Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

Re: Dear Big Brother / B & N:

[ Edited ]

feltbettor wrote:

Yeah just keep posting why he was wrong in everyway you can find to explain it. Just keep digging in to show how fair your being when all your doing is defending the fault you found in his opinion and the lengths you went to put him down for it.

You don't get it, you won't get it, you'll never get it. It might be a discussion board but some posts aren't up for discussion. Some posts are just rhetorical.

[ Note to people ] - Preface all critical posts with the word "Rhetorical" to avoid scrutiny. A.K.A. - B&N Defender Squad.  B.N.D.S.

By all means though, take another moment to assess your feelings on whether we have the right to think what we think and come up with yet another post pointing out why we are wrong.

Head. Wall. Bang. Hurts. Tired. Done. Gone. Out.

To be accurate at no time have I put him down.  I have never insulted him nor have I attacked him personally and yet you continue to do so to me. 

And sure some posts are rhetorical, but were you sitting next to him when he created this thread?  If not you have no idea how it was intended and that has never been the explanation.  It's yours, but then you are not the OP. 

And by the way, the original post was sarcastic, not rhetorical.  It was also hyperbolic and appeared to be meant to inflame.  If it was meant to be constructive the OP would have sent it somewhere where BN might actually see it, not here where people do come to get help.

I've always said you have the right to your opinion and I have the right to refute it and state mine.  You continually strike out at anyone that tries to post facts and that states they like their NC and that it works.  You call them B&N defenders but apparently you only see what you want to see.  I've repeatedly said it would be nice to remove the cookbook sample.  I stated there's a TOS, but you seem to think that is just me blowing smoke.

It might be wise here to look at another device that also has a TOS that covers something they recently had been exposed doing.  Apple.  They have the tracking thing on their idevices that just really became widely known.  This was stated as existing in their TOS, but most people paid no attention to it.  The point is if you own an idevice, you can disagree to the hills as to whether that ought to be there, but the only real recourse you have is to complain to the company and see if they will change it or discontinue using the product or live with it.  You really are banging your head against the wall if you think any company won't at some point remind you of the TOS you agree to.  I was pointing it out as proof that nothing was done without permission.  Much as others have been reminded by Apple that the same thing is true of what they have done.  If you don't like it you move on and buy something else.  But to me this is a ridiculous thing to go crazy over.  I have over 500 ebooks and never see the cookbook.  The manuals are there for a reason and have every right to be and so what? 

And who is this "we" you are speaking of?  You keep trying to put me into some group (which is personally insulting), though I've repeatedly told you I do point out where BN makes mistakes and do often disagree with some things.  I just don't have the complaints you have and you keep thinking I should.

Call me whatever you want.  It doesn't change anything.  These types of threads are unnecessary and meaningless.  Again, it isn't like someone is poking you in the eye.  There are much more important things out there, really.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
ErikCudd
0 Kudos

From Nook's Terms of Service...

(e) No Responsibility for Digital Content. Your nook is designed to permit you access to a wide variety of Digital Content, some of which may be inappropriate for, or offensive to, some readers. We do not exercise any editorial control over the Digital Content. We provide only your nook and the Service, which are intended to allow you access to the Digital Content. Under no circumstance will we be liable for any loss, damage or harm caused by your access to or reliance on the Digital Content. You must determine whether the Digital Content accessed through your nook is appropriate, useful, accurate and complete. Your use of the Digital Content and the Service is solely at your own risk.

I read the terms of service thank you very much, did you????

I returned my device, I will choose what I read and don't read. Case closed!

As for those of you who had "fun" at my expense. Well, hope you enjoyed it.

Point made!

Good night!

Contributor
ErikCudd
0 Kudos

And before you make another comment.

From NookColor's Terms of Service....

(f) No Responsibility for Digital Content. Your NOOKcolor is designed to permit you access to a wide variety of Digital Content, some of which may be inappropriate for, or offensive to, some readers. We do not exercise any editorial control over the Digital Content. We provide only your NOOKcolor and the Service, which are intended to allow you access to the Digital Content. Under no circumstance will we be liable for any loss, damage or harm caused by your access to or reliance on the Digital Content. You must determine whether the Digital Content accessed through your NOOKcolor is appropriate, useful, accurate and complete. Your use of the Digital Content and the Service is solely at your own risk.

B&N is in direct violation of their own Terms of Service, therefore in my mind they have voided the agreement. Inability to remove the cookbook, and it's unwanted appearance on the device is editorial control, and in my mind goes against this agreement!

Contributor
ErikCudd
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry, I thought responding to the topic was the reason for this forum, I didn't see where it said please attack posters you disagree with. Guess I will know that for next time, and maybe figure out what that n button is for.

Inspired Contributor
crossword_lover

[ Edited ]

My name's Kevin, I'm the original poster.

Some things I regret about this post:

1). The war going on between a few Nook users. They are obviously very intelligent and they make good points, but I wish things could be kept as civil as a cocktail party. I find it's best to make your point politely then move on, perhaps curled up with a good Nook book.

2). My use of the term "Big Brother" in the original headline. It's true that the cookbook doesn't spy on us all, but I used the term to sugget that if B & N can put whatever digital content on our devices they like, with no ability to remove them, then it seemed kinda big brother to me. I now realize that the term is too imflammatory. Maybe "Dear Control Freak / B & N" would have been better. But then I may have offended actual control freaks everywhere. Who knows?

This was my first post on a forum ever, and I didn't intend a flame war (I just learned that term). I was just being my normal sarcastic, snarky self. Just be glad none of you have to wait on me at a restaurant. Whew!

Also, one poster wrote that this is a help forum of sorts, and that if I truly wanted anything but a flame war, I'd have sent my missive directly to B & N, via email perhaps, or maybe on a different forum. But since I posted under "General Discusson" I assumed my rant would be appropriate here.

I wrote it here under the assumption that it would count as one "vote" against forced content (can we start calling it that? I think it really works.) and that B & N big wigs would indeed read it. ("Dear Forced Content Provider" would have been a great headline, by the way.)

My final thought, to the poster who is returning his or her Nook Color due to the forced content issue (see, I'm using the term): I admire your principles, but I wonder if the cookbook, or other forced content, will indeed be deletable with a future update. Maybe a B & N decision maker is reading this thread and agreeing that forced content is not a good idea, which was my purpose for writing in the first place.

A good day to all!

deemure
0 Kudos

crossword_lover wrote:

My name's Kevin, I'm the original poster.

Some things I regret about this post:

1). The war going on between a few Nook users. They are obviously very intelligent and they make good points, but I wish things could be kept as civil as a cocktail party. I find it's best to make your point politely then move on, perhaps curled up with a good Nook book.

2). My use of the term "Big Brother" in the original headline. It's true that the cookbook doesn't spy on us all, but I used the term to sugget that if B & N can put whatever digital content on our devices they like, with no ability to remove them, then it seemed kinda big brother to me. I now realize that the term is too imflammatory. Maybe "Dear Control Freak / B & N" would have been better. But then I may have offended actual control freaks everywhere. Who knows?

This was my first post on a forum ever, and I didn't intend a flame war (I just learned that term). I was just being my normal sarcastic, snarky self. Just be glad none of you have to wait on me at a restaurant. Whew!

Also, one poster wrote that this is a help forum of sorts, and that if I truly wanted anything but a flame war, I'd have sent my missive directly to B & N, via email perhaps, or maybe on a different forum. But since I posted under "General Discusson" I assumed my rant would be appropriate here.

I wrote it here under the assumption that it would count as one "vote" against forced content (can we start calling it that? I think it really works.) and that B & N big wigs would indeed read it. ("Dear Forced Content Provider" would have been a great headline, by the way.)

My final thought, to the poster who is returning his or her Nook Color due to the forced content issue (see, I'm using the term): I admire your principles, but I wonder if the cookbook, or other forced content, will indeed be deletable with a future update. Maybe a B & N decision maker is reading this thread and agreeing that forced content is not a good idea, which was my purpose for writing in the first place.

A good day to all!

Great post and it is quite possible that this will either be deletable or deleted in the future.  BN does not often have anyone come on here and things like this are best addressed to them directly if possible.  The forums are mostly users and many times in replying to initial thread, replies are often also directed at others that are forming or promoting opinions based upon the initial point.  It may start out intended as a comment on finding a choice of words distasteful and not appropriate and have more added onto it based upon what others are also saying.

I agreed with your point it would be nice to be able to remove it.  I disagreed with your choice of topic subject heading since it does tend to make people wonder what the heck is BN doing now and even those that don't care about it will read it.  In my opinion (you have a right to yours), it's far better to create one that says "BN, I want to get rid of the cookbook".  I've worked as a moderator for forums before and your topic would have been removed or cited with a warning for the use of an inflammatory subject.  It's the type considered to be meant to cause arguments.  "Control freak" and so on would also be.  I don't think you meant it that way.  But, this is the problem with text only communication-intent can't be easily discerned and so the writer and reader may interpret things differently.

I don't think I hold any authority here, before I say this lest I am accused of this, but it is best to be more specific in subject headings and to leave off commentary or you will get posts that are over-the-top pro and con and will be seen as inflammatory, because people will not know you mean it to be funny or whatever.  And those that come to the defense of such posts often seek to fan the flames.

Again, I shouldn't have to say this because mature people know this to be the case, but these are my opinions only.  Nothing more, nothing less.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
deemure
0 Kudos

ErikCudd wrote:

(f) No Responsibility for Digital Content. Your NOOKcolor is designed to permit you access to a wide variety of Digital Content, some of which may be inappropriate for, or offensive to, some readers. We do not exercise any editorial control over the Digital Content. We provide only your NOOKcolor and the Service, which are intended to allow you access to the Digital Content. Under no circumstance will we be liable for any loss, damage or harm caused by your access to or reliance on the Digital Content. You must determine whether the Digital Content accessed through your NOOKcolor is appropriate, useful, accurate and complete. Your use of the Digital Content and the Service is solely at your own risk.

B&N is in direct violation of their own Terms of Service, therefore in my mind they have voided the agreement. Inability to remove the cookbook, and it's unwanted appearance on the device is editorial control, and in my mind goes against this agreement!

I'm so glad you can copy and paste.  So can I.

"(a) License. Subject to your compliance with and the terms and conditions of this Agreement, we grant you a non-exclusive, revocable license to make personal, non-commercial use of: (i) the Service; (ii) the software loaded onto your NOOKcolor, as may be updated, modified, added to or upgraded from time to time (the 'Software'); and (iii) any printed or electronic documentation for such Software (the 'Documentation'), all solely for the purposes that we intend, as described on the Web Site and in the Documentation."

I can put things in bold too.  Yay!!

And

"12. Notice. You hereby consent to receive electronic communications from us, whether addressed to the email address associated with your Barnes & Noble.com account or other email address that you provide to us, or sent directly to your NOOKcolor."

They can construe all 3 items to be communications to you.  A communication doesn't have to say, "Dear so and so,"

The editorial control they are talking about that you put in bold type means they will not control the subject matter of books you place on the device.  That means if you put smut on it, they aren't going to say you can't have smut.  Or if you never buy any books from BN, but only put free books from Gutenberg on it, they won't pull those, either. It means you are free to put stuff on it that you want to have on it and they won't delete it based upon its content-subject matter.

It doesn't mean that they won't put content on it, since they have by placing the crossword, sudoku, wallpapers, and so on, on it.

Correspondent
KapSukdulan
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

ErikCudd wrote:

I'm so glad you can copy and paste.  So can I.

"(a) License. Subject to your compliance with and the terms and conditions of this Agreement, we grant you a non-exclusive, revocable license to make personal, non-commercial use of: (i) the Service; (ii) the software loaded onto your NOOKcolor, as may be updated, modified, added to or upgraded from time to time (the 'Software'); and (iii) any printed or electronic documentation for such Software (the 'Documentation'), all solely for the purposes that we intend, as described on the Web Site and in the Documentation."

I can put things in bold too.  Yay!!

And

"12. Notice. You hereby consent to receive electronic communications from us, whether addressed to the email address associated with your Barnes & Noble.com account or other email address that you provide to us, or sent directly to your NOOKcolor."

They can construe all 3 items to be communications to you.  A communication doesn't have to say, "Dear so and so,"

The editorial control they are talking about that you put in bold type means they will not control the subject matter of books you place on the device.  That means if you put smut on it, they aren't going to say you can't have smut.  Or if you never buy any books from BN, but only put free books from Gutenberg on it, they won't pull those, either. It means you are free to put stuff on it that you want to have on it and they won't delete it based upon its content-subject matter.

It doesn't mean that they won't put content on it, since they have by placing the crossword, sudoku, wallpapers, and so on, on it.

I can copy - paste as well...

From NOOK Color' s Terms of Service...

(d) Wireless Connection. Your NOOKcolor has built-in wireless Internet connectivity capabilities. The connectivity is subject to restrictions and limitations imposed by the internet service provider associated with the Wi-Fi hotspot that you use, such as fees, coverage area, file size and policies. You can choose to connect or disconnect at any point to a different Wi-Fi hotspot and thus choose a different ISP service. Such Internet connectivity capability is also subject to the limitations inherent in the type of NOOKcolor that you own.

it doesnt make sense...

NOOK for China iPad rip-off
Contributor
gregnkc

feltbettor wrote:

deemure wrote:

Just as you say or indicate the OP has the right to his opinion, so do I.  And if I use facts to back it up, you begin the personal attacks.  Yes, I attacked the choice of words in the topic.  It makes people read it because they want to find out what awful thing BN has done and if it affects them.  Especially in the wake of such things as the Sony/PS3 and Apple tracking debacles.
For the millionth time, when BN errs I am one of the first to admit it.  I'm not blind to their mistakes, but when a poster is being what I consider irrational and trying to inflame others, I will speak to it.  I always do so with facts.
And if you don't like the TOS argument, well that's too bad.  It's there for a reason.  It exists.  You agreed to it.  You don't like the 3 oh so offensive things put on the NC.  Oh well, then say you don't like it.  But to compare it to some version of mind and life control is absolutely, patently ridiculous.
I don't care what you think of me personally, but I prefer that people with real issues get help here than people whining for the sake of whining.  Do they have a right to whine?  Yes.  Do they sometimes have valid points?  Sure.  But, I have often found that the more outlandish the topic subject is, the less valid the point contained within.
And for the record, this type of post is my pet peeve.  Just because I didn't state it as such doesn't change this fact, but you have jumped down my throat every single time I have tried to point out that these books are not such a horrific, lifechanging, mind altering event.  And again they were not put there without your permission any more than the whole operating system was.  TOS aren't just formalities.

Yeah just keep posting why he was wrong in everyway you can find to explain it. Just keep digging in to show how fair your being when all your doing is defending the fault you found in his opinion and the lengths you went to put him down for it.

You don't get it, you won't get it, you'll never get it. It might be a discussion board but some posts aren't up for discussion. Some posts are just rhetorical.

[ Note to people ] - Preface all critical posts with the word "Rhetorical" to avoid scrutiny. A.K.A. - B&N Defender Squad.  B.N.D.S.

By all means though, take another moment to assess your feelings on whether we have the right to think what we think and come up with yet another post pointing out why we are wrong.

Head. Wall. Bang. Hurts. Tired. Done. Gone. Out.

B.N.D.S :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:- I love it...

At least a half dozen usenames came to mind when I read that.

Correspondent
KapSukdulan
0 Kudos

feltbettor wrote:

Stop. Just stop. If you find yourself cruising through the forum and read a subject heading that sounds interesting by all means read the OP. But for the love of god it's not your fight. Stop being the martyr. Stop belittling the OP then come back angry trying to defend the party line later.

If the OP want to get an irritating situation off his chest, let him. It's not even like you disagree with him. You only disagree with the way he's saying it. One person wanted to emphasize his displeasure with not being able to organize his collection to his satisfaction and you all mocked him. 

And now this TOS arguement is just precious. Wonderfull trump card whenever you need it. Clever. Why stop there? Why not the "root it if you don't like it" defense? Or the "B&N didn't force you to buy the NC" arguement? Truth is....it doesn't matter what you all think. To a business....all that matters is what the customer thinks. And he wants B&N to know what he thinks.

We get it Deemure....you don't like anyone talking trash about your little buddy. WE GET IT! But hey baby.....give some other people a chance to pontificate their feelings for your little buddy. Our feelings are just as important as yours. And we promise if we see you write about a pet peeve of yours.....we won't jump down your throat and sneer at you. Will we fellas?

Learn the words, "to each their own" and try using them instead of attacking everyone different than you next time.

God Job feltbettor... you better report deemure...

Contributor
ErikCudd

Evidently, there are those in these forums who don't like opinion, nor do they appreciate someone who decides to express it. You get called a new user, as if you did not own a Nook before you decided to "upgrade".

Then you get attacked personally about your intelligence as if you don't even understand how the device works, and your computer abilities are called rudimentary at best.

I concede, surrender, and bow to your knowledge and expertise. I realize now my opinion doesn't belong on forums like this, nor do I belong in any social group. Evidently I still have a lot to learn about life,

I sincerely apologize for intruding upon your sacred ground, yours is much bigger than mine, you are much more attractive than me, and much more successful than me, I am nobody, I am scum, I should be ashamed,

I will disappear now. Thank you so much for showing me the way.

I have been schooled, good for you!

Correspondent
baby_chyll
0 Kudos

I would like to give a laurel for that post Erikcudd. :smileyhappy:

Wits and Confidence are the building blocks of success. I so hate whining FAGS
Correspondent
KapSukdulan
0 Kudos

ErikCudd wrote:

Evidently, there are those in these forums who don't like opinion, nor do they appreciate someone who decides to express it. You get called a new user, as if you did not own a Nook before you decided to "upgrade".

Then you get attacked personally about your intelligence as if you don't even understand how the device works, and your computer abilities are called rudimentary at best.

I concede, surrender, and bow to your knowledge and expertise. I realize now my opinion doesn't belong on forums like this, nor do I belong in any social group. Evidently I still have a lot to learn about life,

I sincerely apologize for intruding upon your sacred ground, yours is much bigger than mine, you are much more attractive than me, and much more successful than me, I am nobody, I am scum, I should be ashamed,

I will disappear now. Thank you so much for showing me the way.

I have been schooled, good for you!

Is that how deemure made you feel? Shame on you deemure...

phoneboy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So let me see if I got this straight... The OP posted that he/she was not happy about the Cookbook B&N forced onto their NC, and another poster is actually returning their NC because of the Cookbook issue.. Some tried to explain that it sucks and the workaround(archive) is simple and most hope that B&N will see the lite in a future update, And that started a mini flame war...:smileyindifferent:

Somehow I got lucky and did not get the cookbook forced to my device. If I had I would def tell B&N that sucks and while were at it, Let me delete those dam stock wallpapers.  :smileymad:JMHO

I think the personel attacks are out of line. Then again I'm all about discuss or ignore its your choice. :smileywink:

JMHO

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

phoneboy wrote:

So let me see if I got this straight... The OP posted that he/she was not happy about the Cookbook B&N forced onto their NC, and another poster is actually returning their NC because of the Cookbook issue.. Some tried to explain that it sucks and the workaround(archive) is simple and most hope that B&N will see the lite in a future update, And that started a mini flame war...:smileyindifferent:

Somehow I got lucky and did not get the cookbook forced to my device. If I had I would def tell B&N that sucks and while were at it, Let me delete those dam stock wallpapers.  :smileymad:JMHO

I think the personel attacks are out of line. Then again I'm all about discuss or ignore its your choice. :smileywink:

JMHO

Yeah, that's about it.  :smileywink:

New User
TheKaptain
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

phoneboy wrote:

JMHO

Yeah, that's about it.  :smileywink:

deemure=fag

Contributor
fritch
0 Kudos

Feel the Bite
Wordsmith
KingAl

TheKaptain wrote:

deemure=<snip>

TheKaptainTroll reported for violation of TOS.

Contributor
alfredwoof
0 Kudos

I won't buy anything else from B&N, either via Nook or in-store until this cookbook issue gets solved.
Inspired Contributor
crabbybob
0 Kudos

Will i be able to delete the book after rooting my NC? I'd like to get get rid of the preinstalled wallpapers as well.