Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Dec17
0 Kudos

DVD Catalyst 4 ?

I puchased this and have succesfully converted 7 movies to my NC!

However, I'm having a problem with "the lake house".  It starts the conversion, and before the numbers start showing how much has been converted on the status bar, my PC ejects the drive/dvd. This has happened about 5 times, every time being the same.

I only have one drive.  I have Windows 7, Intel Core Quad 2 processor.

Can this movie be converted and what can I do?

Thanks!

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Re: DVD Catalyst 4 ?

Dec17 wrote:

I puchased this and have succesfully converted 7 movies to my NC!

However, I'm having a problem with "the lake house".  It starts the conversion, and before the numbers start showing how much has been converted on the status bar, my PC ejects the drive/dvd. This has happened about 5 times, every time being the same.

I only have one drive.  I have Windows 7, Intel Core Quad 2 processor.

Can this movie be converted and what can I do?

Thanks!

Hi Dec17,

I just replied to your other post, and will look into "The Proposal" for you today, but I'm not sure if I have "The Lake House" here.

There are a few things you can try that might make it work.

1. Enable "Power User" and in Global Settings > Boosterpack, disable the "Boosterpack" for this conversion. It will run a little slower, but it fixes similar issues with other movies.

2. If that doesn't help, turn it back on, and in Global Settings > DVD, at the bottom, switch "faster DVD conversions" off, and enable "standard DVD access" and see if that helps.

Frequent Contributor
Dec17
0 Kudos

Sorry about that, and thank you for replying so quickly!

I'll give it a try.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Oh, thats fine.

If you do have questions about DVD Catalyst in general, it might be easier to send me an email instead. I do look on the forums a couple of times a day, but I monitor my email all the time.

Frequent Contributor
Dec17
0 Kudos

I tried "1" and that didn't work.  THen, I followed option 2, and that appears to be working!  The Drive was not "removed" and now the stats are showing up.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again!

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Dec17 wrote:

I tried "1" and that didn't work.  THen, I followed option 2, and that appears to be working!  The Drive was not "removed" and now the stats are showing up.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again!

Glad to hear it.

If everything works, I'll add the solution to my website.

Frequent Contributor
Dec17
0 Kudos

It worked!

Thank you again for all your help.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Dec17 wrote:

It worked!

Thank you again for all your help.

You are welcome,

I'll put a note up for the movie on my website.

Thank you for your patience :smileyhappy:

Reader 4
aingls
0 Kudos

I have been trying to get a digital copy of night at the museum to convert for my nookcolor. It has been running for an hour and is only at .92%. Is it normal for it to run so slowly?
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

aingls wrote:
I have been trying to get a digital copy of night at the museum to convert for my nookcolor. It has been running for an hour and is only at .92%. Is it normal for it to run so slowly?

Hi Aingls,

"Digital Copies", as well as iTunes rental/purchase and Amazon movies can not be converted with DVD Catalyst because of the DRM these files have. Other video files such as avi, mkv, mpg and iso will work fine.

As for conversion speed, do not convert directly to your Nook. Just leave the output folder set to a location on your computer (defaults to your "Videos" folder), and after the conversion is complete, it will offer to transfer the file to your Nook.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

@dvdcatalyst:

I've downloaded th trial version of DVD Catalyst and have a question.  While the video quality of the sample conversion is excellent, it appears that the audio is *slightly* out of sync with the video.  Is this something that can be adjusted or is that just the nature of the conversion ??  Thanks . . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Hi Gandalf,

If you preview the file using Windows Media Player on your computer, the audio can be out of sync, however, if you play the file using VLC or Apple's Quicktime on your computer, or on the Nook itself, it should play fine.

Do you have the sync issue on your Nook?

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Hey - thanks very much for the quick reply!!  :smileyhappy:

Haven't tried it yet on a NookColor.  I'm just experimenting right now in order to get something set up for my daughter who actually has the NC.  When I can get the file to her I'll have her try it out.

Thanks again . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

You are very welcome, Gandalf,

I hate waiting for answers myself, so I try to be quick with responses.

Just try your file in a different media player program on your computer, and it should be fine.

While VLC is better for video playback, I always use Quicktime for testing myself, because its a lot more picky in what it plays, so if there is anything wrong with the file, it will complain (VLC usually plays it anyway). Windows Media Player, not so much :smileyhappy:

Reader 4
mhochman
0 Kudos

I'm wondering what conversion formats others are using? I've only be able to get Mpeg4_ipod to work on my Nook. With the other two formats the Nook tells me it's unplayable.

Maybe it doesn't matter the Mpeg4 looks good, I just don't know why the other format that are suppose to work don't?

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Batterylife testing results

I've been doing a few basic battery tests with different profiles in DVDCat for the Nook this weekend. I converted Zombieland using the 3 NC profiles, and was actually expecting different results.

On all 3 profiles, the battery level for the 1 1/2 hour movie went down (from a full charge) to 82-83%. I was expecting the "fast" profile to use a little less battery, but because the NC has hardware accelerated support for MP4 files, it did not make any difference.

I had wifi turned on during the playback tests, but thankfully the Nook just put the wifi into a sleepmode during playback of the movie.

Yesterday I also performed a test with a streaming movie from www.archive.org, and because that uses wifi to actually play the movie, it drained a lot more. A 1 hour movie resulted in a battery level of 72%.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

mhochman wrote:

I'm wondering what conversion formats others are using? I've only be able to get Mpeg4_ipod to work on my Nook. With the other two formats the Nook tells me it's unplayable.

Maybe it doesn't matter the Mpeg4 looks good, I just don't know why the other format that are suppose to work don't?

For me, all 3 formats work without any problems, however, there is something with Gallery on the Nook that can cause complications.

Rather than using Gallery to play your videos, use the Library to browse to them, and play them from there. While on most Android devices Gallery will play files from any location, the version on the Nook seems to like video files to be played in the "My Files\Videos" location. If you select them using Library > My Files tab, they should play fine

Reader 4
mhochman
0 Kudos

dvdcatalyst wrote:

For me, all 3 formats work without any problems, however, there is something with Gallery on the Nook that can cause complications.

Rather than using Gallery to play your videos, use the Library to browse to them, and play them from there. While on most Android devices Gallery will play files from any location, the version on the Nook seems to like video files to be played in the "My Files\Videos" location. If you select them using Library > My Files tab, they should play fine

Now that's a quick reply!!!

Actually I've never used the Gallery to play videos. I play them just like you mentioned. I wasn't able to get them to play, so I check the power user 'button' and started playing around with the other formats. Only the mpeg4 works for me. I don't know what I could be doing wrong that the others don't work?

I'm willing to play around to figure it out though.

BTW is there any difference in quality between the three formats?

Reader 4
aingls
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick reply.  So will my dvd copy work?  or is this for downloaded movies only?  Sorry for all of the questions.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

mhochman wrote:

Now that's a quick reply!!!

Actually I've never used the Gallery to play videos. I play them just like you mentioned. I wasn't able to get them to play, so I check the power user 'button' and started playing around with the other formats. Only the mpeg4 works for me. I don't know what I could be doing wrong that the others don't work?

I'm willing to play around to figure it out though.

BTW is there any difference in quality between the three formats?

:smileyhappy: response time and support is something I find very important.

The difference in quality is mainly noticable during fast scenes. The compression techniques used for video look at the difference between individual "frames" and with mpeg4,if there is a lot of difference between them it can show some blockyness for a few seconds.

On my site, I have a few trailers in the "DVD to NOOKcolor" article (right underneath the video player device screenshots) that you can try and play. All 3 should work fine on your NC.