it works with one of the free eBooks I've got laying about my NC and report back.

Inspired Contributor
WinterRoseBlms
0 Kudos

I'm not sure I would know how to do that. I don't even know what meta data is LOL. I'm am only moderatly tech savvy though I do like to learn new things. Let me know how it goes when you try it.

New User
nanobookwrm
0 Kudos

meep:smileyhappy: This made my day. I was just lurking through and happened to find the answer to a question I had. I already knew how to change file names, it was the cover bit that was driving me nuts.

So I'm going to tack something on here and see if anyone has an answer.

Two of my apps (goodreads and f-tasks) have lost their thumbnail image. I have no clue how, and not the slightest idea on how to get them back. Anyone have a suggestion?

bookwrm

Correspondent
susgod

WinterRoseBlms wrote: '"I'm not sure I would know how to do that. I don't even know what meta data is LOL. I'm am only moderatly tech savvy though I do like to learn new things."

Some of the Gutenberg pdfs have the creator’s source address in the heading so the title of the book when placed on an NC bookshelf becomes:

file:///F|/rah/author%20 author / author,%20 author %20-%20Title's%20Title.pdf. This also appears in the head and foot of every page, which interferes with the reading experience. Calibre fixes this very easily. You can watch a video to see how it works:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Calibre is very user friendly. Download Calibre to your computer and select the pdf file to fix. After you edit the book information (title, author, publisher, cover, etc. called metadata) press OK.

Open the pdf file, highlight and copy the text you want to get rid of, ex:

file:///F|/rah/author%20 author / author,%20 author %20-%20Title's%20Title.pdf

Go back to Calibre convert screen, select the book title and select CONVERT BOOKS, select SEARCH AND REPLACE. Paste the text you want to get rid of in the SEARCH REGULAR EXPRESSION, dialogue box. I always click in the replacement text box to show I am replacing it with nothing. Press OK. Calibre will remove the annoying string! It takes no more than 15 minutes from start to finish to fix a book and SEND it to the NC via the USB cord attached to your NC.

If you make a mistake, you can just delete it and start again. No worries!

You can also add or replace a cover when you edit the metadata. Now my former grey cover pdf books are epub with beautiful covers and correct titles. Calibre turns an annoying reading experience into an enjoyable one.

Inspired Contributor
WinterRoseBlms
0 Kudos

thank you so much for the explanation I really appreciate it:smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
justsayyes
0 Kudos

Yes, thanks.  Sorry I didn't get to testing this for you...Time has a way of running away in the evenings.

Distinguished Correspondent
DeeV
0 Kudos

This is pretty cool!! i was wondering the same thing and will have to give this a try. Don't know why they don't put names in some of the book titles..makes life hard when trying to locate a book and you see nothing but numbers.

Reader 4
Mithran
0 Kudos

My own difficulties are a little more complicated, but I'm hoping I'll still be able to solve my problems, here:

1. In my library's alphabetical sorting, the writer for "The Iliad" is listed as Penguin Group. I'd like to update this to correctly read "Homer."

2. For "Politics: A Treatise on Government," written by Aristotle, instead of the author's name Aristotle, it's sorted under the translator's name, Ellis, A. M. William.

These were both Barnes and Noble purchases. How do I correct this misinformation?

"The victorious strategist only seeks battle when the victory has been won whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights then afterwards looks for victory." - Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"