Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
div2
0 Kudos

Re: Disappointed on Mother's Day....

Thanks for all the "help". How silly; I don't know why I should expect the Nook to work with a two year old router...

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1

div2 wrote:

Thanks for all the "help". How silly; I don't know why I should expect the Nook to work with a two year old router...

In the technology world 2 years is very old and outdated.  Routers aren't that expensive anymore so why don't you just go get a new one instead of complaining.  It is very likely that if you upgrade any of your other electronics in the near future thay may not work with your current router as well.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

[ Edited ]

div2 wrote:

So, every other wireless device in my house hooks up with no problem, yet when the Nook cannot connect the fault is MY network?

Every device in my house connected to my last router just fine, including my NOOK and NOOKcolor, except for my brand new Blu-Ray player, bought in December.  No, it wasn't the Blu-Ray player.  It was my router.  Which I didn't realize until I also bought a new laptop and that had connection speed issues.  So I bought a new router and now everything is just fine.

My previous router was a Netgear Rangemax and my current router is a Netgear as well.  Netgear routers work just fine with NOOKs and NOOKcolors as long as the correct settings for the devices are used.

Contributor
div2
0 Kudos

Wow, the Apple Acolytes have nothing on the parishioners at the Temple of Nook!

Nallia

div2 wrote:

Whatever.  There are multiple threads on this topic.  There is even an entire thread on the technical support board about router settings that work with the NC.  Believe it or not, it isn't always the device that has the issue.  I thought it was my Blu-Ray player, but it wasn't.  It wasn't my very expensive quad core laptop either.

Sorry I couldn't have the problems you have.  That you are too obstinate to look at any other point of view but your own is your own issue.

Contributor
MC725NJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

In response to richardwrite25...

Yes I did several times

Nallia

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

[ Edited ]

"Thanks for all the "help". How silly; I don't know why I should expect the Nook to work with a two year old router..."

It probably can work with your 2 year old router.  It works well with a router/firewall I use that's end of life and was introduced in 2005 or so.  But that device comes from a vendor who regularly update the sofware for it, and in fact released new software this year.  It works better with that 6 year old firewall than it does with a newer, N band Linksys access point, in fact. 

None of the non-BN folks posting here can replace your NC for you.  What we can do is offer our collective epxerience with the device and with access points. 

You have told us you have an NC.  You have not told us even what firmware it's running.  You have not told us what router you have, nor what firmware it's running. WPA?  WEP?  Broadcast SSID? Hidden SSID?  MAC addres filtering on?

So, who knows what your issue might be?

In your instance, my advice is that the first thing you do is google up "skip out of box experience" so you don't have to reboot it after failing to register.  This will let you easily test lots of settings without a reset.  Once you've got it working, then you can use the deregister menu to trigger registration. 

The 14 day window is for a return for refund.  If your nook won't even connect at the store, they'll probably give you a shiny new one. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Correspondent
ZOMBully
0 Kudos

I hope the op and n e else found a solution. I know when i bought a psp go the router had to be set to a specific letter, i think b wasnt supported or couldnt be read by the psp.go. simple i know but it cause hours of frustraition. Maybe this could be a reason, hope i might have helped
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe
Correspondent
SRay

Sisyphus, er, I mean Nallia: my favorite line from the movie "Airplane!"-- "Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help! "
Nallia
0 Kudos

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

div2 wrote:

How totally uncalled for...as the majority of the responses were well-intentioned and gave some very specific tips and suggestions.

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
deemure
0 Kudos

normysmom wrote:

div2 wrote:

How totally uncalled for...as the majority of the responses were well-intentioned and gave some very specific tips and suggestions.

Agreed.  I think most people have pointed out that there are different problems that can exist for any device in trying to configure a network to work with it.  The suggestions have been to test the NC and see if it works with other wifi setups as well as to post the specific info about the setup in use which this poster won't do. 

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Correspondent
ZOMBully
0 Kudos

Right now tho i think we should ignore that the original op is taking it out on everyone in the thread. It would make my head explode to be in the same shoes. If you end up having to get a new router or nook color its worth it tho. Besides coming to these forums there are tons of great features. There seems to be a lot of reasons and solutions, im sure if you dig in and go through them youll find yours and its solution. Good luck. :smileyhappy:
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe
Wordsmith
gandalf1369

deemure wrote:

Agreed.  I think most people have pointed out that there are different problems that can exist for any device in trying to configure a network to work with it.  The suggestions have been to test the NC and see if it works with other wifi setups as well as to post the specific info about the setup in use which this poster won't do. 

Perhaps because the poster doesn't know how to do it?? . . . . Perhaps because the poster doesn't know how to read?? . . .  Perhaps because the poster is just complaining about something that he/she doesn't understand?? . . .

I know that I will get a lot of flack from people because of this post - saying that I am "snarky", "mean", "have no manners", "have posted uncalled for comments", etc. - but quite frankly I am just tired of these people who come here with absolutely nothing but complaints.  They post about not being able to connect to wi-fi, about the 1.2 update causing various and assorted problems, about the apps being too expensive, about ebooks being too expensive.  They complain about everything!!  Then some complain about people who are trying to help them calling them "parishioners at the Temple of Nook".  

If they would read the user manual most, not all, if their problems would be addressed.  If they truly dislike their NC, then bring it back to B&N!  If they waited almost a MONTH before even trying out a new electronic device and then discover that it's past the return window guess whose fault that is!!

Maybe they should just stick with watching TV and having someone else set up all their electronic devices since they apparently have no idea how to troubleshoot computer problems . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
New User
skysdad

Ill give you $100 for your paper weight.  Thats my final offer...

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

Actually, Gandalf1369:  I agree with you in many points in your post.  I posted "uncalled for" in reply to THAT particular post because I just get tired of myself and others on these boards being accused of being a B&N fanboy, etc. just because we/I don't think every little issue is a B&N issue rather than a user issue.  So, in essence, I just chose not to be the one who pointed out user error (as you did so well). ;0)  I do appreciate snark!  May the snarkiness be with you...always!

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Contributor
Marty1960
0 Kudos

I quite understand your frustration.  I have the problem, but what I do is keep my wifi disabled on my NOOK until I turn on my Virgin MiFi.  Then I turn on my Nook and enable the wifi and it locates my signal and allows me access to the internet.  I hope this works for you.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Roustabouts mentions and which I posted in the possible long list of things to try that might help resolve a possible connection issue..

Out of box experience

Also in the thread Nallia linked it was mentioned that he had to remove spaces from his SSID word or phrase.  Of course you could find that out by following one of the possible cures I listed by turning off the wifi ssid and then trying to connect.

Some had success by changing security to WPA2-PSK [AES] instead of WPA-TKIP

I'm using a router that is 8 years old.  My setup is  comcast cable mode > Dlink wired router > Dlink switch > Linkysis wireless router.  The Dlink router is 12 years old, the switch only 4 or 5 years old.

While it is possible an older wireless router may not connect with a new Nookcolor, and every other device, laptop, xbox, etc has connected to your wireless router.  You are doing yourself a disservice assuming your Wifi router is bad, be patient and go through all the recommended steps.

Some say TKIP isn't supported,  WRONG.  But if changing from TKIP to AES works, it is worth a try.  Same for SSID, I hate running my wireless with SSID broadcast enabled, but so far I can not connect with it off, yet many have been able to by following a certain sequence, which hasn't solved my SSID broadcast/connect issue.

Wifi protocals and networking have to conform to standards, that is how all the devices connect, very few devices come out without offering downward compatiple protocols that can not connect using industry standards, yet there are modems/wifi routers that have issues, but the majority will not.  Looking through the list of wifi boxes mentioned some are saying westel may have issues, yet there was working westel / NC setups.  I have a couple of neighbors with open unsecure wifi, as a test I tried using our NC to  connect to whatever wifi they are using and it connected.

In other words there is a 99% chance your wifi is going to work.

roustabout
0 Kudos

YC, I just caught this in your post:

"For troubleshooting a new nc skip the out of box experience (google for the howto, it is very simple) so you get the chance to try a range of settings and establish a set that works.  *Note this isn't clear I think he is refering to configuring the wifi router or Access Point with G instead of N?"

So, why is skipping OOBE helpful? 

Because you can get to the full-on settings screen for your NC and test that web browsing works as well as getting an IP address with a particular setup.  The setup is both on the router side and the NC side.  I like the added visibility I have when I'm using the full settings menu for wifi versus what you have when you're in setup mode.

Basically, during the initial setup if it looks as if you can connect but you aren't *quite* connected, it's hard to see if you can't register because of a device-side issue, a router-side issue or maybe a BN server side issue. 

But if your web browser is working and letting you hit websites, then you know you're golden.  Erase and deregister, use the same settings to get back up and register your device, and then you can move forward. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.