Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Re: DVD Catalyst 4 ?

riffrafff wrote:

I only have the one Windows machine, and only because work makes me use it gave it to me. :smileyhappy:

Dvdcat converted an mp4 I pulled off of youtube without issue, so I'm sure the problem exists with the DVD drive or something trying to access it at the same time. 

I'll track it down eventually.

I'll have to rip some vob files and see if it'll work from those, eliminate the drive from the equation.

Thanks for your help!

Do you have anything like AnyDVD/DVD43/Passkey running? While these programs often "help" DVD Catalyst, in some cases they can cause complications as well.

Safemode is also a good way to try and see if that works, however, some of these "helper" apps are a bit persistent.  DVD Cat can work in safe-mode though.

As for WMV movies from Windows Media Player, unless they are protected ("Digital Copies", Amazon Rentals etc) DVDCat can usually convert them.

Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

I'm running dvdcatalyst on a Lenovo T400 running XP Pro SP3, dual core 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM.  Tried three DVDs, they all fail.  Is there a log output somewhere for dvdcatalyst?  I'm sure it's getting interrupted by something on the OS.  I keep seeing an error window pop up, but it disappears way too fast to read.

Did you check the Event Viewer in windows to see if there was an error listed in the Application event section? Windows usually keeps track of system and application errors in the Event Viewer program. You can access this either through control panel or right clicking on Computer, selecting Manage and then clicking on the event viewer in the left hand column.

I don't know if that will help but I just thought I would throw it out there. I am running Vista on an HP Pavillion AMD 1.9GHz dual core and I have not had any problems converting Videos or DVD to nook. I have only done one DVD (Star Trek 2009) and it worked well. I love this program.

"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

DrWho453 wrote:

riffrafff wrote:

I'm running dvdcatalyst on a Lenovo T400 running XP Pro SP3, dual core 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM.  Tried three DVDs, they all fail.  Is there a log output somewhere for dvdcatalyst?  I'm sure it's getting interrupted by something on the OS.  I keep seeing an error window pop up, but it disappears way too fast to read.

Did you check the Event Viewer in windows to see if there was an error listed in the Application event section? Windows usually keeps track of system and application errors in the Event Viewer program. You can access this either through control panel or right clicking on Computer, selecting Manage and then clicking on the event viewer in the left hand column.

I don't know if that will help but I just thought I would throw it out there. I am running Vista on an HP Pavillion AMD 1.9GHz dual core and I have not had any problems converting Videos or DVD to nook. I have only done one DVD (Star Trek 2009) and it worked well. I love this program.

Ah. yes!  The event viewer!  I keep forgetting about that.  D'oh! 

Sure enough, it caught the application errors:

Faulting application mencoder2.exe, version 0.0.9.0, faulting module mencoder2.exe, version 0.0.9.0, fault address 0x0021d1d7.
Faulting application mencoder2.exe, version 0.0.9.0, faulting module mencoder2.exe, version 0.0.9.0, fault address 0x001e1d8d.

Those two addresses, over and over.

Not that that tells me much, and I'm not finding anything good on the web...

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

It will not tell you anymore than that unfortunately,

dvdcatalyst wrote:

Do you have anything like AnyDVD/DVD43/Passkey running? While these programs often "help" DVD Catalyst, in some cases they can cause complications as well.

Safemode is also a good way to try and see if that works, however, some of these "helper" apps are a bit persistent.  DVD Cat can work in safe-mode though.

DRV
Wordsmith
DRV
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dvdcatalyst wrote:

Poor little piggies :smileyhappy:

Is this available on Android?

http://wmpoweruser.com/angry-at-the-birds/

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Alice in Wonderland (2010)

[ Edited ]

Tweedledee wrote: just watch out for Alice In Wonderland

I just picked up Alice, and the procedure I mentioned to you earlier actually works with it.

The dvd name in "My Computer" is displayed (in my version) as "AliceWonderland_USA_DES"

To make this one work, enable "power User", then in Global Settings > Boosterpack enable the 2 previewfix checkmarks.
After that insert your DVD, and all should work fine.

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Serolf_Divad

Yes I got Alice to load into the system and on NookColor -

It is track #33, however do not load the DVD until you proceed to the following: in DVD Catalyst 4 (this was the support suggestion and it worked) pull down the Global Settings go to Boosterpack, enable the 2 previewfix check marks (there are 2 to check) and then in the DVD main screen at the bottom right enable "power user".

Stick the Alice DVD in the tray and it will find all 99 of those tracks, but......#33 is the one to choose, un-click #28 (it always chooses track #28 as it is the longest, but not the right one), and click track #33.  It will load and allow you to convert by pushing the Go button.

It will then convert the lovely lady Alice.  About drove me nuts.  :smileyvery-happy: 

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

I'll have the little girl dance with the big black cat in the next update so you don't have to remember these settings anymore in case she needs to come out and play again. :smileyhappy:

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just updated to 4.0.2.7, and the little girl Alice is now dancing with the black cat on her own.

to update your existing dvdcat install, just click on the cat-eyes in the program.

Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dvdcatalyst wrote:

I just updated to 4.0.2.7, and the little girl Alice is now dancing with the black cat on her own.

to update your existing dvdcat install, just click on the cat-eyes in the program.

Oooh, can't wait to get home!

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Just as an update, since we took the conversation about my problems backchannel, installing DVD43 to help with the de-css stuff cleared everything up.  It all works like a charm, now.

So, if you have similar issues, give that a shot.

:smileyhappy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.