Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

Re: DVD Converter

DrWho453: didn't know that one. Thanks for the info.
Scribe
dvdcatalyst

bobchicago wrote:

Hi.  Just got my NC (HSN frenzy) and I would like to burn some DVD movies in order to enjoy the beautiful screen.  What is the best converter and what does it cost?

Thanks.

Gonna enjoy it here....

Bob

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the Nook forums :smileyhappy:

If you visit my website, have a look at the NOOK section for an easy guide on how to get started.

For an idea of what videos on your Nook will look like, you can visit this link on your nook to view some sample trailers I created. Just tap on the MP4 links, and they will stream (play while downloading)

http://www.tools4movies.com/nook/

Reader 4
bobchicago
0 Kudos

I am watching Avatar right now.  The DVD burn (DVD Catalyst 4) was so simple (but longggggggg).  The resolution and colors are dialed in right on.  Thanks everyone for all of your help.  Great group here!

btw.... where/who/why did the word "nook" originate????

New User
Stormchaser34
0 Kudos

I am new to the forums and just jumped in.......I have another vote for DVD Cat!!! It is HANDS DOWN the best program out there for converting. Nothing is even close! I am not a tech person, so when I decided to try this I was quite worried, but DVD Cat does it all for me!!!!  :-)

John

Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

Another super satisfied DVDCatalyst user right here.

Best $10.00 you'll spend if you like movies.

Distinguished Correspondent
gaming_grandma
0 Kudos

I've been using Catalyst and it is excellent. Unfortunately once I started using it I couldn't stop. I was able to copy every movie that I tried easily and error free. The movies look great on the NC. Now I hope there will be some more programs and apps as good as Catalyst for the Nc.
gaming_grandma
0 Kudos

I've been using Catalyst and it is excellent. Unfortunately once I started using it I couldn't stop. I was able to copy every movie that I tried easily and error free. The movies look great on the NC. Now I hope there will be some more programs and apps as good as Catalyst for the Nc.

gaming_grandma
0 Kudos

A true sign of old age is hitting the "Post" button twice. Sorry.
Wordsmith
ImmortalBeloved
0 Kudos

What about protected dvd's will dvd Catalyst work for those?

Wordsmith
ImmortalBeloved
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well I took the plunge and purchased dvd Catalyst and I have already converted one dvd and added it to my NC. It looks great but I am trying to master formatting it to the screen without the black bars or padding. I would prefer it be full screen even if I lose some of the picture. I'm reading the user guide for help but being that I'm pretty sick right now this is pretty challenging. However the version with the bars I have already added to my NC looks very nice! I'm excited about converting more dvd's!

Anyone have any tips for me on making my dvd's full screen for the NC? I'm kind of confused about what the best option is.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst

Thank you :smileyhappy:

to make your movies full-screen:

enable "power user" (bottom right)

go into global settings (top left)

go into the borders tab (top right)

change "remove from file" to "completely remove from device"

and start a conversion. Thats all :smileyhappy:

the userguide shows all the settings there in full detail in chapter 10, but for a quick view, you can visit this link as well:

http://www.tools4movies.com/2011/03/fullscreen-movies-with-dvd-catalyst-4/

Wordsmith
ImmortalBeloved
0 Kudos

Great! Thanks so much! I am totally new to converting dvd's and I have to say I found it easier than I thought. I am impressed with how nice it looks! Can't wait to show everyone. I have an HTC Evo too and I have been wanting to add movies to it so this will be fun!

Scribe
dvdcatalyst

You are welcome :smileyhappy:

Of course dvdcat has profiles for your Evo as well.

If you select the EVO profile, and use that for your movies, you can play the same files on the NOOK, but due to the screen resolution difference, you will lose a little bit of quality.

The nook uses 854x480 as a resolution, the EVo is 800x480 so its not that much. You can try playing a NOOK file on your EVO, but I'm not sure if that works. The video file format is the same for both though.

Wordsmith
ImmortalBeloved
0 Kudos

I just added the full screen conversion of the dvd I converted for my NC to my Evo and it looks great! No need to convert twice. Thanks!!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

Search  dvdcatalyst on these boards

$10, simple to dwnload/install. Covert DVDs in a few clicks, Not heard of 1 complaint about this SW on the boards.

The Guy that wrote the program frequents these boards and is quick to respond to questions. 

:smileyhappy:

I've been able to convert one or two DVDs with Catalyst (the paid version), the rest do not fully convert.  I'll get about 2/3 of the movie...

I've used Avex for years and never had a problem with it not fully converting anything I've thrown at it.  I like Catalyst because it's a little faster and has the NC option, but it's just not working for me.  :smileysad:

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Hi Frog,

maybe shoot me an email with the DVD titles you are experiencing issues with, and I'm sure I can figure out what is causing the complication with them.

I'm always happy to help.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

dvdcatalyst wrote:

Hi Frog,

maybe shoot me an email with the DVD titles you are experiencing issues with, and I'm sure I can figure out what is causing the complication with them.

I'm always happy to help.

Done, check your email.  Thanks!