Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: Disappointed on Mother's Day....

Thanks for the feedback, Furyu - I gave largely that advice a few times in the past day or so, and I will be interested to hear back once people are able to try it systematically and let us know if it helps them. 

It's definitely worth looking at updating your router firmware as one of  your steps.  Earlier I plugged back in my wrvs4400N N router.  I found a firmware update and was able get 14 MPBS throughput with it - a better than threefold improvement. from what I saw in my last test.  I ran N only in auto speed mode and auto channel mode, no encryption, broadcast SSID.   

I just looked up your router.  You may need to flip it over to see which version # you have, as the firmware varies with version #.  It looks like the last round of releases for these routers were written in 2007.

From what you've said, if you can't get it running on 1.2, you might well be happiest just rooting 1.1.  I updated mine because I wanted a look at the new kernel and there's stuff I like, but it didn't make my head explode to have the new release. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
MC725NJ
0 Kudos

Well, I knew it was too good to be true. After about 3 days of using my NC, after all the hassle to get it to connect to our home wireless, but still not connecting at my local library... Turned on my NC this morning went to get on internet and will not connect to our wireless tried everything restarting turning on turning off -- nothing!  Went over to my parents house cant connect there, but could before back in work now STILL not working!!! WTF!! This thing is just about a week old in my hands and I get 3 days use out of it???? Cant even connect at a library!! So sorry for this rant but i just cant help it! Havent even told my husband yet........

I just dont know what to do anymore....................

Inspired Contributor
EmmysDaddy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Problem solved..... until the next device you purchase doesn't work.  :smileywink:

Matt -Nook Color Enthusiast
roustabout
0 Kudos

MC, I'm wondering if what happened here is that your NC was shipped to you running 1.1 and during it's three days of network happiness, it updated to 1.2? 

If you go to "settings" "device info" "about your nook color" and look at the sofware version, is it at 1.2 now? 

And if it is, do you happen to remember if, when you first started using it, the bottom menu bar had "Extras" as a choice, and that label now reads "Apps?"

If so, you've gone from 1.1 to 1.2 and some folks are having issues with that.  Your local BN is 10 minutes from you, you'd said.  They might be able to take a look and help you out very quickly.  Or, they might look at it and tell you you to reinstall 1.2, so if you have your own stuff on it copied in from your computer you want to make sure they know that before they start.  You'll need to copy that back off before you let them erase your NC. 

If you did start at 1.1 and don't have a lot of your own stuff yet, you might want to force a rollback to 1.1, and then use a rooting tool to freeze your device at 1.1. (This gives you access to the whole Android marketplace at the same time.) BN may not help you do that, but we can help you with it here :smileyhappy:

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
MC725NJ
0 Kudos

Thanks roustabout,

yes, when i first got it we had to sign in on B&N's internet so i could register. when it did i did see that i had 1.2 software so it did it automatically. I do have the APPS icon on the bottom menu

I'm going to go to B&N on my lunch hour and see if i can sign in with their internet, if i have time ill go in.... im still soo upset with this thing, i want to return it, but , at the same time i don't....

roustabout

OK, if BN can't fix it to your satisfaction, you could probably get it to run the 1.1 release of the software. I think the 1.1 addressed most of the network flakiness users had seen in 1.0 and 1.0.1 and until 1.2.1 is ready it may be the best thing to advise folks who are having network-specific headaches and have had their devices reset (presumably correctly) by BN in-store.  If it still won't work on 1.2 but you still basically like the device, rooted 1.1 is quite pleasing. 

Please note: my use of  may be  -- you and possibly Furyu, if he also can't get 1.2 to play nicely - would wind up being experimental subjects.  The consensus may well be that first you should do a full format of /system, /data and /cache to be double-plus sure that your 1.2 is just unhappy with its environment. 

There will be features missing if you go back to 1.1 and root it, but surprisingly few since you'll wind up with access to the marketplace.

Inspired Correspondent
furyu

roustabout...

I tried all your suggestions today.

I was running on Channel 11 for some reason; I remember switching to that when I first got the router because auto wasn't connecting for some reason.  Anyway, I switched to auto and the NC won't connect, but interestingly, I've now more 'bars' on other devices.  The signal is stronger.  So, that was at least one benefit I got from this process.

Nothing worked.  I have not hard reset yet, however.  I really don't want to do that because the last time I did, I wiped the NC clean and it still wouldn't connect and I was left with a useless device.  

Belkin had no suggestions.

The firmware is up to date.  There is no newer firmware.  It may be that the 2007 was the last one.  The bottom of the router states v.2004 but I bought the router years after that (if that is what that number refers to).   I thought I got this router a couple of years ago, but it may be older than that.  I had one that they (Belkin) swapped out for me with the one I have now.  Can't recall exactly when that was.

The NC appears on the router settings (online) as connected, listed as an android device, so the router itself sees the NC.  

Have not changed the SSID to eliminate the underscore.   I may try that tomorrow.  If that works, that'll be interesting, but I can't see why it should.  But I will try it.  Didn't get around to that one today.

BN support says I can't revert to the 1.1 firmware.  Do you have any ideas re that?  What about the auto-rooter for 1.2?  Do you think it's worth waiting for that?  Of course, what are my choices?  Not many.

I really can't see myself jumping through  too many hoops to make one device run, especially one with limited function such as the NC.  That's not a criticism of the NC; I really like it (pre- update, that is).   But I'm told there is a tablet coming my way soon (birthday in June) and I'm sure it'll be an iPad.  I have mixed feelings about that.  I think for what it is, it is overpriced and underpowered.   But, whatever.... a gift is a gift.  That's what this NC was too, a gift. I have a generous spouse.  :smileyhappy:  

My point is, I still want to get this thing up and running and use it for its intended purpose, which for me really is a reading device, especially for magazines.  After receiving the NC for Christmas, I stopped (didn't re-subscribe) to Time, Newsweek and a couple of other magazines, and plan on phasing out some others as they become available on the NC.  But that was the one main feature of the NC I really liked.   And I actually prefer it over the classic Nook for reading most of the time, other than when I'm outside.

Anyhow, thanks for your earlier advice.  We gave it the good ol' college try.  

I'm open to any more suggestions.  

Thanks.  

roustabout wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, Furyu - I gave largely that advice a few times in the past day or so, and I will be interested to hear back once people are able to try it systematically and let us know if it helps them. 

It's definitely worth looking at updating your router firmware as one of  your steps.  Earlier I plugged back in my wrvs4400N N router.  I found a firmware update and was able get 14 MPBS throughput with it - a better than threefold improvement. from what I saw in my last test.  I ran N only in auto speed mode and auto channel mode, no encryption, broadcast SSID.   

I just looked up your router.  You may need to flip it over to see which version # you have, as the firmware varies with version #.  It looks like the last round of releases for these routers were written in 2007.

From what you've said, if you can't get it running on 1.2, you might well be happiest just rooting 1.1.  I updated mine because I wanted a look at the new kernel and there's stuff I like, but it didn't make my head explode to have the new release. 

Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...
~L.C.Powell

Inspired Correspondent
furyu
0 Kudos

You have 14 days in which to return it and get a complete refund.

I would seriously consider doing that.  Then, keep an eye on these boards and wait to repurchase when you hear that this wi-fi connection has been fixed.  And maybe the other problems.  BN states "this is a known issue" but evidently it is a difficult one to remedy.  That's all I can figure.  They haven't figured it out yet, but they are going to, eventually.  And then, as roustabout stated, there will be a new update.

But if you can get your money back, I would do that.  If you wait past the 14 days, though, you're out of luck.

I feel your pain, MC725NJ... I was feeling that very same way some 3 weeks ago when I lost use of my NC.  And I had the pleasure of using a perfectly good one for four months.   

MC725NJ wrote:

Well, I knew it was too good to be true. After about 3 days of using my NC, after all the hassle to get it to connect to our home wireless, but still not connecting at my local library... Turned on my NC this morning went to get on internet and will not connect to our wireless tried everything restarting turning on turning off -- nothing!  Went over to my parents house cant connect there, but could before back in work now STILL not working!!! WTF!! This thing is just about a week old in my hands and I get 3 days use out of it???? Cant even connect at a library!! So sorry for this rant but i just cant help it! Havent even told my husband yet........

I just dont know what to do anymore....................

~L.C.Powell

roustabout
0 Kudos

Furyu --

Yep, you can roll it back to 1.0.1, I think, with a firmware available for d/l from xda-devs. 

You can update that with a prerooted 1.1, I think?  I'll hunt this stuff down tonight or tomorrow and put instructions up.  But you probably already have a viable 1.1 on your device, since BN shipped you a 1.1 refurb, if I'm remembering right. 

I'd be curious - and I think others also would - about that underscore.  As I say, there are times when that's an illegal character.  When I'm testing my NC, I just 'nook' as the name of my AP.  So that one's a known legal AP name :smileyhappy:  But, if it won't connect, you can do an erase and deregister and boot from a CWR card, and I"m pretty sure use the mounts and storage from CWR to wipe /data, /system and /cache.  That will trigger a reload from the recovery partition that should be the fastest way to get to 1.1. 

(Pretty sure there means:  you can format those partitions from mounts and storage.  To me, that's far simpler than the make it fail to boot 8 times after you erase and deregister method and it seems to accomplish the goal.  If someone knows for a fact that this won't work, I'd love to hear what the problem is.  You do NOT want to format /boot, though.)

You could then root and lock it down, or you could try sideloading 1.2 -- once you have the CWR card made, wiping and forcing the reinstall is pretty fast. 

I have a copy of the modified build.prop around that I'm pretty confident wards off the update, but also, when I first grabbed the update, I tried applying it, and my nook just restarted and was its own fine self again.  

Also, for anyone who happens to get stuck in "I can't register" land, skippng the out of box experience lets you use the browser and fiddle with the network settings more easily (for me, at least) than trying to work with the network settings that come up when you first try to register. 

roustabout

OK, hunted some things down: 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=931720 

is the link to the XDA thread on building a CWR card and booting from it, then installing a viable 1.0.1 . 

The CWR image and the 1.0.1 zipfile are included in the thread.

I wouldn't bother installing the zip if I were you -- I'd get as far as booting and formtting /data and /system (and I'd do /cache too) and then restart the NC.  This ought to force a reinstall from /recovery, and AFAIK the 1.2 updater does not write itself to that partition.

Obviously, if I'm wrong and you do wind up with 1.2, then you would want to install the 1.0.1 zipfile if the 1.2 was still bitching about talking to the Belkin. 

So, assuming you need a complete recovery because onboard recovery is hosed:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/barnes-noble-nook-color/66748-how-return-your-nook-color-1-1-0-stock...

Sign up with Androidcentral, and you can download a copy of the 1.1 update.zip file and get back to 1.1, if the 1.1 on your NC was overwritten when 1.2 updated OTA. 

Now, let's root your 1.1 install. 

The image for the autonooter is in that androidcentral post as well.  Autonooter 3 is small enough to fit on a 256M microsd card, which you might have in your phone already.  If not, it's kind of annoying to kill a built CWR card to reformat for autonooter.  I have four or five microsd cards on my desk now in labeled bins to keep track of what's on them, because it's simpler than chasing down these downloads or remembering what file is what.

("nuts.  Is that the prerooted 1.1 zip file or the stock 1.1 zipfile.  Bugger.  Is that CWR + monster root pack, or Honeycomb?")

If you do go the 1.1 + root mode, the build.prop file I used to block OTA updates is below. My impression is that you don't actually need it - if your NC tries to update, the update will fail because /system has files changed in the rooted mode.  But this build.prop might be halfway to getting Netflix support in system 1.1 + root.  So if anyone wants to take a poke...

If you do root, find the detailed instructions for doing more than just rooting - there is a

package of Eclair google apps you will want to locate and install if the nooter doesn't

include them.  You'll want to sign into Youtube and Gmail before you sign into the

market, I think it was, to get location services working (your place on a map, other

fun stuff.) 

Most things work fine with the build.prop below  I remember an issue with an RSS reader that didn't like this file, because it thought it was really running in Froyo, and gacked when it found it wasn't.

Really, I'm posting this because it MAY (not will, this is untested) enable Netflix support with a couple of more hacks.  The only changed lines below are

ro.build.version.sdk=8 (was 7 in BN software release 1.1)

and

ro.build.version.release=2.2.1 (was 2.1 in BN software release 1.1)

The modification to support Netflix in 1.2 is to change these two as well:

ro.product.model=HTC Vision  (is LogicPD Zoom2 in the file below)
ro.product.manufacturer=HTC (is
LogicPD in the file below)

So that might be worth taking for a spin if someone has 1.1 rooted adn would like

to try running netflix.

To get build.prop copied in, I prefer shell access to your NC.  Either install an ssh tool from the marketplace (easy) or set up ADB and pray it works over USB (flaky.) You could also purchase Root Explorer.  I hate it.  It's slow and annoying.  But, it's a gui, and there are those as prefer them.  

Then you need to mount system as a writeable partition.  ssh in (or use ADB) and

issue:

mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system

then cd /system

cp build.prop build.prop.stock

and you can make the changes right there, using vi if you know it or

you can sftp your build.prop file from your PC into /system/build.prop and reboot.

Once you have ssh installed, if you want to run ADB commands from

your pc, you can enable ADB over the air:

setprop service.adb.tcp.port 5555
stop adbd
start adbd

And on your PC,

adb kill-server

adb start-server

adb connect x.y.z.w -- where xyzw is the IP address your NC is at.  (Displayed, probably, by your ssh tool.)

OK, that's a ton of info.  Some of it's probably wrong.  Here's the

build.prop file. 

----------------

# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=ERD79
ro.build.display.id=ERD79
ro.build.version.incremental=328
ro.build.version.sdk=8
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=2.2.1
ro.build.date=Fri Jan 21 18:45:35 PST 2011
ro.build.date.utc=1295664335
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=build
ro.build.host=dhabuildimage10
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.model=LogicPD Zoom2
ro.product.brand=generic
ro.product.name=zoom2
ro.product.device=zoom2
ro.product.board=zoom2
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=LogicPD
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=omap3
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=zoom2
ro.build.sourceversion=full
ro.build.description=1.1.0.328.int.enc.rrdp.s31975
ro.build.fingerprint=generic/zoom2/zoom2/zoom2:2.1/ERD79/328:user/test-keys
# end build properties
# system.prop for zoom2
# This overrides settings in the products/generic/system.prop file
#
# rild.libpath=/system/lib/libreference-ril.so
# rild.libargs=-d /dev/ttyS0
# ro.sf.lcd_density=240
ro.sf.widthpixels=600
ro.sf.heightpixels=1024
ro.sf.lcd_density.xdpi=169.33333
ro.sf.lcd_density.ydpi=169.33333
opencore.asmd=1
keyguard.no_require_sim=1
wifi.interface=tiwlan0
alsa.mixer.playback.master=DAC2 Analog
alsa.mixer.capture.master=Analog
# With optimized Neon Arm, decoding on ARM is as fast as DSP.
# Setting limit to 1 Meg, as that seems to be the sweet spot
skia.jpeg_threshold=1024
browser.tioptimization=true
connection.concurrent=10
ro.media.dec.aud.wma.enabled=1
ro.media.dec.vid.wmv.enabled=1
KPI_Instrumentation_Enabled=0

#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
ro.config.notification_sound=OnTheHunt.ogg
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy
ro.com.android.dataroaming=true
ro.url.legal=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/phone-legal.html
ro.url.legal.android_privacy=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/privacy.html
net.bt.name=Android
ro.config.sync=yes
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

Inspired Correspondent
furyu
0 Kudos

Whoa... lots of information there, roustabout.

Kudos to you; one laurel doesn't cut it but it's the best I can offer. 

I'll be checking the SSID sometime today; just in case.  Also a few other things (div2 stated he kept resetting modem & router and his finally connected; can't believe that will work but hey--it's worth trying).  Stubborn, I am: if I can get it to connect then, well, I might be happy just with that, although rooting sure sounds like the way to go with these NCs, from what I've read around here, and given that even a non-buggy 1.2 NC offers limited apps and such.  

Clarification needed on one thing:  Are you saying I can return to 1.1 firmware prior to rooting?

{>>>>Sign up with Androidcentral, and you can download a copy of the 1.1 update.zip file and get back to 1.1, if the 1.1 on your NC was overwritten when 1.2 updated OTA<<<<.}

I know I still have the original 1.1 download on  my laptop when I updated from 1.0.1 (which the replacement NC came with--not 1.1 as you previously stated you thought); nook_engineer pointed me to a mirror site where I downloaded that and successfully sideloaded & installed it.  I know it's still there, but BN support stated yesterday that I can't sideload it and revert back to 1.1 because 'downgrades are impossible.'  Does that guy know what he is talking about?

I know that won't solve my overall problem, because BN will continue to update unless I root, so I'd definitely root from there.

Thanks for the continued effort to resolve this matter for me and others.  It is complicated.  As stated in one of my earliest posts, I am a former WAN systems admin, knew a little about a lot of different things, hardware/software/programming, etc.  My most valuable attribute was hiring good people (you would have been hired in a nanosecond!).   Retired (very young :smileyhappy:) in the mid '90s.  Worked primarily with Unix systems, a whole different universe.  So a lot of this is new and quite foreign to me.  Appreciate the coaching.

roustabout wrote:

OK, hunted some things down: 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=931720 

is the link to the XDA thread on building a CWR card and booting from it, then installing a viable 1.0.1 ........

~L.C.Powell

roustabout
0 Kudos

Downgrades are possible. 

You have total control over the nook, since you can decide what it boots with, and you can then do what you like with it. 

He may have meant that 1.2 overwrites /recovery, so next time you do a "factory restore," it restores 1.2.  If that is what you find, then

- boot from CWR

- format /system

- format /data

- format /cache

install the 1.0.1 zipfile

probably boot into 1.0.1 just to confirm you can

install the 1.1 zipfile from within CWR

Now, you're back to 1.1.

Make the autonooter disk or just drop the Monster Root Pack tools (root.zip and gapps.zip) onto your CWR disk. 

Boot with USB and have the process be invisible (autonooter)

Boot into CWR and apply root.zip and gapps.zip (MRP)

now you are rooted. 

MRP is nice because you can see what you're doing and when you're done, you can check out the Nook app for Android.  I actually prefer it for rooting 1.1, and hope that eventually a 1.2 root method will resurrect the Android nook app. 

Inspired Correspondent
furyu
0 Kudos

I'm not sure I reported what happened when I changed my SSID, eliminating the underscore, or if I did, the info may have gotten lost in a long-winded post.  

It made no difference.  I was still unable to connect the NC to my wi-fi.   

I read some post today where the writer speculated that it's possible there is some hardware glitch with older NCs that is causing this problem for some of us.  That, to me, makes sense.  And it could be why BN techs are at loss as to what to do.  It might mean replacing all these devices; something I'm sure BN will not be happy to do.  I apparently received another 'older' device as a replacement. 

I may visit the BN store this week; my spouse has reason to travel over to that area so, maybe I'll go along and take my NC in and see where we can go from there.

Thanks for the add'l info on reverting to 1.1, etc., roustabout.  You've been a big help.  For many of us.  Much appreciated.  

~L.C.Powell

roustabout
0 Kudos

Just as a heads-up, you may find that to go from 1.0.1 to 1.1, you have to sideload the 1.1 file I pointed to, if you want to just roll back to 1.1, root it, and call it a day.  I think I indicated it could be done via CWR, and I may have pointed to one that can, but here, I just found that my copy is sideload only! 

I've been trying to get optware to set up stably on my NC last night and today and in the  course of setting it up decided I'd probably gotten to a point where I needed to reinstall. 

(optware is very cool stuff.  But it's designed for actual linux and getting it stable is a challenge for me.) 

I backed up w/titanium, installed 1.0.1 from my CWR disk, installed *a* 1.1 from my cwr disk only to see that that one was pre-rooted.  Ooops.  and then, of course, 1.2 wouldn't install. 

Reinstall clean 1.0.1 and try what (I think) was a clean sideload 1.1 - and it would not install from CWR, and nor would the (known clean) 1.2 sideload. 

Booted into 1.0.1, skipped the out of box experience, dropped the 1.2 onto my system, system went to sleep, rebooted and installed 1.2, rooted and then I was able to reinstall from my backup.

By skipping OOBE rather than registering after I'd gotten 1.0.1 set up, I was able to avoid all the fiddling around with registration that a fresh install can force you through.

Now, I know my nook is very odd, because I no longer have a viable restore system on it, and because when I restore my /media partition stays intact.

But if you get to a point where you are trying to install 1.1 via CWR and it refuses, try a reboot, skip the out of box (at which point you have just a bare tablet) and drop in the 1.1 onto your "my nook" device. 

Hopefully, though, the androidtablet 1.1 actually does contain a viable, CWR installable 1.1 as I initially thought it did.