Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
ebonyeyes1968
0 Kudos

Does New Updated Include App to Download Kindle Books

Does anyone know with the new update, if we'll be able to download Kindle Books too? Or does your NC have to be rooted?

Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000
0 Kudos

Re: Does New Updated Include App to Download Kindle Books

The Kindle app is not in the app store.  :smileymad:

New User
ebonyeyes1968
0 Kudos

cfbush2000 wrote:

The Kindle app is not in the app store.  :smileymad:

Awe man. That's the app I really want. I have Kindle books downloaded on my PC but I want to read them on my Nook.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Nope have to root the Nook color then can install the Kindle app from the android market and works great.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
New User
ebonyeyes1968
0 Kudos

orb9220 wrote:

Nope have to root the Nook color then can install the Kindle app from the android market and works great.

Thanks. is Autonooter the best one to use when ti comes to rooting or is there another one you can suggest?

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have only used autonooter. But will have to wait for the autonooter to be updated to cover the new 1.2 we just got. Should be done in a week or two at the most.

There are pluses and minus to the different ways to root.

The link that explains the options.

I like the autonooter method as don't have to boot with SD card or run Android from the card which could be a point of slower operation with some apps. Tho some prefer the Boot with SD card method as it doesn't touch the Nook primary partition and can remove card and boot back into stock nook with no changes.

Autorooter is best of both worlds for me. Tho it does modify the nook but leaves the stock software intact and just adds the ability to customize and add apps from the android market.

Disadvantages are that you must return it to a stock state before any B&N firmware upgrade and then wait for the new autonooter to be released for the new version. But there are ways to disable the auto-update firmware feature that I haven't bothered to look into yet.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

ebonyeyes1968 wrote:

orb9220 wrote:

Thanks. is Autonooter the best one to use when ti comes to rooting or is there another one you can suggest?

The new autonooter for this update is not out yet. I was just on XDA and there are several posts about not using the old autonooter as you will think you bricked your NC. If you updated and now want to root using autonooter you have to wait.

New User
ebonyeyes1968
0 Kudos

orb9220 wrote:

I have only used autonooter. But will have to wait for the autonooter to be updated to cover the new 1.2 we just got. Should be done in a week or two at the most.

Let me look for the link that explains the options.

Back in 5

Thank you so much for your quick response.

New User
ebonyeyes1968
0 Kudos

mariel9898 wrote:

The new autonooter for this update is not out yet. I was just on XDA and there are several posts about not using the old autonooter as you will think you bricked your NC. If you updated and now want to root using autonooter you have to wait.

Thanks. That's good to know.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Updated link info and more info in my post above.

Reader 2
mogelijk

While I'd love to see it, I just can't see B&N allowing an app that would allow us to read their competitor's books on the Nook Color.  My guess is we will never see Kindle software available for the Nook Color and that if you want it you will need to root.

Though if B&N is reading, I'd love for them to surprise me and add the Kindle software to the available apps!

Reader 2
marquis-skarnu

There's a program out there called Calibre that can change the file format of a Kindle book to the epub format. Here's the link to its site: http://calibre-ebook.com/
New User
ebonyeyes1968
0 Kudos

orb9220 wrote:

The link that explains the options.

I like the autonooter method as don't have to boot with SD card or run Android from the card which could be a point of slower operation with some apps. Tho some prefer the Boot with SD card method as it doesn't touch the Nook primary partition and can remove card and boot back into stock nook with no changes.

Autorooter is best of both worlds for me. Tho it does modify the nook but leaves the stock software intact and just adds the ability to customize and add apps from the android market.

Disadvantages are that you must return it to a stock state before any B&N firmware upgrade and then wait for the new autonooter to be released for the new version. But there are ways to disable the auto-update firmware feature that I haven't bothered to look into yet.

Thanks. I'm about to read the information now and decide on what I need to do. I love my NC but have all the books I bought on Kindle before I purchased my NC that I have yet to read.

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

marquis-skarnu wrote:
There's a program out there called Calibre that can change the file format of a Kindle book to the epub format. Here's the link to its site: http://calibre-ebook.com/

It's not quite that easy. You have to strip DRM first.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

marquis-skarnu wrote:

Sorry but Calibre will Not convert DRM books of any sort by default.

Unless of course you install python and then install and use these plugins.

New User
ebonyeyes1968

mogelijk wrote:

While I'd love to see it, I just can't see B&N allowing an app that would allow us to read their competitor's books on the Nook Color.  My guess is we will never see Kindle software available for the Nook Color and that if you want it you will need to root.

Though if B&N is reading, I'd love for them to surprise me and add the Kindle software to the available apps!

You're probably right. It woudn't stop me from buying from B&N. I prefer them over the others that's why I went with purchasing the NC.

New User
ebonyeyes1968
0 Kudos

orb9220 wrote:

marquis-skarnu wrote:

If I have to go through all of that to read "one" book, I will end up purchasing another book instead. I understand why they activate DRM, but then again I don't. I want books to be available to read on all e-readers... I love my NC and have no intentions of buying one of the others.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

ebonyeyes1968 wrote:

orb9220 wrote:

marquis-skarnu wrote:

If I have to go through all of that to read "one" book, I will end up purchasing another book instead. I understand why they activate DRM, but then again I don't. I want books to be available to read on all e-readers... I love my NC and have no intentions of buying one of the others.

This is why some people do the conversion.  If you already own the book, stripping the DRM and converting CAN BE construed as reasonable use and so far publishers have not targeted anyone doing that-how would they know?  But it is a gray area in copyright law.  It reportedly is easy enough to do and if you have a number of kindle books, it may be something you decide to look into.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Wordsmith
dparrothead1

Just wait unitl the autonooter for 1.2.0 comes out....use that...then download the Kindle app...it's a whole lot easier than converting all you books.  Only takes 15 minutes to autonooter....

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
New User
MommyofTwinsE-H
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Please forgive my ignorance...  My techie neighbor rooted my nook for me after the last upgrade.  I thought that if my nook was rooted that it would not automatically update.  Is that correct? 

I currenly have wifi turned off b/c I don't want this new update.  I saw on another string of posts that I should go in and turn off the automatic updating feature; but I didn't think that was necessary since my nook is rooted.  Please confirm!

Also, I don't know how my nook is rooted (autorooter vs. other way). I know he used an SD card, but I think he loaded the changes directly onto my NC and then we were able to take out the SD card.  When the new autorooter is available, is that something that a non-techie can do easily or will I need my neighbor's help again?  Where is the best, and more reliable place, to get the directions on how to do it?

Thanks!