Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Closing apps

Do apps run in the background?  If so, it there anyway to close them formally when one is done with them?  I've only got FliqNotes, but I've noticed my battery life is taking a hit since the update, and I was wondering if that is the reason.

Inspired Correspondent
Knowledge70
0 Kudos

Re: Closing apps

No. Other than angry birds where the 'n' home button acts as a 'back' and you are offered a chance to exit, the apps run until the nook is powered off.

Those rooted users will use apps that can kill active apps, and B&N needs to think about getting it in thier store (it's free BTW).  Running too many apps, especially those that run periodic updates over the wi-fi like the Pulse app) will make the battery drain that little bit quicker.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Thanks! That's good to know.  I'll have to be sure to power off and well as to turn off WiFi before we go on camping trips.  I need to read in the evening, and it'll have to last two days without charging. 

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

Apps don't run in the background per se. Once open they stay open. Android is much better at managing system resources than Windows. The consensus in the dev community about app killers is that they are best avoided unless an app is acting really wonky. Supposedly you can cause more problems by killing an app than by letting it run. Let Android handle Android is what is usually said.

Just remember that any widget will drain your battery, especially one which requires WiFi to work.