Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Sol12
0 Kudos

Does The nook color Really have 8G storage capacity?

I just receive my nook color in valentine's and i love it so far, but i dont like to be lied and B&N adverticed the new NC as 8G device when is really not. It happens that it only comes with 5G Storage, so whre are my other 3G?. I even call to custumer service to ask about it an they  didn't

have a clue of what i was talking about.

They even quote "8GB*** (up to 6000 eBooks) built in memory" that's on the nook color

specifications on this wesite. If yopu want to prove it by yourself go to this link 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/features/techspecs/index.asp?cds2Pid=35607

and then go to your device info and read what it says there.?

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Re: Does The nook color Really have 8G storage capacity?

Some goes to the Nook OS and some is probably reserved for future use.  The remainder is for your stuff.  No digital storage device gives the full amount listed on the box.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Yes, it does have 8GB, but the remaining 3GB is being used.

Frequent Contributor
jermandpep

From the B&N link provided:

8GB*** (up to 6000 eBooks) built in memory.

scroll down to bottom (emphasis added):

*** 1GB = 1 billion bytes; Actual formatted capacity is less.

The devil's in the details...

Contributor
Sol12
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick response.

Correspondent
NookVine
0 Kudos

You also do not get the full amount with an external SD card. I added a 16GB card and was surprised to get only 14.8GB.  I guess the rest is overhead dealing with the file system (file allocation and such).

Dan

NookVine.com - A commentary on the Nook and Nook Color e-reader devices.
Inspired Contributor
BanjoBen

This question has come up several times and while the responses here have already answered the original post I'd like to add that it's no different than buying a new computer and finding out that your hard drive has some of it's space occupied by the OS. Also for advertising purposes storage capacities are listed using 1GB = 1billion bytes. The truth is that a GB quite a bit larger than that but that figure is used because it's a nice round figure. So when you pop that shiny new SD card into your PC it's going to report a lower capacity that what the box says. This is normal and simply a result of using two different definitions for GB.
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Question:  With the 5GB actual storage, will the NOOKcolor still hold 6,000 books?

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Reader 4
bnewk1
0 Kudos

Will the Nook Color get 6000 books? Yes as long as the books total size add up to the available. No one knows what kind of books you will load. If you load books that are half the size the of averege book you will get 12000 books if you do not load anything else.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

CasperAZ wrote:

Question:  With the 5GB actual storage, will the NOOKcolor still hold 6,000 books?

I believe the wording is "up to 6,000 books," so when you get there, maybe you can let us know.  :smileywink:

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

CasperAZ wrote:

I'm probably a fairly typical reader, and most of my books are under 1 MB, so I would say there is a very good chance it will hold 6,000 books (if you don't load huge files such as magazines, etc.)

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

BanjoBen wrote:
This question has come up several times and while the responses here have already answered the original post I'd like to add that it's no different than buying a new computer and finding out that your hard drive has some of it's space occupied by the OS. Also for advertising purposes storage capacities are listed using 1GB = 1billion bytes. The truth is that a GB quite a bit larger than that but that figure is used because it's a nice round figure. So when you pop that shiny new SD card into your PC it's going to report a lower capacity that what the box says. This is normal and simply a result of using two different definitions for GB.

True, but the GB definition issue does not explain most of the discrepancy. 8 billion bytes is really 7.45 GB. The remainder is used by the OS and apps (though I think the apps don't take much space.)

B&N should make it clear that the user has about 5 GB available.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

NookVine wrote:

You also do not get the full amount with an external SD card. I added a 16GB card and was surprised to get only 14.8GB.  I guess the rest is overhead dealing with the file system (file allocation and such).

Dan, the 'overhead' factor is a common misconception.  In the case of that 16GB card you referred to, that is:  16,000,000,000 bytes. 

When you divide that by 1024^3 (a gig), what that 16 (decimal) gigs turns in to is 14.9 binary or real Gigs.  There's no filesystem overhead involved.

In the case of the internal Flash on the NC, there are two factors at work.  The first is that the 8GB is actually subdivided into a system area and a user area, at 3GB and 5GB respectively.  Think of this like partitioning one physical hard-drive into several separate logical drives.

The system area, not surprisingly, is where all the system stuff goes, that makes your Nook work.  Not just the Android OS, but all the Apps you'll later run will go there.  As well as private data that keep them all running.  You generally don't see where that material is stashed. 

The user area, OTOH, is where all the user's books, magazines, newspapers, pictures, movies, and so forth are stored.  You can actually see everything there by browsing with the Library tool (My Files).  The "5GB" internal user area (4.66G, actually), can be supplemented by external SD cards.  Each with loads of space (up to "32GB"), and removable so others can be swapped in.  That in itself is prety cool, and something you won't find on an iP@d, for example.

One thing I would agree with is that B&N should make it clear that the User space is only 5GB, and the 8GB they refer to (while present) is not available to the user.  That avoids problems like users thinking they can load, say 4 movies of 2GB each on the device, and then find they can't even load 3.

- Mark

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Desktops, laptops, netbooks, PDAs, MP3s, cellphones all list full capcity on the spec sheet. Power upand you will find some of that space is used by OS & sys files. Its a standard practice. :smileyhappy:
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

maybe it's just me but I archive all books I read after... erm.. well.. reading them. 

I don't need or want them then.  Unless you want to read to again, why would you keep it?  And if you do want to read it again, you can re-download it, via wireless.

So, again, why do you need so much storage?  Do you have 5000 books?  Or are you just complaining to complain about something that will never, ever matter to you?

Plus, the memory is expandable up tro the current limits which is a whole friggin bunch more than provided stock. (sorry don't know the current values but you can buy additional memory at LEAST up to and additional 24gigs.. probably more.

I'm really not sure what you are complaining about. 

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Inspired Contributor
BanjoBen
0 Kudos

@KingAl: If you actually read the post I made you'll see that I never claimed that the different definitions explained the discrepancy. The OS requires part of the storage capacity. That explains why users only have 5 GB of storage. Others had already pointed that out and my post supported that. Someone else brought up the discrepancy between the advertised storage capacity of SD cards and the actual capacity. That's where the different definitions come into play. Mark's post does a good job of explaining both in greater detail.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

KingAl wrote:

BanjoBen wrote:

True, but the GB definition issue does not explain most of the discrepancy. 8 billion bytes is really 7.45 GB. The remainder is used by the OS and apps (though I think the apps don't take much space.)

Why?  HP never bothered to tell me that I would only have 899 GB available on my laptop instead of a TB.  All devices list the total storage capacity in their specs and not the actual.  Why should B&N be any different?

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

KingAl wrote:

BanjoBen wrote:

Why?  HP never bothered to tell me that I would only have 899 GB available on my laptop instead of a TB.  All devices list the total storage capacity in their specs and not the actual.  Why should B&N be any different?

If that laptop only came with 625 GB (which is basically the equivalent of the nookcolor's 5 GB available out of 8 GB),  I think many people would be complaining.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

101 GB of space is a significant amount, even if it isn't 37%.

Very, very few people complain about this on these boards.  I can't see that it's an issue with most users.  With the update(s) coming, it's no surprise that B&N set aside a large chunk of space.

I just can't get worked up about this.  Maybe ti's because I've been dealing with technology for over 20 years, maybe because I also own an original NOOK with it's significantly smaller storage capacity.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

CasperAZ wrote:

Duh!

5,000,000,000 / 6,000 = 833,333.33333333 bytes per book

VERY few books are 800k in size, they are much smaller

You really could have done that yourself and answered your own question.

---------
Don