Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
bobchicago
0 Kudos

DVD Converter

Hi.  Just got my NC (HSN frenzy) and I would like to burn some DVD movies in order to enjoy the beautiful screen.  What is the best converter and what does it cost?

Thanks.

Gonna enjoy it here....

Bob

Inspired Wordsmith
TigerShawk
0 Kudos

Re: DVD Converter

I use Handbrake (freeware) to compress DVD's.  If they are commerically protected, you'll have to use a program that strips protection first, and I don't know that this forum allows me to say what that program is.  There are some free software out there that can do it though.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

Search  dvdcatalyst on these boards

$10, simple to dwnload/install. Covert DVDs in a few clicks, Not heard of 1 complaint about this SW on the boards.

The Guy that wrote the program frequents these boards and is quick to respond to questions. 

:smileyhappy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats

bobchicago wrote:

Hi.  Just got my NC (HSN frenzy) and I would like to burn some DVD movies in order to enjoy the beautiful screen.  What is the best converter and what does it cost?

Thanks.

Gonna enjoy it here....

Bob

Bob, I use the DVD Catylyst. A lot of NC posters, myself included, use it and are very happy with it. 

Right now it is $10. The creator is online here and VERY helpful and quick to respond to any problem or questions asked.

Check out the BN NC technical support site http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

Nook Color Wallpapers
deemure

If you have a windows pc, I strongly recommend dvd catalyst for ten bucks. Mitch is the creator of it, is a member here, a NOOKcolor owner, and gives great support for the product. It is basically one button conversion and easy to use. Well worth ten bucks. Just do a search about it on the forums here to see what people say.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
deemure
0 Kudos

We all must have been posting at the same time. LOL.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
phoneboy

deemure wrote:
We all must have been posting at the same time. LOL.

:smileyvery-happy:

That says alot about DVDcatalyst eh?   :smileywink:

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Distinguished Correspondent
mister-j

[ Edited ]

Another vote for DVDcatalyst.  I'm not very tech savvy and had no problems getting several movies on my NC.  I liked the fact that it has settings for the Nook Color.  I would suggest putting them on an SD card as they are larger files.

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

Where do you get DVDcatalyst?
phoneboy

dvt88 wrote:
Where do you get DVDcatalyst?

http://www.tools4movies.com/

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

If you own a Mac you're SOL with DVDcatalyst, but there are plenty of other programs out there (I use RipIt, which is a bit pricier but works spectacularly).

phoneboy
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

If you own a Mac you're SOL with DVDcatalyst, but there are plenty of other programs out there (I use RipIt, which is a bit pricier but works spectacularly).

Handbrake reported to work on MAC.

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

Thanks phoneboy, you guys make it easy. Where else can you get so much Help? I'm going to Talladega for 5 days of Nascar racing and wanted to have some movies on my nook for the kids.THANKS!!
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

Handbrake reported to work on MAC.

True, you can use Handbrake in conjunction with VLC to get videos off a DVD, but it requires a lot more fanangling with the files on the DVD (since you have to know exactly which movie file on the DVD you're targeting). I just use RipIt to remove and compress the video and then Handbrake to convert it for optimal NOOKcolor viewing pleasure.

Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats
0 Kudos

dvt88 wrote:
Thanks phoneboy, you guys make it easy. Where else can you get so much Help? I'm going to Talladega for 5 days of Nascar racing and wanted to have some movies on my nook for the kids.THANKS!!

Great idea.

When I travel I no longer lug the laptop or netbook.

My NC has it all: books, music, movies, internet, email, small, light, and it fits

in my purse!

Doesn't get better than this.

Nook Color Wallpapers
Contributor
maryk0407

I tried Handbrake and had trouble with it.  Bought Catalyst for $10 and it worked flawlessly -- very easy set up and worth every penny.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

I have been ripping DVDs with DVD Catalyst 4 for the past week.  Best $10 spent yet...it even has NookColor pre-sets so that you don't have to mess with settings before converting the DVD.  Super easy!

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

my9cats: that's what I was Thinking! No laptop no netbook, this Nookcolor is great. Its about a 8 hour drive for us, I have a inverter for my power source. Its great.
Wordsmith
DrWho453

I love the DVD Catalyst program. Not only can you convert DVDs but you can also convert video files. I sometimes take videos with my Camera (.MOV files) or find other videos that I need to convert to play on the NC. Now with DVD Catalyst, I have an all-in-one program and don't have to keep track of which programs to use to convert the videos.

"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall