Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Peri-O
0 Kudos

Closing my Browser

Does it bother anyone else that there is no way to close your browser? It drives me nuts. I hate leaving it "open". I really miss having an "X" on the screen to close it!   Has anyone found a workaround?

Thanks.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

Re: Closing my Browser

Tap the menu icon next to the star favorites icon, tap Windows and then tap the "x" in the corner.  While another window will open at your homepage, it will close your current window.

Or..

If you use the backswipe trick (swipe from right to left on the black bar, starting to the left of the menu button and going just past the little book icon) it will back you out of the program.  You may have to do it a few times, backing through the pages you've visited.

If you close the window using the above method first and then immediately back swipe (don't bother waiting for your homepage to load) you will be returned to the home screen without needing to go through all your previous web pages.

Backing out of a program tells Android that you are finished with it, while just jumping to the homescreen tells Android you are leaving it for a little while but will be going back to it.

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

To peri-O: yes, it bothers me, don't know what to do either. Make sure you always turn off wi-fi. Helps ti save battery life too. Hope somebody has an answer. Good Question! Thanks!
New User
Peri-O
0 Kudos

Excellent! (and fast response too)!  Thanks!

New User
Peri-O
0 Kudos

yes, the response was great!

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

I'm not sure you can end a task in that way. When I try to do what you say on my rooted NC, and then look at my list of active tasks, it says the Browser is still running.

Nallia
0 Kudos

withfeeling wrote:

I'm not sure you can end a task in that way. When I try to do what you say on my rooted NC, and then look at my list of active tasks, it says the Browser is still running.

Hmm.  It should work.  Thanks for checking.  :smileyhappy:  Oh, well.  At least it closes out the windows that were being used and lets the browser open again from the home page.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Android only really kills apps when it needs the space. Otherwise it just leaves them in memory. Lots of folks on various Android phones and tablets have complained about things getting sluggish after a while as apps accumulate. This has especially been a problem with Android 2.1. I have read that Android 2.2 is "better".

On my rooted NC, I run a "task killer" that periodically kills inactive tasks. That is not possible on an unrooted NC. Unfortunately, the only way to really kill tasks on an NC is to do a power down.

Given the kinds of apps that are on the NC, the only problem I think is likely is with video. I haven't yet seen complaints, but I am waiting to see if anyone talks about problems with video after the NC has been used for a long period without a reboot.

Nallia
0 Kudos

withfeeling wrote:

Android only really kills apps when it needs the space. Otherwise it just leaves them in memory. Lots of folks on various Android phones and tablets have complained about things getting sluggish after a while as apps accumulate. This has especially been a problem with Android 2.1. I have read that Android 2.2 is "better".

On my rooted NC, I run a "task killer" that periodically kills inactive tasks. That is not possible on an unrooted NC. Unfortunately, the only way to really kill tasks on an NC is to do a power down.

Given the kinds of apps that are on the NC, the only problem I think is likely is with video. I haven't yet seen complaints, but I am waiting to see if anyone talks about problems with video after the NC has been used for a long period without a reboot.

Task killers often cause more trouble than they're worth, because too many people set them to auto-kill, causing Android to constantly restart some apps.  This can kill a battery.  If an app is causing slowdowns or other issues then there is a problem with the app itself.  If an app caused my phones to slow down I uninstalled it and found one that ran properly.  Task killers don't work with Froyo anyway, so it will be a moot point once B&N upgrades the OS.

I've never needed one for my current phone and don't have one installed.  I didn't need one for my previous Android phone either.  Most of the apps kept in the list on my phone aren't actually running unless I press the home key instead of the back button.  There may a placeholder there to open the apps quickly if I need them again, but that doesn't mean they're open or using resources.  If I back out of my browser it reloads the homepage if I open it again.  If I just press the home button on my phone and then return to my browser it opens the page I was last on.  It's the same thing with video games and other apps.

It's the way Android is supposed to run, and it should apply to the NOOKcolor as well.  Of course, whether it does depends on the apps the NC is running and how they were created to behave.  But the browser is a stock Android browser, as far as I can tell, so I figured it would behave the same way on the NC.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

As you probably are aware, this has been an ongoing controversy in the Android community. Some swear by task-killers, some swear at them. I have one. It is set to auto-kill (with some task exceptions). I have had no problem with battery life.

Nallia
0 Kudos

Yes, I am aware. I'm in the camp of those who thinks they are unecessary (obviously). I'm glad it's working foryou and you aren't having any issues. I knew you had one from previous posts and couldn't resist the urge to poke you a bit. :smileywink:

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Consider me poked.:smileyvery-happy:

Seriously though, as you know, the number of apps that accumulate in memory is surprisingly large, basically every app you have ever run since the last power off. If all of them are well behaved then that doesn't cause problems. However, one bad citizen can suck cycles.

I suspect that is NOT a problem on the NC since the number of apps is so tightly controlled. I assume we will have 2.2 before the B&N App Store opens, so the future is bright.

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

Web sites may continue to "run"... some sites do background updates, refreshes, etc.  These can cause power drain as the wi-fi transceiver is working.  

I suspect that even in the background this is true.

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Good point. Maybe folks should navigate to a simpler, less feature-rich website, like www.google.com, before they leave their browser. I wonder if that would help.

Nallia
0 Kudos

I have Google set as my home page on every browser I use, so this is never an issue for me.  I started closing the window before going back to my home screen because I prefer the browser to open at my homepage every time I open it.  I don't like to leave pages with a lot of graphics active in the background.

As far as I can see, there is no option to just go Home when you're in the browser either.

I really miss Dolphin HD.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

You could, of course, just bookmark your home page and go back that way.

Nallia
0 Kudos

withfeeling wrote:

You could, of course, just bookmark your home page and go back that way.

LOL  I did that as well.

I've been using tabbed browsing for so long now that it's easier for me to have multiple browser windows open and just switch between them, so I close them all out before leaving the browser.

New User
Peri-O
0 Kudos

I have done that as well. I just wanted a way to "close" my browser and the first suggestion here seems to work, so thanks!

Peri-O

Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

The response of the back button is defined in the application code (i.e.; for good or bad, implementation is ultimately up to the developer of the app). This is why the back button behaves differently for the stock browser vs Pandora vs say, the Dolphin browser. Having said that, the default action for back is to always "destroy" the current Activity (i.e.; screen/GUI), while home just suspends the current Activity, like Nallia pointed out. But again, the behavior of back can be overwritten (home cannot, at least not without user knowledge/consent).

Also, an Activity does NOT equal a process/app/"task", which is where I think some of the confusion comes from. Activities (GUI stuff), Services (non-GUI stuff), etc. are just components of an app's process. Think of a process/"task" as a box, and Activities, etc. as stuff to fill the box. Getting rid of an Activity (using the back button) doesn't destroy its process, even if the result is an "empty" process. Like withfeeling pointed out, Android keeps even empty processses in RAM as cache for as long as possible (i.e.; empty processes still contain important info about its app that can be used to load it faster in the future). FYI, empty processes are the first to get axed by the OS though when RAM gets low.

Anyway, it's not available on the stock Nook Color, but a prime visual example of the difference between an Activity vs process and between back vs home can be shown using the stock gmail/email app. After you launch the app, and you're on your mail list screen, scroll down a bit and then press the home button. When you go back into the app, you'll be returned to more or less where you left off.

Now try exiting the app using the back button. Again, the process for the gmail app will still be "alive" (you'll have to either take my word for it, or use a 3rd party app manager to see), but when you reopen the gmail app, you'll be back at the top of your mail list. What's happened is that the previous Activity/view was destroyed when you pressed the back button, so a new Activity had to be created, which has no clue about your previous scroll position.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

That's an excellent description. Thanks for taking the time to write it.