Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
VAharleygirl
0 Kudos

Re: Do You Read Books More than Once?

Seldom - I usually remember what the gist of the story was within about 1-2 chapters. I only re-read now those stories in a series that I haven't touched in a while (4/5+ yrs), when a new installment comes out.

Thus one of the big reasons I got a NC, and have decided to slowly digitize my library - no need for all that paper to gather dust (which I'm allergic to) that I have to find room to store, when it's not touched by me & isn't often something I loan out.

Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

Seldom re-read any modern day fiction.......especially if I get that "Oh, wait. I've read this and I remember how it ends" feeling.

However, I do have favorites from long ago that I will re-read.........books like "Gone with the Wind" or "The Grapes of Wrath"...........and I have decided to re-read some of the classics like "The Scarlet Letter" and "Pride and Prejudice".

Frequent Contributor
Carlcheated
0 Kudos

Yes I do, but not very often. Only if the books have some real facts that I want to get back to, to refresh my memory or to comprehend the subject better.

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell
0 Kudos

The only books I may read more than once are cookbooks. I have tons of cookbooks. My husband use to just shake his head every time I'd get the cookbooks out and they would be scattered all over the kitchen floor. Now, with my NC, he doesn't know what I'm reading any more.:smileysurprised:

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Very rarely do I read a book more than once.  When I do it is usually part of a series and I read them as a refresher before the next book is released or if the book is being made into a movie I will re-read it if it has been a long time since I read it so I can see what changes were made for the movie.  I will also at times re-read books that are a little more in depth  so that I can pick up on things I may have missed or been confised on the first time I read it.  Teh one book I go back and read every few years is The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay - I just wish it were avialable as an ebook.  They do have it on BN's site but after you purchase it and download it is an edited version for children that you end up with.  I haven't looked at this version yet but am pretty sure it is no where near as good as I just don't see how you can have a children's version of this book and not drastically change the story and take away from it.

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

I frequently re read my favorite books. Not because I can't remember the plot - but because I enjoy them each time. Since I received my NC I have purchased several of my favorites as Nook books even though I have the hard covers on my shelves. And I have read them also.

Lord of the Rings does not get worse with each reading it gets better.

Correspondent
musicmama2010
0 Kudos

Some books are like comfort food and favorite movies to me - I turn to them when I need a break from whatever I'm doing or when I need a boost or sometimes just for no reason at all.  I don't have to re-read the whole thing, sometimes just a few chapters will do.

I've re-read most of the Stephen King, John Grisham, James Rollins and Dan Brown novels more than once; Little Women, Jane Eyre, Gone with the Wind, Pride & Prejudice and the Harry Potter books all at least 4 times or more. 

There are plenty of books that I've read only once - usually I pass them along to family or friends, or donate to Goodwill.

Contributor
SusanaSZ
0 Kudos

Yes! There are books that certainly leave marks and I go back to every once and again over the years. Generally strike me as delicious, and they´re in my bookshelf permanently. Now, in my Nook.

Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH
0 Kudos

Some books I read only once, some books I read cover-to-cover multiple times, but with a real favorite I tend to reread certain passages.

Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.
Correspondent
bookwormmom4
0 Kudos

Sometimes when a book ends and I was truly engrossed in the story and characters, I feel as though my best friend has moved far away.  In this case, yes, I reread the book.  Dances With Wolves, The Stand and the Harry Potter series are my favorites. 

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up" Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
Yada_Yada
0 Kudos

I rarely reread a book.

At times I may glance through a book as a refresher prior to continuing on in a series.

Movies on the other hand I will watch over and over again. I tend to not remember what happens in movies. I guess when I read my imagination and recreation of the characters is much more rememberable than Hollywoods. LOL

Contributor
whorledcrzy
0 Kudos

All. The. Time.  Seriously, what's the point of having a personal library if you are only going to read a book once?

Contributor
Emeris
0 Kudos

Definitely reread.... i've probably reread all of the books i own atleast once!
~Emeris
Distinguished Correspondent
mister-j
0 Kudos

A good story, well told, revisiting characters I can relate to and that have become like old friends, be it a book or a movie, savoring it all again is a pleasure I would miss.

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

Exactly how I look at it. Otherwise why not just check them out from the library.

Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

Some books are popcorn - read once and throw the container away! Others are like photo albums. I enjoy viewing them, over and over!

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

I can count on one hand the number of books I have read more than once. ("Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett, "I Know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb, "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding, and "Jonathon Livingston Seagull" by Richard Bach.) And I didn't even have to use all my fingers! In each case, it had been many years between readings.

There are probably a few more movies I have seen more than once, but not many - maybe 2 hands worth. The way I see it, there are way too many books (and movies) to ever enjoy them all in my lifetime even once, so I can't waste time backtracking and repeating things I have already read or watched. I suppose I also have a pretty good memory and don't really need to reread something to remember the enjoyment I got from it.

Although I buy most of my books, I always pass them on as soon as I finish with them. One of my pleasures in life is giving a book I loved to a friend or family member. I could have just borrowed the book from the library, but then I would miss out on that joy. So, buying lots and lots of books is a guilty pleasure of mine, even though I don't keep them.

Once I got a Nook, I discovered I really love reading on an ereader - it is so much easier on my eyes and so much more convienient. But I hate that the restrictions keep me from freely passing a book on when I am done with it. I truly hope this changes in the future.I feel cheated when I can't give a book away anymore once I finish reading it!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
UrSunshine
0 Kudos

Some books are like comfort food and favorite movies to me - I turn to them when I need a break from whatever I'm doing or when I need a boost or sometimes just for no reason at all.  I don't have to re-read the whole thing, sometimes just a few chapters will do.

I've re-read most of the Stephen King, John Grisham, James Rollins and Dan Brown novels more than once; Little Women, Jane Eyre, Gone with the Wind, Pride & Prejudice and the Harry Potter books all at least 4 times or more. 

There are plenty of books that I've read only once - usually I pass them along to family or friends, or donate to Goodwill.

**********************************************************************************************

To musicmama2010:

Ditto, here!

I've re-read books by John Grisham, too, and Jane Eyre, Gone with the Wind, Pride & Prejudice NUMEROUS times.

Of course, I would come back to a certain book after some time has passed, not re-read them after having just finished them. :smileytongue:

But there are certain books that compel you to feel something even after you already know how the story will unfold.

And there are books that I read again simply because I read them more than a decade ago and cannot really remember the details. (maybe it's just my memory?:smileysurprised:  but I'm still young.............)

Anyway, most classics, I'd definitely like to visit again and again.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1
0 Kudos

If its a good book, I sure do. Infact, there are 2 Halloween books I read every year around this time. But I am so mad that I can not get for my NC.

www.redbubble.com/people/grinch
Frequent Contributor
TerryV6
0 Kudos

When you get to be my age, you only need 2 books.  You read the first, then start the second and when you are finished, you don't remember the first.  So you begin again.... :smileyhappy: