Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Re: Cooking with Nook and Why I'm an Idiot (2 subjects)

Check out bookgem.com
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have a small wooden stand that is hinged so it folds in half. Found it over in the crafts section at Walmart. They are intended for use to display decorative plates or saucers.

Normally I use it as a typing stand by propping a piece of notepad-stock cardboard (the back of a used up notepad) on it to hold up papers, but it holds the nook very well and at a good angle.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Yeah, I have "easel" on my shopping list for this weekend.  I used to have a little gold-colored wire stand I used with my iRiver H320, but of course, I can't find it now.  Grrr.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Correspondent
spinndiva
0 Kudos

Awesome! I'm so glad the cooking experience was a great one! I used my nook colo in the kitchen before: I listened to Pandora while cooking LOL you can find stations with suitable music for any cuisine you are preparing!

I would have totally forgotten about the box stand if you didn't mention it again in your post! Thank you! :smileyhappy:

I have a ton of stuff on my nook (some things I forget are there) but I only used a wee little bit of the memory so far... I was actually surprised at how little.... (95% to be exact and I have tons of books, pictures, music and files on there....)

Wordsmith
Sarah3973

sassyreaderva wrote:

I NEVER knew about the box being a stand.. VERY clever.. I just keep falling in love with this NC:smileyhappy:

I didn't know about the box stand thingie either!  You should have seen me in the kitchen with my NOOKcolor all propped up in a bowl.  I'm such a goofball.  

I'm totally in love with my NOOKcolor too.  My poor husband though......first he has to hold a one-on-one intervention with me because my books were taking over the house  (Apparently it's not normal to walk out of your local BN with 5 books every time you go in... which is at least once a month if you're me-who knew???:smileysurprised:)

Then I get a NOOKcolor for Christmas and now he's teasing me by asking if I remember his name.  He's sitting here with me and would like to know if there is a 12 step program out there for readers????  

Do you think he's trying to tell me something???

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Inspired Contributor
Tephie

My hubby is the same way.  Complained I had to many books in the house and when I would come out of barnes and noble with tons of books.  Then I get the nook color and now he's complaining I never put it down!  He even hid it from me one night!  I had it sitting on the sofa beside while I was taking a break.  He came to sit next to me and took it before he sat down.  Didn't take long for me to realize it was gone.  I had to watch a movie with him to get it back!

All I can say is that at the moment I am not spending any money on books.  I asked for and received several gift cards for christmas.  I was able to get an anti glare screen protector and case for my nook with it and still had money left over for several books.  Only have about 30 cents left now though.  Gonna do some library ebooks I think.  Gotta keep track of how much I spend on books now that its easier than driving 40 minutes to book store.  Anyone have any ideas on how to limit yourself?  I'm thinking just keep doing gift cards.

Inspired Contributor
Zxybabydoll
0 Kudos

Um.. I have a question, who has found a REAL 32GB SD card for just $65.00? I know that there are MANY FAKES for that price, but I haven't seen ANY of the REAL sd cards for under $99.00 (a class 2 or 4 at most). If you found one cheaper that is from a real store and not Ebay or the like (like Craigslist or other... hint hint) , can you please post where you found it? My Fiance just bought one from Fry's Electronics for $120.00 for a class 10. I know tbey will be getting cheaper, but my recent purchase was only a week ago. I personally have a 16GB in my NC and my Samsung Vibrant but I think that an upgrade to 32GB for my Nook is what "She" (my nook "child" deserves! Lol!!!
Correspondent
crenita
0 Kudos

yOU CLEAVER GIRL!:smileyvery-happy:

I am so impressed.. and YES I kept the box.. It seems like such a nice box  and NOW I know why....

THANK YOU .

. I can enjoy the several cookbooks I have purchased so much more now...THANK YOU !!!

MiniMischief
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Zxybabydoll wrote:
Um.. I have a question, who has found a REAL 32GB SD card for just $65.00? I know that there are MANY FAKES for that price, but I haven't seen ANY of the REAL sd cards for under $99.00 (a class 2 or 4 at most). If you found one cheaper that is from a real store and not Ebay or the like (like Craigslist or other... hint hint) , can you please post where you found it? My Fiance just bought one from Fry's Electronics for $120.00 for a class 10. I know tbey will be getting cheaper, but my recent purchase was only a week ago. I personally have a 16GB in my NC and my Samsung Vibrant but I think that an upgrade to 32GB for my Nook is what "She" (my nook "child" deserves! Lol!!!

There was a 32GB Micro SD card at MicroCenter for $65-$70 right after Christmas, but I don't know what speed.  By "fake" did you mean lower class?  I doubt it was a class 10, and I held off anyway but now I wish I had 32GB since I started moving movies on my wonderful NC.  I don't see anything for that great a price on the website now.  I'm keeping an eye out though.  My 4 GB card is almost full!

Life is too short to read bad books. . .
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

MiniMischief wrote:

Zxybabydoll wrote:

There was a 32GB Micro SD card at MicroCenter for $65-$70 right after Christmas, but I don't know what speed.  By "fake" did you mean lower class?  I doubt it was a class 10, and I held off anyway but now I wish I had 32GB since I started moving movies on my wonderful NC.  I don't see anything for that great a price on the website now.  I'm keeping an eye out though.  My 4 GB card is almost full!

Google for "fake memory cards" or something similar.  The fakes are printed with the correct size in gigabytes, and even report the expected amount of free space when you first attach them, but as you start to fill them up with data, you suddenly get a "disk full" warning at 2GB, or 4GB, instead of at the expected 16 or 32.  eBay has an article about it; go to  home > buy > Reviews & Guides and search for "fake."

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

crenita wrote:

yOU CLEAVER GIRL!:smileyvery-happy:

I am so impressed.. and YES I kept the box.. It seems like such a nice box  and NOW I know why....

THANK YOU .

. I can enjoy the several cookbooks I have purchased so much more now...THANK YOU !!!

Yes, I agree!! I'd forgotten to come back to this thread and THANK everyone for that tidbit.

so, THANKS!! :smileyhappy:

MiniMischief
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

Google for "fake memory cards" or something similar.  The fakes are printed with the correct size in gigabytes, and even report the expected amount of free space when you first attach them, but as you start to fill them up with data, you suddenly get a "disk full" warning at 2GB, or 4GB, instead of at the expected 16 or 32.  eBay has an article about it; go to  home > buy > Reviews & Guides and search for "fake."

Apparently I missed that little tidbit.  Excellent to know, and I do appreciate the info!  I will make sure to buy one from a reputable source.

Life is too short to read bad books. . .
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I was wondering what cook book(s) you all are using? 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
yoshipumkin
0 Kudos

If you remove the space between nook and color in that ebay search, you'll come up with a few different results. There are some pretty cute wooden stands that look mighty tempting...if I needed a stand for something. I burn eggos though, so no cookbooks for me.
Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

This is awesome!  I kept my box because, well, I am a packrat and I keep everything. So glad I am, now!  I have been in the put my Nook Color in a bowl on the counter so I can cook from Food Network magazine club for a while now. LOL! I can't wait until the interactive cookbooks come out, that will probably be my first real purchase for my NC.  So far, I have downloaded so many free books that I could not possibly read them all in 30 years.  I also subscribed to several mags, although I did control myself and only used the free 14 days on some, only two I kept subscriptions to are Food Network and Star.  I LOVE reading magazines on my NC, ArticleView is better than reading even an actual magazine!

I started a project a while back where I was scanning all my great-grandmother's and grandmother's recipes but I stopped for a while. I need to get back to doing that so I can save them to my SD card. I love this device!