Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
crossword_lover

Dear Big Brother / B & N:

Dear B & N:

Thanks for forcing a Cookbook onto my Nook Color without my permission. Also, thanks for forcing the two Nook Color "Starter Guides" as well.

Also, thanks for assuming that I want to look at these 3 items for the rest of my life, with no ability to delete such a file. As the B&N Forum Administrator  Cece_R states : "...there is no way of deleting the file, so it will always show up in your Library."

It's refreshing knowing that you know what's best for my personal library on the device that I supposedly own. I'm looking forward to the forced children's books, newspapers, or anything else you may want to add to my library without my permission with no possibility of removing.

If there's any other $250 products you have that you'd like me to purchase, please let me know.

Bibliophile
Schwa

Re: Dear Big Brother / B & N:

I know, right?  These items which can be removed from the home page and eventually buried in the device library completely DESTROYS the rest of the functionality of the entire device.

Amirite?  :smileytongue:

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

And while we're at it, how about all those people who force user's manuals on us when we buy new products?  What tyrants!

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52

Wow, if the worst thing that has happened to you this week is a cookbook you have to go searching for even to find and a user guide  I guess you are doing pretty good. Have you had a look really at all the crap that came preloaded on your PC?  Or the toolbars that come down with Abode updates and Java updates?

Distinguished Correspondent
Spijder

Can you imagine what havok it would wreck on a perfectly organized case of even mild ocd though?  Let's give a little slack when it comes to the ability to organize the contents as one feels they must.  Even when the disorder is not debilitiating, it is still very stressful and upsetting to be unable to arrange things as one feels one must.

"They ... they have this horrible ... pudding here. Butterscotch pudding on Mondays, it's dreadful." ~Dr. Walter Bishop: Fringe
Contributor
ErikCudd

To those of you who think this is overreaction, everyone has their opinion. Why not let those of us who don't wish to have products forced on us have our opinion too?

We bought the device, and if we wish to choose what gets downloaded to it, it is our right.

I am taking mine back today and getting my money back thank you very much, simly because of this very issue.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

ErikCudd wrote:

To those of you who think this is overreaction, everyone has their opinion. Why not let those of us who don't wish to have products forced on us have our opinion too?

We bought the device, and if we wish to choose what gets downloaded to it, it is our right.

I am taking mine back today and getting my money back thank you very much, simly because of this very issue.

I guess they "force" the user guides on people in the hopes they might actually read them.  But, since you appear not to want to do so, it's best to take it back rather than be one of those asking what the raised n button is for at the bottom of the screen. 

New user, no explanation needed.  Never owned a NC to begin with.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
morgman

This is a proof a concept on the next generation ebook.  Whether you like it or not is your opinion.  But you can remove it from the device.

I think the correct fix here would be for BN to have a checkbox for users to "allow BN to push free content and samples to my device".  Or better yet, simply an option when you are in the shopping mode that shows you free content, highlighting new free content.  

Tablets are new. 2.2 opens up new functionality to your device. All BN was doing was showing us the new value they have provided.   In principle I understand poster's concern, but I don't think they have set the bar that high to remove these items.

I applaud BN for sharing with us new content, and of course, if you change the functionality of the device it only makes sense that you have to update the manual and provide that to the customer.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

ErikCudd wrote:

You must be a treat to serve at restaurants.  "I didn't order this extra piece of pie that you're giving me free, so I'll never eat here again!"  But please do take your Nook back.  I guarantee you, far MORE people would have returned theirs if B&N had failed to include the user manuals that you feel are so bothersome.

deemure
0 Kudos

morgman wrote:

This is a proof a concept on the next generation ebook.  Whether you like it or not is your opinion.  But you can remove it from the device.

I think the correct fix here would be for BN to have a checkbox for users to "allow BN to push free content and samples to my device".  Or better yet, simply an option when you are in the shopping mode that shows you free content, highlighting new free content.  

Tablets are new. 2.2 opens up new functionality to your device. All BN was doing was showing us the new value they have provided.   In principle I understand poster's concern, but I don't think they have set the bar that high to remove these items.

I applaud BN for sharing with us new content, and of course, if you change the functionality of the device it only makes sense that you have to update the manual and provide that to the customer.

A reasonable attitude.

The user guides have always been there, updated each time with new info.  Most software you get today puts the user guide in the help file.  Probably should complain about that, so I'm making a note of it.

The Good Housekeeping cookbook sample is there probably because one of the most often asked about things before was when the enhanced content cookbooks were coming out.  Seriously. 

And I know it takes up so much space on the NC and is always in the way even if you remove it from the home screen, so it is just like Big Brother taking over everything. 

BTW, have any of you actually read 1984?  Not the kindle version that got pulled from people's kindles with no warning because Amazon failed to note the person distributing it didn't have the rights to it (which Amazon only apologized about after repeated complaints and public pressure), but an authorized version.  In 1984, it does specifically state that Big Brother will give you books to read that you might not want to, but will not force you to read them or even to ever look at them.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana

[ Edited ]

I see the B&N apologists are out in force today. I think the OP was arguing a matter of principle. True, in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal to have this item of our library. I actually have no problems with the device guides being on the Nook. Heck, I didn't know that they did this when I bought the Nook and had planned to put the guides on myself.

But when ad-ware begins to creep into a device such as this, it should come as no surprise that it bothers some. The analogy to Java and Adobe (Reader?) is a poor one. With those programs and many others, you can choose not to install toolbars, etc., at the time of setup. In this case, we were given no choice.

Again, it's the principle of the matter.

I find it rather amusing how patronizing and condescending certain members of this forum are when someone dares criticize B&N and their precious "babies". They often exhibit the same childish behavior they rail against.

Inspired Contributor
zozoroshi
0 Kudos

It's not so much the getting of the book, it's the not getting rid of it. i wouldn't care if the cookbook came with the update, but I can't get rid of it.  It is now mine for eternity. I kind of wish Barnes and Noble felt the same way about my magazine subsriptions.  Still waiting...hoping...that my Cosmo issue will  magically reappear.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

MaluhiaKana wrote:

I see the B&N apologists are out in force today. I think the OP was arguing a matter of principle. True, in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal to have this item of our library. I actually have no problems with the device guides being on the Nook. Heck, I didn't know that they did this when I bought the Nook and had planned to put the guides on myself.

But when ad-ware begins to creep into a device such as this, it should come as no surprise that it bothers some. The analogy to Java and Adobe (Reader?) is a poor one. With those programs and many others, you can choose not to install toolbars, etc., at the time of setup. In this case, we were given no choice.

I find it rather amusing how patronizing and condescending certain members of this forum are when someone dares criticize B&N and their precious "babies". They often exhibit the same childish behavior they rail against.

OR...some posters have been around long enough to know when you are beating a dead horse.  

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Bibliophile
Schwa

zozoroshi wrote:

It's not so much the getting of the book, it's the not getting rid of it. i wouldn't care if the cookbook came with the update, but I can't get rid of it.  It is now mine for eternity. I kind of wish Barnes and Noble felt the same way about my magazine subsriptions.  Still waiting...hoping...that my Cosmo issue will  magically reappear.

There's nothing wrong with saying "I don't like this!".  In fact this particular problem I can understand is annoying.  Complaints can and should be made if something can be changed or improved. 

However the idea that this problem warrants a return or a declaration that the product is terrible is a bit laughable to me. 

I'm also allowed to voice my opinion, just like the OP.

Inspired Correspondent
alporks

I can see the point with the cookbook, but the user manuals? Well each to their own, seems to be an extreme reaction on the part of the OP, but if someone is really that bothered by it, probably is best to take it back.
Spijder
0 Kudos

geatdanemomDT wrote:

OR...some posters have been around long enough to know when you are beating a dead horse.  

Yakov Smirnoff might say "In Nookcolor forum dead horse beats you" ;p

"They ... they have this horrible ... pudding here. Butterscotch pudding on Mondays, it's dreadful." ~Dr. Walter Bishop: Fringe
deemure

[ Edited ]

MaluhiaKana wrote:

Whenever someone does not agree with someone that something they don't like is not earth-shattering, it doesn't mean they think BN can do no wrong.  Search my posts and you will find instances where I do think they have erred.  I just don't see this as rising to the level of Big Brother hyperbole.  And this is not adware.  Look up what adware is, this doesn't come close to the behavior of adware, nor does it do anything to the nature of your device.

True adware might be now seen in the $114 kindle.

The cookbook isn't in your face unless you can't figure out how to get it off the home page.  Then it might be good to read the User Guide. 

And childish behavior isn't acting rationally and becoming upset when something warrants it.  It's becoming upset and accusatory and all out of whack based upon a minor inconvenience at worst.  Some people are acting as if BN installed a tool that kept track of their every move.  Oh wait that was another company that did that.  Now that's like Big Brother.

Inspired Contributor
crossword_lover
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

richardwrite25 wrote:

And while we're at it, how about all those people who force user's manuals on us when we buy new products?  What tyrants!

The normal owner's manual of which you speak is able to be discarded. My complaint with B & N's permanently attached ones, plus their new item, a cookbook, permanently stored on my device without my permission.

Inspired Contributor
crossword_lover

sandie52 wrote:

Wow, if the worst thing that has happened to you this week is a cookbook you have to go searching for even to find and a user guide  I guess you are doing pretty good. Have you had a look really at all the crap that came preloaded on your PC?  Or the toolbars that come down with Abode updates and Java updates?

The "Library" function on my device is important to me. The two idiotic Nook Color guides appear front and center in my Library and I ought to be able to delete them if I desire.

The items you mention on PC's regarding toolbars and Java are completely removable, so you are helping me make my point.

deemure

[ Edited ]

crossword_lover wrote:

The normal owner's manual of which you speak is able to be discarded. My complaint with B & N's permanently attached ones, plus their new item, a cookbook, permanently stored on my device without my permission.

As a member of a 4 NOOKcolor's family I am somewhat aware of this.  Nobody was not talking about a normal discardable user's manual, but the one that is on the home page of the NC.  This is not Big Brother.  They are not watching you through these 3 hugely invasive items.  The NOOKcolor also comes with wallpapers you can't delete.  And it has folders set up that you can't delete.  It has buttons and tools and games and things you can't delete.  And they are there without your permission.  Or, are they?

I assume when you bought the NC you realized that all devices come with them a caveat that is an implicit user agreement or TOS or some such when you register.  You agree to abide by them.  Within the TOS is a statement that BN is allowed to modify the ereader software.  You gave them your permission, by registering your NOOKcolor and creating a BN account, to add whatever they wish.