Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
vitaminbillwebb
0 Kudos

Cloud Reader...

Could someone with some real web development experience tell me whether or not I should ever expect a version of the Kindle Cloud Reader to be useable on my NC? I know that B&N probably don't want this, but I imagine that Amazon probably does. Does anything prevent Amazon for developing a site for the Nook Browser? For that matter, is the Nook Browser proprietary or is it just the standard Android browser with a new skin? If that's the case, what is the likelihood that Amazon would develop a site for the Android browser?

VBW

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Re: Cloud Reader...

Only in a rooted device.
Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

I am an internet developer, though that really has nothing to do with your questions.

I'm not quite sure exactly what your question is. By "Cloud Reader" do you mean the Kindle app for reading books? Or are you talking about the "Silk" browser that Amazon now has? The answer is stil the same, B&N will never allow them on an unrooted Nook, they have no interest in doing so because Amazon is their direct competition and they want you to buy content from B&N not Amazon.

Your other comment about Amazon "building a site for the Nook Browser" doesn't make much sense. No one builds websites specifically for any particular device. They are designed either for computers or mobile devices, such as phones or tablets. The websites aren't specific enough for each individual type of mobile device. In other words, a website on an iPad is the exactly the same website as a website on a Andoird smartphone or a Nook Color or a Kindle Fire. Amazon already has a mobile version of their website which works on all mobile devices including the Nook Color. 

I don't believe there is anything "proprietary" about the browser on the Nook Color. Websites look just the same as on any other mobile device as far as I can tell. I don't know how the Kindle Fire's Silk browser looks though. I don't think it actually changes how the webpage looks, just how fast it loads. 

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
vitaminbillwebb
0 Kudos

The Cloud Reader: https://read.amazon.com/

Not the Kindle App. The Cloud Reader. It's Amazon's brilliant way of getting around Apple? Everyone was talking about it a few months ago when it launched? It lets you open books purchased from within the Kindle Store in Firefox, Safari, Safari for iOS devices, and Chrome. 

And when I open the above site in my Nook's Browser, it does, in fact, look different. There's a button saying that the NC browser isn't supported by the Cloud Reader. 

So it's an actual question. What prevents me from using this on my NC, and who can fix it? Is it that the browser doesn't support some web standard? HTML5? That is, it this something Barnes and Noble would need to fix? Because that's unlikely. Or is it a matter of Amazon reversing the polarity on the website or something? I mean, it doesn't support IE or the Android browser either. So is it just something they need to alter to make it compatible?

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

Pardon me, I see now what you are referring to. From what I can tell looking under the hood at the source code (if you right click fast before a page loads all the way on your computer), the Cloud Reader is technically just the Kindle App wrapped in HTML5 made to run within a browser window but it specifically does not run on IE or Android for reasons unknown (I did some Googling to see if anyone knew why. Nada.)

"The main intent of Kindle Cloud Reader is to get around app stores, so that Amazon can make e-books available on iPads, iPhones, and Android devices (though not yet available for iPhones and Android) without having to pay Apple or Google — both competitors in the e-book space — a percentage of its revenues." 

(The line in bold above is mine.) I don't know how long they will be allowed to get away with this. Amazon wants to make this available for IE and Android soon - but I am pretty sure B&N wouldn't want the Nook owners to be able to use it. However, I have not seen them block specific websites before. At first I thought maybe there was an HTML5 incompatibility issue too, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Android seems to support HTML5 fine. So, I tend to think it is more a legal fight somehow from the Android side, rather than anything that Amazon is holding back on. I can also see Apple fighting this too, since the only point of this app is to cut them out of their 30%. So, I wouldn't get your hopes up about using this anytime soon on your NC.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
vitaminbillwebb
0 Kudos

Thanks!