Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

Re: Does New Updated Include App to Download Kindle Books

I doubt B&N would ever sell the Kindle app to use on the nook. That said, Amazon sells Nooks and Nook accessories on their website. Go figure!!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Contributor
irishais

That's because Amazon is a general open marketplace, so anyone can sell whatever they want without being branded for Amazon.

BN will never carry the Amazon app on the NC, period, full stop. It's like asking Amazon to run the Nook app on their device-- both companies are there, at their cores, to make money selling books, so it makes NO LOGICAL SENSE for Amazon to fuel BN's profits or for BN to fuel Amazon's.

It just continually amazes me that people think it would be par for the course for BN to carry another company's reader app on their store-specific reader-- or, for that matter, for BN to carry Amazon gift cards in their physical retail stores, a question I get on an alarmingly regular basis.

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

I too do not understand why people think that Barnes and Nobles would offer a Kindle ap for the Nook Color - why even ask the question? 

That is like having McDonald selling Burger King food in their store, or Pizza Hut selling gift cards for Domino's pizza.   Besides, does Amazon offer the Barnes and Noble ap on their Kindle?

Reader 4
Teneshia

I respectfully disagree. I think offering an app for the other on each device would allow the user/owner to decide which device is optimal for their needs and allow purchases from either market place. The purchase of the device is a one time thing (for the most part). Purchasing apps and books is where the customer will keep coming back.

Just my opinion.

T

Wordsmith
JinSC

When I first saw this thread I thought: "Wow! What a stupid question!  Of course it wouldn't."  But I can think of at least 3 scenarios where it would be to B&N's advantage.

1.  A Kindle owner finally comes to his/her senses and realizes that a Nook Color/Tablet is really a better option.  Problem:  $300 worth of books in his/her Kindle acct.  If 1.4 had the Kindle app, problem solved.  In fact, this increases the possibility that people might by a Nook.  Don't we all want more choices?

2. A NC owner who is frustrated because Amazon always seems to have a better deal on the books he/she wants, and is thinking about jumping ship and buying a Fire.  Again, Kindle app solves the problem.

3. A customer owns neither a Nook or Kindle product and is trying to decide whether to buy a Fire or a Nook Tablet.  If one of those options gave him/her the advantage of being able to shop both markets, wouldn't that be a selling point?

Now, I'm not saying B&N will do this, I'm just saying it has an upside.

Jeremy

Inspired Correspondent
DanRNJ
0 Kudos

I wouldn't ask BN to sell the Kindle app for their reader but root the NC or use an SD card to provide dual boot capability and you can run either/both free reader apps in Android mode. 

Frequent Contributor
efeigenbaum

JinSC wrote:

When I first saw this thread I thought: "Wow! What a stupid question!  Of course it wouldn't."  But I can think of at least 3 scenarios where it would be to B&N's advantage.

1.  A Kindle owner finally comes to his/her senses and realizes that a Nook Color/Tablet is really a better option.  Problem:  $300 worth of books in his/her Kindle acct.  If 1.4 had the Kindle app, problem solved.  In fact, this increases the possibility that people might by a Nook.  Don't we all want more choices?

2. A NC owner who is frustrated because Amazon always seems to have a better deal on the books he/she wants, and is thinking about jumping ship and buying a Fire.  Again, Kindle app solves the problem.

3. A customer owns neither a Nook or Kindle product and is trying to decide whether to buy a Fire or a Nook Tablet.  If one of those options gave him/her the advantage of being able to shop both markets, wouldn't that be a selling point?

Now, I'm not saying B&N will do this, I'm just saying it has an upside.

Jeremy

I thought the same thing you did when I read the question but you made some very good points and I'm glad I refrained from posting the acerbic response that first came to mind.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

[ Edited ]

I make two assumptions as I think about this:

1) BN and Amazon make little net profit on the hardware itself per device sold as compared to what an electronics manufacturer makes. The bill of materials alone on the NT tops 200, since the Fire BOM is about 200 and the NT has additional flash memory and additional RAM, plus it comes bundled with a charger and a cable. The bill of materials does not include assembly, shipping and distribution costs.

2) Rational consumers, given the choice of two bookstores on a device, will begin gravitating to the less expensive one. (The last time I used 'rational' someone felt I was calling them irrational; please be aware that I am using it to describe a mythical 'average' consumer of the sort economists like to model.) On agency press titles, BN and Amazon are dead even on pricing. On every non-agency title I have been interested in to date, Amazon is cheaper, often 30% to 50% cheaper.

1. A Kindle owner finally comes to his/her senses and realizes that a Nook Color/Tablet is really a better option. Problem: $300 worth of books in his/her Kindle acct. If 1.4 had the Kindle app, problem solved. In fact, this increases the possibility that people might by a Nook. Don't we all want more choices?

Does BN want to sell their hardware to this customer, who will likely keep shopping at Amazon? I would argue that they don't have any reason to.

2. A NC owner who is frustrated because Amazon always seems to have a better deal on the books he/she wants, and is thinking about jumping ship and buying a Fire. Again, Kindle app solves the problem.

Actually, BN probably doesn't mind losing this customer's ebook purchases; let Amazon pay the development costs of making hardware for Amazon customers. 

3. A customer owns neither a Nook or Kindle product and is trying to decide whether to buy a Fire or a Nook Tablet. If one of those options gave him/her the advantage of being able to shop both markets, wouldn't that be a selling point?

Neither Amazon nor BN really wants to sell these consumers a tablet. What they want is to sell these customers their services.  If the tablet is the best way to accomplish that, so be it.  

I think these dynamics might change quickly if the Amazon appstore started offering the Nook app to Fire users. At that point many of the religious beliefs around platform openness being a BN exclusive would evaporate, like good intentions on a Sunday afternoon in New Orleans.  

I see that Amazon does offer Aldiko - does anyone know for sure that they offer that for the Fire? That lets Amazon give their customers a way to port across a BN library without opening themselves up to the BN bookshop (and although Aldiko does have a book-buying service built in, it's not well known and I don't know if it's part of the Amazon app.) 

I'm happy to keep helping Amazon customers migrate off their book platform without needing BN to offer the Kindle app on the Nook, over at

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/09/information-security-and-digital-rights.html 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
BeckyWC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I see that Amazon does offer Aldiko - does anyone know for sure that they offer that for the Fire? That lets Amazon give their customers a way to port across a BN library without opening themselves up to the BN bookshop (and although Aldiko does have a book-buying service built in, it's not well known and I don't know if it's part of the Amazon app.) 

Though Aldiko and Kobo are in the Amazon App Store, they show them as not available for the Fire. But Amazon has not blocked the ability to sideload the app.  I currently have a fire and have both nook for android, sony app reader and kobo apps on my device.

Amazon has also posted the source files for the Fire, there is currently a youtube video where a hacker is running ice cream sandwich on the fire.  So once they've gotten all the kinks out of it, I intend to root my fire and put ice cream sandwich on it.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg819ZqLMIY&feature=player_embedded

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,259
0 Kudos

Company goals

Companies make decisions on this from the viewpoint of profits, without alienating too many customers.  People are arguing for this from the viewpoint of the user, without understanding the former.

In addition, most companies try to lock customers into their products.  Look at competing software products:  Most software products will READ a competitor's file formats, but not WRITE them.  When one understands WHY this is the way it is, one has a better understanding of this issue.

Even industry standards (in any industry) are usually formed by smaller competitors to compete against one large competitor.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the update on what's available on a stock fire using the by-the-books install process (yes, I realize bypassing it isn't hard.)  I did not expect that epub readers would be allowed on the fire, and there were others who felt I needed to loosen my tinfoil hat and get out once in a while.  So I'll keep wiring plastique around my faraday cage here at Undisclosed Location :smileyhappy:  

Becky, before I committed to installing ICS on the Fire, I'd want to be sure there was a recovery method that worked - a little more doubtful on a device that can't boot from an SD card if it's borked - and I'd want to know if by installing ICS I was going to give up being able to copy files directly to the Fire (treating it as a mass storage device.)

Honeycomb devices, at least, require that you talk to them via an interface called MTP - they act like media players.  This is slow and buggy, it turns out.  I don't know if ICS has brought back unmounting the fat partition and letting computers write directly to it, but I would guess it has not.  

I don't see Honeycomb as a leap forward any longer;  it's just the only OS available on many newer devices.   I suspect I'll feel the same about ICS, but with the Fire this would mean that you may no longer use Calibre to manage the library on the device after installing ICS.  

On a Honeycomb device, to use Calibre you must eject the SD card and mount that on your computer.  Then you can use Calibre to look to see what's on the card and to add files to it.  It's clunky but it works.

Since there is no SD card to eject on a Fire, if ICS forces the new protocol, you'll need to drag and drop everything, and deletions won't be picked up until you restart your whole PC - disconnecting and reconnecting the cable won't poll the device for changes.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

I am pretty sure I saw an article about how to get the Nook app on the Kindle Fire and it didn't involve sideloading or rooting.  I think you just changed a setting to allow 3rd party apps, load getjar and get it from there.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57336998-285/how-to-read-your-nook-books-on-the-kindle-fire/

And unlike 3rd party apps on the NT, I doubt this is something that Amazon feels they need to fix.  As was stated before, pricing is the same on Agency books and they are already cheaper on most others.  If they can give BN customers an easy way to migrate over without losing their books, OK by them.

roustabout
0 Kudos

Getjar is more-or-less sideloading, IMO.  Yes, it's easy, but it's not 'install it from the Amazon store' easy.  I'd put it basically at the skill level required to install the Amazon appstore on the Nook tablet.  

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Teneshia wrote:

I respectfully disagree. I think offering an app for the other on each device would allow the user/owner to decide which device is optimal for their needs and allow purchases from either market place. The purchase of the device is a one time thing (for the most part). Purchasing apps and books is where the customer will keep coming back.

Just my opinion.

T

The, the retailers, don't want you to be able to decide that.  They want you to buy the books from their store.  B&N is more open, you can buy anywhere that sells ePubs except Apple.  I would never expect to see Amazon offering an ePub reader on any of their devices, they want people to buy from them and them alone. If they didn't they wouldn't have that proprietary format.

Reader
TEDEA
0 Kudos

When I try to install the Kindle Reading App on my Nook Color ("Blue Dot" version) running Cyanogenmod 7.0.3-encore Android 2.3.3 Build GR140 from a microSD card, or on my Nook Color running Honeycomb3.0 from microSD card, I get the message "Your device is not compatible with this item." Searching around the internet, I found one suggestion that if I changed the screen resolution the app would be compatible, but I haven't been able to get this to work. Any advice?”

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

TEDEA wrote:

When I try to install the Kindle Reading App on my Nook Color ("Blue Dot" version) running Cyanogenmod 7.0.3-encore Android 2.3.3 Build GR140 from a microSD card, or on my Nook Color running Honeycomb3.0 from microSD card, I get the message "Your device is not compatible with this item." Searching around the internet, I found one suggestion that if I changed the screen resolution the app would be compatible, but I haven't been able to get this to work. Any advice?”

I suggest updating to CM7 7.1 with it's longer battery life--and hopefully compatibility for your app

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

CraigAZ wrote:

TEDEA wrote:

I suggest updating to CM7 7.1 with it's longer battery life--and hopefully compatibility for your app

Yep rolled my own with CM7.1 as the latest. And haven't yet down the Kindle app yet. So not sure if that will fix the issue or not.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/