Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

Child Friendly/Resistant Cover for NC

[ Edited ]

I am looking for a childproof cover for a NC.  Any recomendations? I know you first reaction is probably, "I would never give my NC to a child."  I would normally agree, so please no flames.

I have become very excited about the use of the NC as a speech device for an autistic, speech impaired child using the TapToTalk app. (There is another thread on that app from yesterday.  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/NC-App-for-for-non-verbal-child...).

I have a granddaughter with autism and when I showed my daughter this new app on the NC and what it could do she was extremely excited.  They asked their speech therapist about it and although she hadn't heard about it yet, she ran to a B&N and tried it out and was astonished at how well it functions.  Similar devices cost 3x the cost of a NC and are of great value for some autistic children.  I think we are likely to see a lot of buzz about the NC providing this function.

So we are looking at letting a preschool autistic girl try this on a NC.  Obviously the chances of her being careless with it are almost certain.  We will buy the extended warranty and even if it is a failed experiment, it is, for us, well worth the cost for even one day of increased communication with her.

So, do you have a recomendation on the most child friendly cover out there?  Something that is easily accessable, but which would offer the maximum protection. 

Contributor
Michelle8012
0 Kudos

Re: Child Friendly/Resistant Cover for NC

I saw a waterproof cover for Nook Colors on Amazon.com. If I did it right here is the link to it.

http://www.amazon.com/TrendyDigital-WaterGuard-Waterproof-Padding-NOOKcolor/dp/B004C9XIJA/ref=sr_1_1...

Would something like this work for you??

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

See if a company called Otterbox has this available yet.

Call them if it's not available.  Explain what you want, and that you want them to give you a prototype if that's all they have. 

Otterbox cases rule

And one is available:

http://www.otterbox.com/Nook-Color-Commuter-Series-Case/BNN4-NOOKC-20-E4OTR_A,default,pd.html

Call them and see if they'll donate one to the cause of seeing how indestructible their case is.  :smileyhappy:

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
lilsmartie
0 Kudos

Was going to say Otterbox too!

Kate

Contributor
Neeta-san
0 Kudos

I have an Otterbox case for my iPhone. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped it. Still not a scratch or dent on my phone, and still fully functional. The only downside would be bulk, but that's a small price to pay in my opinion.

Correspondent
Prewittboy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I purchased the Otterbox for my NC last month. i have one for  my droid phone and for my ipod touch. they are very robust. i took my touch and chucked it across the shop and the case didnt split and the ipod touch still worked like new. Th only problem with in case, is it does not protect the screen very well. it does come withn a screen protecter film though, to prevent scratches. And right now they are giving 10% off the price for all ereader covers.

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

Wow, looks like it is unanimous for Otterbox.  How often has that happened here?  :smileyhappy:

Thank you everyone for the very helpful answers.  I had never heard of Otterbox before and you have made the decision easy.