Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
trisha48
0 Kudos

Do you read books in its series order?

What if you found an interesting book that is part of a series.

Do you read that book or go pick up the first book of the series first and see if you will like the series?

I will usually just read it if it's a standalone and then if i like it go back and re read the past books in the series.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

Re: Do you read books in its series order?

Yes.

Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats
0 Kudos

yes

Nook Color Wallpapers
Inspired Contributor
Milltree4
0 Kudos

Yes, I do.  I am currently reading the In Death series by J.D. Robb and I keep checking to see what book is next in the series.

Reader 4
majajv
0 Kudos

I have unwittingly read a book that was in the middle of a series and then read the others if I liked it but I am pretty adamant about reading a series in order which can be very frustrating.  I have even paid to belong to a neighboring library so that I had access to a broader selection so I could "fill in" the needed books in a series.

Jennifer   

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I prefer to read them in order.  At times--especially with mystery books that aren't necessarily sequential--I'll pick one up from the middle.  Then, if I've enjoyed it, I'll start over from the beginning. 

Distinguished Correspondent
peppyauntie121
0 Kudos

trisha48 wrote:

What if you found an interesting book that is part of a series.

Do you read that book or go pick up the first book of the series first and see if you will like the series?

I will usually just read it if it's a standalone and then if i like it go back and re read the past books in the series.

I try really hard to read books in a series in order.  But it's getting more and more difficult with all the reissues these writers, like Linda Lael Miller, put out....changing the covers to make them look different.  And also not knowing when the next in the series will be out.  Sometimes I'll discover a book that's got early books in the series, so I'll go back.  I don't like the book to leave you hanging until the next in the series is released in 9 months or so. 

Contributor
LauraBe

yes and Im OCD about it. I also watch television series in order too

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am very OCD about it too.

And I have my shirts in order by color in my closet.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Inspired Correspondent
alporks
0 Kudos

I prefer to read them in order, but if I can't.... *shrugs*
Frequent Contributor
knit1cat2
0 Kudos

I am not much of a reader, but when I do, yes I do cause I can follow the characters better. The books I am reading now bounce to the previous books character story line. I think the author wants you to. Besides usually if you are interested in one, most of the others in the series will/would be just as good. Dont you agree?
Frequent Contributor
KD67
0 Kudos

Normally Yes I read a series in order.  Back when I was in high school a friend gave me a book called Anarchy in the Ashes by William W. Johnstone to read, It was the 3rd book in a series.  I read it and loved it and have since purchased and read all 33 books in the series.  I am currently reading 3 different series of books due to waiting on new ones to come out and/or because I need a change in story types from time to time.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

I like everything in order with just one exception: for some reason I enjoy reading The Chronicles of Narnia in order of which they were published. Yes, I still re-read The Chronicles.