Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Jacquie66
0 Kudos

Considering a NOOK Color

I currently own a NOOK but am considering getting a NOOK Color.  What's really holding me back is that I have a problem reading from a computer screen for long periods of time (I end up with headaches and tired, aching eyes) and I'm wondering with the NOOK Color being backlit if I will have the same problems.

I appreciate any advice you are will to give.

Thanks

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Re: Considering a NOOK Color

Reading on my NOOKcolor it far less fatiguing to me than reading on my laptop.  I have no issues with it at all and I was worried that I would.  However, that doesn't mean you won't have issues.  The only real way to know is to play with one in the store.  If you do buy one, you will have 14 days to return it for a full refund if it does cause eye strain (30 if you get it from Best Buy, I think).

Correspondent
Red11
0 Kudos

I love mine.  I read mostly at night so the backlit screen is great for that.  I changed the colors to be black with white lettering and turn the brightness down.  I gave my original Nook to my Mom since she reads more during the day.  

Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka
0 Kudos

I love mine, and find the screen very easy on the eyes.  I keep the brightness down indoors, and raise it when outdoors.

When I bought mine from BN.com I had 14 days to get a full refund if I wanted. Hopefully they have the same policy.

Correspondent
scjohanson5
0 Kudos

I have no problem reading on my Nookcolor.  I turn the brightness down to the lowest level and changed the screen color to an off white.  To me it is much easier to read on than the original nook which I also have because you don't need bright light..

Wordsmith
melouria
0 Kudos

When you try it out in the store be sure to sample all the different reading styles/background options.  I think everyone has a favorite.  Mine is "night mode"....black background, white letters.  I use this one 24/7.  I think this is one of my favorite features of the NC.

New User
kalos_eidos
0 Kudos

I've had mine for a few weeks now, and I've been able read it without any trouble at all. It's definitely easier on my eyes than my computer screen. I set the backlight to the lowest setting and the background color sepia. As the others have said, try it out in the store with different settings to see if there is one that will work for you. 

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

melouria wrote:

When you try it out in the store be sure to sample all the different reading styles/background options.  I think everyone has a favorite.  Mine is "night mode"....black background, white letters.  I use this one 24/7.  I think this is one of my favorite features of the NC.

Me too!  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
justsayyes
0 Kudos

I'm on my computer all day and then I read on my NC at night under various lighting from living room light to darkness lying in bed.  The key differences that seem to impact fatigue and eye strain are:
Work -

• Overhead flourescent lighting is just ugly, add a halogen desk lamp
  • Don't stare at the screen non-stop.  Do eye exercises like looking at things across the hallway or get up and look around, or print stuff before reading
  • Refresh rate.  Make sure you have your monitor set to its native refresh rate.
  • If you're on a Windows machine, make sure you have Clear Type (?) on and set to your lighting preferences.
  • Tune your monitor for contrast and brightness
Now, for the NC, given you can't tune, you need to match the screen brightness with your ambient light level in combination with your page/font color (Night, Butter, etc.).  I've found that even after a full day on working on the computer, the NC does not strain my eyes provided I set the brightness/color for the given light condition.  In my house it means I change the settings for pretty much every room.
I've read for about 3 hours straight without any strain or fatigue.  I have never done so in an office using my (typically) very good large LCD monitors or my MacBook Pro's LCD.  I have not tried one of the new IPS-LCD monitors (but I've got to believe they're WAY better then my current Lenovo 24" LCD panel).
You may not have the same experience, but just get an NC at Best Buy and borrow a few library books to test your tolerance in a number of typical lighting conditions.  BTW, if you turn the brightness high on your NC when the ambient light is low, you WILL get a headache.  The NC's IPS-LCD panel is really quie bright so don't be afraid to turn it down and experiment with the color pre-sets of the NC.

Jacquie66 wrote:

I currently own a NOOK but am considering getting a NOOK Color.  What's really holding me back is that I have a problem reading from a computer screen for long periods of time (I end up with headaches and tired, aching eyes) and I'm wondering with the NOOK Color being backlit if I will have the same problems.

I appreciate any advice you are will to give.

Thanks

Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka
0 Kudos

melouria wrote:

... Mine is "night mode"....black background, white letters....

Can you please let us know how to set our NC to "night mode?"  I can't seem to find that option?

Distinguished Correspondent
akaCat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Viktornka wrote:

melouria wrote:

... Mine is "night mode"....black background, white letters....

Can you please let us know how to set our NC to "night mode?"  I can't seem to find that option?

With a book open, tap toward the bottom of the book page, then select the Text option. One text box is the font name, the other is the theme name -- it's probably set to Normal if you've never chained it. Night is the next theme on the list.
Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka

Thanks!

BTW, I used to work with viaually impaired people and they often find that white text on a black background works better for them.