Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Re: DVD Catalyst 4 ?

Am I understanding this correctly. Your Nook Color has to be "rooted" to use DVD Cat 4?

Frequent Contributor
axios
0 Kudos

No. You can use DVD cat 4 on a standard book color. It works great! I highly recommend using DVD cat 4, the movies look great on the NC. Additionally Dvd Cat 4 is really easy to use :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
axios
0 Kudos

I don't know why i keep typing book color instead of nook color- its kind of aggravating. ..
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Are there easy instructions on how to do this?  I really would love to try it but I am not computer savvy enough to figure it out on my own. Any help would be very appreciated.

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Doreenpv

The program is a breeze to use, some DVD's are tricky cause they hide the content, but this program finds the tracks, brings up the most likely culprits, i.e. the tracks with the movie.  All you do at that point is chose the track that you want to copy, hit GO.

If unsure preview the track, generally the DVD container has the time of the movie, convert the data to the information that the program has gathered about the length of the track, at that point you should be able to determine which track is the movie itself.

You do not have to root, you do have to download the program DVD Catalyst 4, let it install, reboot your computer, click on the program, let it load (it takes a while to load), put the DVD in the DVD tray when the program is loaded, choose the format - Nook Color from the drop down.....from there on out the program does the rest of the task, scans the DVD Disk, chooses the tracks, preview the tracks if it chooses more than one to determine which content you want to convert,  choose that track click GO, it will convert the video content, and then asks you if you want it transferred to your Nook Color.  You chose the file & place in Nook Color and transfer the video content to the Nook Color. 

The quality of the video is great, when you get more comfortable with the program it appears that you can tweak it for content, i.e. audio & video quality, but right out of the box, it is great. 

Easy to use, just watch out for Alice In Wonderland - finally got that one to load, Disney made it tough, but not impossible.  Alice is verrryyy stubborn. 

Edit:  The instructions with the program are easy to follow, and if you have problems, the support is outstanding.

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

Could you let us know what you had to do to get Alice to convert? Might still want to do that one myself.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Doreenpv wrote:

Are there easy instructions on how to do this?  I really would love to try it but I am not computer savvy enough to figure it out on my own. Any help would be very appreciated.

Hi Doreenpv, I wrote a very easy-to-follow guide on how it works. It might look a bit lengthy, but thats because its filled with screenshots:

http://www.tools4movies.com/2011/01/dvd-to-nookcolor/

Serolf_Divad wrote:

Could you let us know what you had to do to get Alice to convert? Might still want to do that one myself.

Unfortunately Alice is in limbo. I had a few people report success with it by selecting track 33 on the DVD, but this didn't work for Tweedledee.

A few weeks ago I was shopping for some of the DVDs people mentioned in other threads, and Alice was on my list, but both BB and Walmart didn't have it, and it slipped my mind since. Its at the top of my list to be picked up, and I'll make sure I'll make Alice dance for me :smileyhappy:

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

I'm running dvdcatalyst on a Lenovo T400 running XP Pro SP3, dual core 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM.  Tried three DVDs, they all fail.  Is there a log output somewhere for dvdcatalyst?  I'm sure it's getting interrupted by something on the OS.  I keep seeing an error window pop up, but it disappears way too fast to read.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

I'm running dvdcatalyst on a Lenovo T400 running XP Pro SP3, dual core 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM.  Tried three DVDs, they all fail.  Is there a log output somewhere for dvdcatalyst?  I'm sure it's getting interrupted by something on the OS.  I keep seeing an error window pop up, but it disappears way too fast to read.

Sorry Riffraff,

did you change any settings other than selecting the NOOKcolor profile?

Some people who reported similar issues change the output folder to go directly to the device, which can cause complications (as well as very slow conversions)

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Nope.  Output is directed to \My Documents\My Videos. 

It goes through its scanning, then it goes through crop detection.  The error windows pop up during this.  Then it says "conversion started."  Then it kicks out the disk and the file manager window opens, showing files that are 0 KB.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Do you happen to have a fairly new (half year old or newer) system with an AMD 64bit processor?

http://www.tools4movies.com/2010/12/failed-conversions-on-recent-amd-64bit-systems/

Please try and select the NOOKcolor (fast) profile, and see if that actually starts a conversion (which would confirm the above)

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Thank you....I am checking it out now.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

This T400 was new in 2008, I think.  And I've had it for over a year.  Can't imagine my company gave me anything too exotic. :smileyhappy: 

I'll try the fast profile here in a few minutes, though I think I've tried all of them. 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

This T400 was new in 2008, I think.  And I've had it for over a year.  Can't imagine my company gave me anything too exotic. :smileyhappy: 

I'll try the fast profile here in a few minutes, though I think I've tried all of them. 

I don't think IBM every did AMD when they were still doing the laptops. I'm not sure about Lenovo though, but I'm sure its an Intel you have. But with it being a 2008, regardless of its Intel or AMD, it wouldn't affect the conversions anyway.

There are no log-files to look at, but from what it sounds like, my guess is that something else is interfering with the conversions. While dvdcat has its own codecs in order to eliminate compatibility issues, other programs can install so-called "helpers" that jump into action when they detect a format that they can support. Notoriously the DIVX codec, as well as Pinacle Studio and Nero Showtime can (but not always) cause complications.

If you have the DIVX codec installed, have a look in its configuration options tool for a setting called "deinterlace" and turn that off.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

dvdcatalyst wrote:

riffrafff wrote:

I don't think IBM every did AMD when they were still doing the laptops. I'm not sure about Lenovo though, but I'm sure its an Intel you have. But with it being a 2008, regardless of its Intel or AMD, it wouldn't affect the conversions anyway.

There are no log-files to look at, but from what it sounds like, my guess is that something else is interfering with the conversions. While dvdcat has its own codecs in order to eliminate compatibility issues, other programs can install so-called "helpers" that jump into action when they detect a format that they can support. Notoriously the DIVX codec, as well as Pinacle Studio and Nero Showtime can (but not always) cause complications.

If you have the DIVX codec installed, have a look in its configuration options tool for a setting called "deinterlace" and turn that off.

I do have the DIVX codec installed.  Turning off de-interlace didn't help.

Upon much staring and squinting, it appears the elusive error windows are complaining about mencoder2.exe needs to close.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

I do have the DIVX codec installed.  Turning off de-interlace didn't help.

Upon much staring and squinting, it appears the elusive error windows are complaining about mencoder2.exe needs to close.

Mencoder2 is the conversion engine dvdcat uses.

I just started a comversion to make sure nothing changed for the NC settings (I spent 2 weeks on the new Xoom settings for the update I released yesterday) and it is now happily converting Roseanne.

Since you tried multiple DVDs, the only thing I can think of is that something is conflicting with the conversion somehow. Do you have any other video-related programs installed?

Do you have access to a different computer you can try the same DVDs on?

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Riffraff, have you tried booting in safe mode(I assume DVDcat4 can be run in SM).

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

I only have the one Windows machine, and only because work makes me use it gave it to me. :smileyhappy:

Dvdcat converted an mp4 I pulled off of youtube without issue, so I'm sure the problem exists with the DVD drive or something trying to access it at the same time. 

I'll track it down eventually.

I'll have to rip some vob files and see if it'll work from those, eliminate the drive from the equation.

Thanks for your help!

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

Riffraff, have you tried booting in safe mode(I assume DVDcat4 can be run in SM).

I'll have to try that after work.  Good idea.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Correspondent
EarthTiger13
0 Kudos

Can I use dvdcat to convert a movie already ripped to my hard drive with Windows Media Player?
[singing] The wonderful thing about tiggers / Is tiggers are wonderful things / Their tops are made out of rubber / Their bottoms are made out of springs / They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy fun, fun, fun, fun, fun / But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one / IIIII'm the only one! [growls] ~ Tigger