Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
DogStreetBookGuy
0 Kudos

Curiouser and Epicuriouser

Hi Sam,

I am sure you have heard about this from others, but I wanted to add my voice to the (hopefully) growing swell of discontent:  The most recent update to the Epicurious app for NookColor will not install.  The result: the earlier version is unusable and the newer version is uninstallable, and the designers of the app got my 5 bucks for an app I can no longer use.  I e-mailed the developer first, about a week ago, but never heard back from them.  I thought that I should express my displeasure to you, and maybe you can pass it on up the line to whomever it is that "curates" the B&N app store.  If they can't fix the update in a timely manner, they should at least give us a way to revert to the earlier version, so that we can get back to using what was a really cool and useful app.

Thanks,

Beau

Contributor
hsvfolk64
0 Kudos

Re: Curiouser and Epicuriouser

I've also posted something on the Nook Color General Discussion - [eContent Issue] Epicurious Recipes & Shopping List Update (7/28/2011) Version 1.1 doesn't install.

No response yet.

Frequent Contributor
MIM49
0 Kudos

I have also emailed Epicurious directly that the update for their NC app is faulty. First the app would not update and then after archiving and unarchiving as instructed it requires that it be installed (actally REINSTALLED as it had been installed before after purchasing and it worked fine). Now the app is worthless as it does not work at all. B & N needs to intervene and contact Epicurious to get this rectified or to get our purchase price refunded.
Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine
0 Kudos

Hi all- I'm looking into this and will let you know as soon as I have more information.--Sam

Frequent Contributor
DogStreetBookGuy
0 Kudos

Thanks for your efforts on this, Sam.

And, to answer your question from the other thread:  I do believe this happened on or about 7/27 for me.

Beau

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

DSB, not sure if you caught this on the main forum, but TNT lamb discovered that if you're willing to archive the (borked) Epi app, reboot and do a hard reset following the Nook Engineer's guidelines, once you're back up and running, the Epi app will install and run.

I do hope the devs can figure this one out.  It may be that they thought the NC version and the vanilla Android version were ok to go back and forth between. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
SLevine
0 Kudos

Update: 

I've regrouped with our Apps team and have learned that Conde Nast uploaded a new version of the Epicurious app last week that incorrectly used an expired certificate- hence the issues we are experiencing with the update.

We've let them know about this and are awaiting a fix from them to add into our system. Stay tuned -- Sam

SLevine
0 Kudos

Epicurious Update:

Conde Nast has uploaded the new version of the Epicurious app into our store. The older version of the app has been removed.  Any new purchases of the Epicurious title are the new app.

Users who were affected by the failed update version of the old app should call 1800THEBOOK. Our Digital Tech staff are aware of this problem and have set up a system to give you the new version of the app.

Let me know if you have any questions!

--Sam

roustabout
0 Kudos

Sam, have you tested this on your NC? 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
SLevine
0 Kudos

Tested what, Roustabout? 

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sorry, tested that the app will install correctly - my memory is that you have epicurious tied to your account and noticed the problem earlier on your own device? 

Frequent Contributor
MIM49
0 Kudos

So I called the 800#. No long wait. Got a very nice NC tech guy. First tried archive /unarchive install. Didn't work. Wanted me to unregister/register. I said no way--it would take me too long to put everything back the way it is. So he refunded back the money to my bank acct and he is removing the broken app from my NC (how is this done with no connections? I hope it doesnt screw up my NC. Except for this my NC has been trouble free.) He said give it 24 jrs then the old Epi should be gone and I can buy the app again which has the upgrade. Fingers are crossed.

TNTLamb
0 Kudos

So what is the difference between the old epi and the new epi? Will the old epi update? Customer service had no clue, nor would they eliminate the old, credit it, and let me buy the new..............
There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

/data  577220K available.

Epicurious says "not enough room to install" when I first try to install, after uninstalling (via Titanium), then unarchive. 

I'm lucky I could reload the app via Titanium after choosing to test the behavior of the app to see if the issue was still there. 

So, re-archive, reboot, and ......  

Fail. 

Sam, this is really too bad.  The folks at Conde Nast need to come up with a fix that works for prior users of their application. 

BN has been marketing its app store as a carefully curated universe of tested working apps. Folks have been defending the glacial pace of app addition on the grounds that the apps are carefully tested. 

Epicurious is a great application, but right now, almost every early adopter's unable to use the program. 

The QA folks need to have their ears boxed for this.  At both BN and CN. A fix that requires a call for what ought to be a seamlessly scripted uninstall and reinstall is more of a kludge than customers should have to work through.  

Frequent Contributor
MIM49
0 Kudos

As of this morning the $$ for the old Epi that the tech guy said was being put back into my account and the old unuseable app that he was supposedly removing is still on my NC. But he said to give it 24 hours--which it hasn't been--so I will give it benefit of doubt that it will be done. We shall see.

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
0 Kudos

@SLevine

I saw the problems everyone was having with the update so I did not update my original Epicurious App, which still works fine, while waiting for a fix.

So is this the fix for the update?  To call customer service, have them remove the old app, credit my account,  and buy the new one?

Or will there be a fix where I can just update my original app?

Frequent Contributor
MIM49
0 Kudos

I have been very patient. I have waited over a month for the problems with this app to be solved. However after Ii did exactly what I was told to do and then have tech support not follow through and do what they said they would do is beyond reason. First I was told that the purchase price for the app was beig deposited into my bank acct as we spoke. It was not and has not been. However BN certainly has never had any problems DEDUCTING money from my acct when I have purchased a book or app. Then I was told the useless app would be off my NC within 24hours. Well, it is still hear. I am already stuck with The Goodhousekeeping cookbook I did not want and apps like chess and ccrossword puzzle that I could care less about. But when I am told by an employee of BN that I can finally have resolution to a problem then I think I should be able to expect that it will be done. I knew this seemed like it was just too easy. I I amm both disappointed and angry.

SLevine
0 Kudos

hi MIM, check your e-mail, CS should have reached out to you with the next-steps of your new app download process.  Let me know how it goes.

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

CS should be emailing everyone who bought the app to let them know about the fix, once everyone's sure that it works. 

I have not gotten any indication from CS that there's a fix out there or how to engage it.

Have you, Sam, tested the fix on your Nook Color yet? 

New User
Evansmummy
0 Kudos

I am yet another of these folks who made the mistake several weeks ago of updating my original app. Liek everyone else, I'm caught in a Catch 22 of upating, installing, failed install, error message saying to archive and unarchive, lather, rinse, repeat.

I've followed additional emailed instructions from CS, and that doesn't work either. When I inquired about a refund, I was told that apps are not refundable.

So I'm stuck with this app that doesn't work. I see here that there supposedly is a fix? Do we archive the app until then, leave it unarchived waiting to be updated, delete it and start fresh or none of the above?

Please advise.

Thank you!