Contributor
mcfac
0 Kudos

Does anyone's audio work properly????

Posted this on tech support forum, thought maybe I should post here as well. Returned my first Nook color because of the fava reader application error, and no audio. Powered up my replacement Nook color. Audio worked great, for about an hour!!!!! Do I have to keep returning the thing until I hit upon one that works??? Is there a way to reset the audio? By no audio, I mean no sound at all. Not when I go into device settings and set volume, not when I read the free audio books it came loaded with, not when I log into my Pandora acct., not on websites. Please tell me, does anyone have a Nook color with sound working properly? What do I do to get audio to work? (Other than calling or emailing BN, I could write a four page entry on how useless that is.)

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

Re: Does anyone's audio work properly????

My audio has always worked perfectly from the time I got my NOOKcolor. I have not tried any audio books, however.

Have you tried rebooting the unit to see if that clears up the issue? Something to try. If that doesn't do it, then you may have to return it again. :-/

Rebooting: (1) press and hold power button until you get the shutdown prompt, (2) confirm shutdown, (3) wait for shutdown to complete (blank screen), (4) press and hold power until screen flickers, (5) wait for unit to come back up, (6) try you function again.

Distinguished Correspondent
Hermes737
0 Kudos

You are not alone. See here for more help:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/sound-issues/td-p/754740/page/3

CURRENTLY READING - Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert
Contributor
mcfac
0 Kudos

Thanks, my first was in the 2005 group with the 1.0.1 software. Second is in the 2004 range with the 1.0.0 version software. What software/serial # group is yours?

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, mine has always worked fine and continues to do so.  It's quiet, but that's all right because I would generally use headphones when listening anyway.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Have had my NC for almost two months. The sound has worked perfectly. It's loud enough that I can hear the music from the next room as long as the TV isn't blaring.
Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Frequent Contributor
Bugeyed
0 Kudos

This problem is well documented in various forums & I believe that the consensus is that the serial numbers are not a clue to functionality.

Search is your friend.

Cheers,

kev

Frequent Contributor
cindylee60

My audio works fine and always has...right out of the box. Not very loud with "read to me", but I do have to turn it down from full to watch a movie without headphones (but the sound is much better with headphones...as with all my hand-held devices)

WiFi connected fine, right out of the box. (I use WEP)

I've had no trouble with the charger getting hot.

No trouble with the touchscreen, either being too sensitive or not sensitive enough and it doesn't react to ghost touches.

My library synched perfectly and the books I buy show up right away, ready for reading.

No stuck/dead/bright pixils or any other problems with the beautiful display.

My 16g SD card works great and I have several movies loaded, along with some pictures. Side loaded content works great according to the capabilities of the OOB system....I'm also hoping better support for pdf's is coming soon though.

In short, as with any device such as this, there are people who have problems such as manufactured defects, software misbehaving, peripheral conflicts (like routers) or user error.

But the VAST majority of the Nook Colors work as intended, right out of the box. When you come to a forum that exists so people can post questions and concerns, it's easy to get the impression that every single NC has issues, but it's an erroneous impression.

Compared to the thousands and thousands of NCs that have been sold, only a fraction of them have the audio issue. I am sorry you are having issues though, and hope you find a solution, even if it is taking it back and exchanging...I hope you will soon be enjoying yours as effortlessly as I enjoy mine, and as thousands of others enjoy theirs. 

BTW, I understand that this post does not help you or anyone else having the audio issue, but I just had to get it out. I want to remind anyone researching the NC that these issues are the exceptions, not the rule.

Frequent Contributor
kayokat
0 Kudos

Cindylee60,

I'm happy for you.  You have had a wonderful experience with your NC.  Others have not been so fortunate.

I've experienced the sound problem (no sound after sleep).  I'm on my second NC now.  Although I no longer lose sound after sleep mode, I am still missing certain sounds I had on my 1st NC. 

Short story is there is a major sound issue.  Not only have many, many units had the same problem I experienced, others have an extremely low volume.  So low as to barely hear it.

B & N does not admit to the existence of any problems.  Complain and they play dumb - "Oh, gee, no one has complained of that before."  That's what I heard.

I've spent a lot of money on this unit and I'd just like it to function as advertised or, in the least, have B & N admit there is a problem and state how it will be corrected.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Maybe the particular people you've talked to haven't heard from anyone with that specific problem yet.  It's not like they share a hive brain just because they all work for the same company.

Frequent Contributor
kayokat
0 Kudos

Tech support staff should be advised of all known issues.  Sound problems have been around since day 1.  They should know about it.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

@kayokat, exactly what sounds are not working on your replacement NC? If you think it's still defective, I'd take it back for yet another replacement, and make them get it right. But I don't know exactly what your current sound problem is, so hard to tell...

Frequent Contributor
kayokat

I've given up on the sound problem and am keeping my current unit.  I don't have any of the other miscellaneous problems I've read about on the boards so I'm hesitant to turn it in for another unit.

I want everyone to understand that I like and plan to keep using the NC.  What I don't like is Barnes and Noble's silence on the problems users are having.  I'm not a negative person, just a frustrated one.

Sound is a major part of the NC.  It doesn't take much to update your support staff and develop  a plan of action.  Be honest with your customers.  We like our Nooks and just want them to work correctly.  It's a great product - don't ruin it with bad customer service.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

@ kayokat. DITTO :smileyhappy:
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Contributor
mcfac
0 Kudos

I have to wonder if the hard power down and power up, besides taking WAY tool long, has an adverse affect on battery life. I also have to wonder, if BN is not providing clear support on this issue, and really helping the early adapters, what's going to happen 2-3 years down the road?

Now I understand the Mac users who go nuts over product issues instead of simply returning them. I really want this thing to work!!!

I'm going to keep returning until I find one that works. I'm also going to wait on buying Nook books until I feel they are providing better customer support. Until then, I'll buy google books. At least that way, if I switch devices, I'll be able to move my library. For those of you posting about your good nooks, what serial #'s, software are you running?

New User
harleigh
0 Kudos

Thanks, it did restore the sound, but of course it went away again when the unit went back to sleep. I did learn how to reboot the unit, so it was worthwhile.

Meanwhile, the unit is less then 24 hours old and I am on my way back to BN.

Thanks again,

PHS

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

harleigh wrote:

Thanks, it did restore the sound, but of course it went away again when the unit went back to sleep. I did learn how to reboot the unit, so it was worthwhile.

Meanwhile, the unit is less then 24 hours old and I am on my way back to BN.

Thanks again,

PHS

A new update was released today that has been said to fix this issue.

Contributor
mcfac
0 Kudos

If it isn't working, I'd just keep returning it. Third time was the charm for me, had to suffer through a rude store manager yesterday, but my new NC works fine. No software updates, it's working with the 1.0 software.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

After updating, my sound works every time...:smileyhappy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Reader 4
gpg429
0 Kudos

Had the same issue with sound turning off after going to sleep.  Installed the 1.1 update, sound problem is now fixed.