Inspired Contributor
Trekkie7
0 Kudos

Cookbook is Baaaaaack

Yesterday went and downloaded one issue of a magazine and guess what ELSE was there that said New - The Cookbook . . .good grief. I'm sure I can archive/delete it, but I had just installed the 1.3 update which took it away and two days later it was back.  Now why didn't a real good book show up or give me a free issue of the magazine I bought - oh well. 

Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine
0 Kudos

Re: Cookbook is Baaaaaack

Trekkie-

What you experienced is normal.  The 1.3 Update removed the Cookbook from being embedded within the device (hence: after updating it would not appear on your NC).  Once you reconnected to WiFi OR re-called upon the cloud (such as when you purchased a new magazine), the Cookbook would appear within your locker (and on your device with the 'download' button option).  This step-by-step was designed so that users who enjoyed the cookbook could keep it in their library, while others could now archive it or delete it from their lockers forever.

Hope this help clarify the situation--

Sam

Frequent Contributor
efeigenbaum

Trekkie7 wrote:

Yesterday went and downloaded one issue of a magazine and guess what ELSE was there that said New - The Cookbook . . .good grief. I'm sure I can archive/delete it, but I had just installed the 1.3 update which took it away and two days later it was back.  Now why didn't a real good book show up or give me a free issue of the magazine I bought - oh well. 

I am very puzzled.  Why do people make such a big deal about this cookbook?  You don't have to have it on the home screen.  You don't have to open it.  It doesn't take up that much space on the Nook.  I have it on my Nook too and I've never complained about it.

Wordsmith
doncr

efeigenbaum wrote:

Trekkie7 wrote:

I am very puzzled.  Why do people make such a big deal about this cookbook?  You don't have to have it on the home screen.  You don't have to open it.  It doesn't take up that much space on the Nook.  I have it on my Nook too and I've never complained about it.

Reasons likely vary for opposition to the cookbook, but here's my take on it (copied from another post that I made earlier today):

If BN is allowed to put things on your device that you can't remove in order to advertise their products, you effectively have an ad-subsidized device.  If the User Agreement allows this sort of thing, then they can also sell the access to your device to any marketing firm.  Imagine going to your Home screen and seeing an ad for cheap mortages or male enhancement products and not being able to delete them. A bit far-fetched?  Sure, but what do we have to prevent this sort of thing from happening?  The only recourse is a user backlash, and that's what happened here in these forums over the last four months and it seems to have worked.

I'm glad that BN realized that this was a problem for a number of us and is now allowing users to delete these samples.  I'd be happier if they were not pushed to my device at all and instead they were available for free download on the BN Shop webpage instead, but I'll take the compromise and delete them as they show up periodically on my device.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv

First thing I did after the update was to remove IT and the 2 other books that were pushed to my device.

I totally agree with Don on this one.

Frequent Contributor
efeigenbaum

doncr wrote:

efeigenbaum wrote:

Trekkie7 wrote:

Reasons likely vary for opposition to the cookbook, but here's my take on it (copied from another post that I made earlier today):

If BN is allowed to put things on your device that you can't remove in order to advertise their products, you effectively have an ad-subsidized device.  If the User Agreement allows this sort of thing, then they can also sell the access to your device to any marketing firm.  Imagine going to your Home screen and seeing an ad for cheap mortages or male enhancement products and not being able to delete them. A bit far-fetched?  Sure, but what do we have to prevent this sort of thing from happening?  The only recourse is a user backlash, and that's what happened here in these forums over the last four months and it seems to have worked.

I'm glad that BN realized that this was a problem for a number of us and is now allowing users to delete these samples.  I'd be happier if they were not pushed to my device at all and instead they were available for free download on the BN Shop webpage instead, but I'll take the compromise and delete them as they show up periodically on my device.

I think that is a very alarmist attitude.  They put the cookbook on the NC simply as a sample book; there is nothing sinister about it.  I guess the way I see it is that I have far more important things to do with my time that to worry about something so insignificant.

Wordsmith
robert93

the problem wasnt just that the book was pushed to the devices, the problem was that the sample, although small, was also protected from deletion.  That was a big "no no"    , Imagine going to a car dealership for  a mandatory tuneup, and they installed some gosh awful looking foglights  and a "dixie" horn on your car, wouldnt you be a little unhappy with them?  Then, imagine you went to take them off and found they used "security bolts" that only their dealerships had the tools for?  Once you buy a product, it is yours, not theirs.   This is part of the reason some root a device, so they have control of it.

Inspired Contributor
crabbybob

The cookbook issue is not new.  There was a time when software packages automatically installed shortcuts on the desktop of MS windows users.  Or worse, installed toolbars on their browsers.  At some point vendors started asking for permission to install the shortcuts.  I believe it was because they realized that many people felt that the desktop was theirs.  They paid for it and they didn't want every Tom, Dick, and Harry to putz with it.  I was amazed that B&N didn't understand that human beings are teritorial creatures.  They stake out a domain then improve and defend it.  It made me wonder if B&N was arrogant or just stupid. 

Inspired Contributor
Trekkie7
0 Kudos

Thanks Sam; I first just laughed when I saw it.  I really thought those little BN Gremlins were trying to tell me something subliminally.

Inspired Correspondent
japerry

efeigenbaum wrote:

Trekkie7 wrote:

This is why people make such a "big deal". Let's say you buy a new car. On the back of the car there is a metal plate welded to the bumper that says "Eat at Joe's". You didn't agree to advertise for Joe's Slophouse when you bought the car, yet there it is and you can't remove it because it's welded to the bumper. Yes the sign is small, it doesn't weigh much, etc. But it's there on the bumper of your new car and there is nothing you can do about it.

B&N is now at least just using Velcro on their ad-supported stuff now in version 1.3 so we can at least remove stuff we don't want if we choose.

Owner of a Nook Color and a Nook Simple Touch

My First Short Story
Frequent Contributor
efeigenbaum
0 Kudos

efeigenbaum wrote:

This is why people make such a "big deal". Let's say you buy a new car. On the back of the car there is a metal plate welded to the bumper that says "Eat at Joe's". You didn't agree to advertise for Joe's Slophouse when you bought the car, yet there it is and you can't remove it because it's welded to the bumper. Yes the sign is small, it doesn't weigh much, etc. But it's there on the bumper of your new car and there is nothing you can do about it.

B&N is now at least just using Velcro on their ad-supported stuff now in version 1.3 so we can at least remove stuff we don't want if we choose.

It's not an ad; it's a BOOK.  Maybe it's me, but I can see a difference.

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC

Except, it's not a book, it is a 9 page sample of a book.

I honestly have no problem with the 3 samples included with the 1.3 update, simply because this time, I can delete them.  If B&N wants to include some samples to show off new features or device uses with a firmware release, that's fine with me...as long as I can get rid of them if I decide they are not relevant or of interest to me.

Frequent Contributor
efeigenbaum
0 Kudos

MikeNC wrote:

Except, it's not a book, it is a 9 page sample of a book.

I honestly have no problem with the 3 samples included with the 1.3 update, simply because this time, I can delete them.  If B&N wants to include some samples to show off new features or device uses with a firmware release, that's fine with me...as long as I can get rid of them if I decide they are not relevant or of interest to me.

You're splitting hairs; my point was that the book sample was not an advertisement of any kind and thinking that this was a precursor to ads being pushed to the Nook is paranoia.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,314

[ Edited ]

What annoyed me about the cookbook on v1.2 was not that I (initially) couldn't get it out of view;  as most of you know, I was able to get rid of it quite easily.

It also surprised me more than annoyed me that some people were much more anal than I, about removing the cookbook;  I found most of the discussions amusing.

What did annoy me was the number of people (almost always with a post count of 1 or 2) replying to such threads, telling people how to delete it like any other book, when in fact that method didn't work, and then someone else would have to reply and explain why that wouldn't work.

Finally, (as it turns out), two days before v1.3 was announced, I finally decided to ignore such misstatements.

Now all is happy and wonderful in the world.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Wordsmith
Sardonicus

Reality bites ( . . . sometimes)

[ Edited ]

efeigenbaum wrote:

You're splitting hairs; my point was that the book sample was not an advertisement of any kind . . .

:smileysurprised:

Really?  If a "sample" is not a form of advertisement, what is it?  A gift?

C'mon, now.  :smileyhappy:  When your supermarket offers you those samples of product on a toothpick, they're not doing that because they're concerned you might be be hungry.   Believe this:  There is no altruism in the aisles of your grocery store.  None. 

Likewise, the actions of Barnes & Noble are nobility-free.  These people aren't your friends.  They're your vendors.  Nothing more.

Sorry.  :smileyindifferent:  It's true. :smileysad:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Scribe
dfehling

Re: Reality bites ( . . . sometimes)

Man, it smells like dead horse around here!! :smileyhappy:

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
efeigenbaum
0 Kudos

Re: Reality bites ( . . . sometimes)

Sardonicus wrote:

efeigenbaum wrote:

You're splitting hairs; my point was that the book sample was not an advertisement of any kind . . .

Really?  If a "sample" is not a form of advertisement, what is it?  A gift?

C'mon, now.  :smileyhappy:  When your supermarket offers you those samples of product on a toothpick, they're not doing that because they're concerned you might be be hungry.   Believe this:  There is no altruism in the aisles of your grocery store.  None. 

Likewise, the actions of Barnes & Noble are nobility-free.  These people aren't your friends.  They're your vendors.  Nothing more.

Sorry.  :smileyindifferent:  It's true. :smileysad:

Well, I guess if you want to make that big a deal of it; that's your prerogative.  I just went ahead and used my Nook to read and ignored that cookbook; I have far better things to do with my time than worry and fret over something like that.

Wordsmith
Sardonicus

He's right. Dead horses stink.

[ Edited ]

efeigenbaum wrote:
 Well, I guess if you want to make that big a deal of it; that's your prerogative.  I just went ahead and used my Nook to read and ignored that cookbook;

No big deal to me, either.  I merely responded to a post you made on a message board. 

That's okay, isn't it? :smileywink:

Then, efeigenbaum smugly wrote:
I have far better things to do with my time than worry and fret over something like that.

Hah!  You mean . . .  You have "far better things to do" such as posting on a message board FIVE TIMES about an issue that you don't have time to "worry and fret over"?????

:smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

If that makes sense to you . . .

. . . Well, bully for you! :smileyhappy:

Bless your heart. :smileyhappy:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Frequent Contributor
efeigenbaum

Re: He's right. Dead horses stink.

Sardonicus wrote:

efeigenbaum wrote:
 Well, I guess if you want to make that big a deal of it; that's your prerogative.  I just went ahead and used my Nook to read and ignored that cookbook;

No big deal to me, either.  I merely responded to a post you made on a message board. 

That's okay, isn't it? :smileywink:

Then, efeigenbaum smugly wrote:
I have far better things to do with my time than worry and fret over something like that.

Hah!  You mean . . .  You have "far better things to do" such as posting on a message board FIVE TIMES about an issue that you don't have time to "worry and fret over"?????

:smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

If that makes sense to you . . .

. . . Well, bully for you! :smileyhappy:

Bless your heart. :smileyhappy:

I actually thought about that; kinda conflicting, huh?  I'm at work and bored so I was posting but you do have a good point.  I'll just shut up about it now. :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

Stinky dead horse is buried.

[ Edited ]

Have a GREAT weekend, Efeigenbaum!!!

:smileyhappy:

- Randall Jarrell