Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
philoso4
0 Kudos

Community Manager lack of response

It truly is a shame that B&N has put up this sham idea a a Community Manager. How many people have actually received serious answers about serious concerns? It is almost impossible to find a topic that has been addressed.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

Re: Community Manager lack of response

Just my 2 cents: I have seen Sam respond to many threads, but need to point out that she is part of the Marketing team, not Tech Support. I have seen her request private messages from various users with specific problems, but again point out that Sam is not the head of Customer Service either. I have many questions about where B&N is taking the nookcolor development, but realize that Sam most likely does not have the authority to just give us company info that has not been made public. She has done some thread moderating, whether appreciated or not. I just do not think she possesses the level of power within the company to give some forum members what they want. Keep in mind that this is a community discussion board not a pipeline to the powers that be within B&N. We are here to help each other when we can and discuss topics we find pertinent. Re-read Sam's introduction in the nookcolor general discussion forum to see what her stated goals were...she wanted to be a liaison between us and the company, but that doesn't translate into the company giving her immediate feedback to pass along to us.
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

philo, much as I hate to say it, I think Sam's job as community manager is primarily to manage us.  And we did ask to be managed, or at least some of us did. 

Her role in the company is limited in scope, just as my role at the office is limited in scope.  And what a lot of us are asking for are pretty big things

- admission that the cables are a disaster

- admission that the landscape reading mode was not delivered as promised

- admission that the cookbook is a problem

- concrete plan for addressing the 1.2 wireless issues

Any one of those would require that BN the company publically commit to making a change. 

BN's allergic to that;  and the scope of Sam's influence on that is minimal.  I believe her when she says she's sending memos internally to let the company know what users are saying.  

Unfortunately the delete keys at BN work just as well for deleting email as the delete key right here works, and I don't get the feeling that a lot of meetings are going on right now around 'how to improve the nook color situation' - which is, by and large, pretty good, albeit frustrating for the things they're leaving undone which seem to us to be so trivial to do.

It's probably well past time we started finding the postal addresses of the folks high up the food chain and writing them old-fashioned physical letters. 

Perhaps we could come to consensus on one topic per week and ask forum members to write real, stamp-on-the-envelope letters on that one topic. 

I would vote for either of these as the inaugural topic:

- USB charging cable:  reliabliity, safety, plans for cradle? 

or

- Landscape Mode:  available in Nook for Android app;  why not in Reader?  Why not, failing that, put the reader in the App area? 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

And don't forget about those stupid wallpapers that were included that cannot, will not, be deleted no matter what and show up all the time in my pictures gallery...ugh.. LOL

deemure
0 Kudos

I think the original post assumes a lot of things. Sam has often responded whether publicly or via pm to those with questions or issues. Most company forums have no corporate presence at all. This has been a trend. And consider this is not her primary job. She is a liason. She can give no advice, offer no solutions, share no proposed fixes that BN does not allow. As roustabout so intelligently suggested, if there's an issue you feel is most important and ignored send physical correspondence to BN directly.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine

Hi all- I *urge* you to send me PMs with your thoughts about how I am performing in my role as community manager here.  If there are specific concerns that you have with my role, your device, your account, or anything of the sort, please do not hesitate to reach out.  If I don't respond immediately- do not fret!- it's usually because I'm regrouping with the appropriate people on my end to get you the accurate information or resolution you seek.

Thanks--

Sam 

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

normysmom wrote:
I have many questions about where B&N is taking the nookcolor development, but realize that Sam most likely does not have the authority to just give us company info that has not been made public.

No one at B&N, who has access to such information, is authorized to pass it on to anyone.  Even more so to make public statements in a forum.  This is Corporate policy.  If one of them did, it would be immediately squelched, and the guilty party would receive a "reminder".

I know this both because I've seen it happen first-hand, and because I was told directly by a VP in private communications.  Since it's not confidential information, I pass it on so that those with unrealistic expectations will have greater awareness of the reality of dealing with B&N.  Which really isn't all that different from dealing with many other large companies.

- Mark

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

normysmom wrote:
Keep in mind that this is a community discussion board not a pipeline to the powers that be within B&N.

Actually, it can be.  And I have reason to suspect that it has been.  However, what needs to be kept in mind is that it's a one-way pipeline.  Sam can feed our input up the chain, to whichever teams are most appropriate.  All the way up to Jamie or Bill, if that were deemed necessary.

Just don't expect a response.  :smileyhappy:

- Mark

Wordsmith
melouria
0 Kudos

I have had communication with Sam via PM regarding the Nook Friends app which continues to malfunction, at least for me.  She always responds.  With a solution, no, but with a promise to pass along my issue.  I don't expect her to resolve each and every issue, but I do expect her to act as a liaison between the users and the powers that be.  I believe she is fulfilling that role.  Perhaps I am deluding myself that B&N cares about its users...I sincerely hope not.

deemure
0 Kudos

I believe that Sam and B&N do care for want of a better word. Sam does respond often in PMs and is kept busy by us. It is to her credit that she tends to remain upbeat even when some not so nice threads are started. We have a lot of suggestions and issues.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:
It is to her credit that she tends to remain upbeat even when some not so nice threads are started.

I agree completely.  There tend to be more complainers than complimenters.  Which makes for a difficult job.

- Mark

Contributor
gratitudo
0 Kudos

I hope the Community Manager responds to this request I posted in another thread. So far I am unimpressed with the Barnes and Noble customer support - both online, by chat, by phone. As far as I am concerned it feels like no one cares about the customer. I want to be proved wrong and I want to enjoy the Nook Color, but to this date I am frustrated and have no answers to my questions.

I have searched high and low to find a way to highlight articles in various magazines (such as Forbes, Fortune, etc.) and then copy the article into e-storage for future reference. I know the Kindle can do this. I bought a Color Nook thinking it can do this, but I am finding out that the technology and enginerring of the Color Nook is behind the Kindle. Can someone help to come up with solutions to this problem? Has anyone heard of Moon Reader (Android app)? Can this be used? Will it offer the solutions I am looking for? I have tried to contact Customer Service at Barnes and Noble with no succces. I merely get the run around and no one knows a solution or offers suggestions. This seems very basic, yet overlooked.