Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
IndygirlGH
0 Kudos

Civil War ebook

Has anyone purchased the Civil War by Kenneth Burns  They have two ebooks one is just text and the other is for the Color Nook with video and maps and ect  I was wondering about the one for the Color Nook if it is worth the extra money or should I just stay with  the text version?

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Re: Civil War ebook

I purchased the deluxe version. I can't remember what each book cost, but I didn't want a text only version. I like this version. It's not perfect and if you jump to video pages they are somewhat slow to load, but the animated maps are interesting, Shelby Foote's narrations are as well, there are a lot of illustrations and such. I can't say what the other version is like so can't compare them.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

I bought Journal of a Civil War Nurse by Georgiann Baldino. It was worth what I paid: $0.00. After quickly reading this essay (only 15 pages) I archived it. 

deemure

susgod wrote:

I bought Journal of a Civil War Nurse by Georgiann Baldino. It was worth what I paid: $0.00. After quickly reading this essay (only 15 pages) I archived it. 

I am sure that was good, but isn't what the OP asked about. There are 2 versions of books based on the Ken Burns PBS special. One is a text only version and one features enhanced content. There are many books including a 3 volume set written by Shelby Foote on the war. Many. But to my knowledge this is the first enhanced one.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
Loyd
0 Kudos

I got the enhanced version. It only cost $2 more than text only and the enhancements are great. I agree that the maps are the best enhancement I've seen in an eBook. It's the first time I was really able to follow the deployments at Gettysburg.

The book itself is very good too. I love the approach they took to history, taken from the point of view of ordinary Americans as well as the leaders. I'm sure if you're interested in the Civil War at all either edition is worth reading but if you have a Nook Color it's worth the extra $2.

Contributor
IndygirlGH
0 Kudos

Thanks so much  I will get the one for the color nook as it sounds worth the extra $2  I love anything about the civil war and this is one time I don't mind spending the money! Gotta love that color nook  

Frequent Contributor
Wayfarer58
0 Kudos

My question is this: does the enhanced version contain the entire text of the text only version. It says "enhanced" indicating more 'stuff', but I'd like to be sure before making a purchase.

Thank you!

D

“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.” - Groucho Marx
deemure
0 Kudos

Wayfarer58 wrote:

My question is this: does the enhanced version contain the entire text of the text only version. It says "enhanced" indicating more 'stuff', but I'd like to be sure before making a purchase.

Thank you!

D

I can't help with that. I didn't want the text only version myself, so I never bought it. I loved the series and just felt it needed the enhancements to do it justice. I think you'd have to see if the publisher would give that info or maybe try googling for Ken Burns website to see if you can find more info. Personally, I doubt it contains all, but maybe someone else bought both.