Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Does rooted NC have Bluetooth??

Running CM 7 on SD.  On another thread someone mentioned that a rooted NC has bluteooth.  when i try to turn it on, it lights up briefly and goes away.  I'm using the stable version from the wiki site.  In an early configuration that i had to reformat, I think i had functioning bluetooth. 

Any ideas on how to get it working?

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

Re: Does rooted NC have Bluetooth??

There had been no success in getting Bluetooth to work.  The xda developers are working on it though. 

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

rbentley101 wrote:

There had been no success in getting Bluetooth to work.  The xda developers are working on it though. 

Not true.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=990854&highlight=bluetooth

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

JinSC wrote:

Running CM 7 on SD.  On another thread someone mentioned that a rooted NC has bluteooth.  when i try to turn it on, it lights up briefly and goes away.  I'm using the stable version from the wiki site.  In an early configuration that i had to reformat, I think i had functioning bluetooth. 

Any ideas on how to get it working?

I believe that Blutooth with the nook color has a range measured in inches--OK for a Bluetooth keyboard or the like but not so good for other Bluetooth uses. Is it possible that you get a brief connection only when almost touching the NC? 

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

@ Mariel,

My understanding is that this is more "proof of concept" that fully functioning even on CM7.

Are you aware of any Bluthtooth device that successfully and usably pairs with the NC?

Wordsmith
JinSC

Searched on the XDA forum and found this instruction for turning on bluetooth:

If you're ready to turn on Bluetooth, there's a trick. If you don't do this, Bluetooth will just refuse to turn on / be enabled.

Turn off wifi (Settings > Wireless & Networks > Wi-Fi)
Reboot
Turn on Bluetooth (Settings > Wireless & Networks > Bluetooth)
Turn on wifi
It seems a bit odd, but that's what you have to do. From then on out it'll work fine.

It worked!  i then paired it with a Motorola Wireless Keyboard, designed for Motorola Xoom, from Bestbuy @ $69.99.

After bluetooth is turned on, you have to go into Settings, "Wireless and networks," "Bluetooth Setting" then make the NC "discoverable" then scan for devices.  Already had the keyboard on, and it found it.

I have powered down and back up and bluetooth works and remembers the keyboard.

As to range, the keyboard functions out to about 9 feet, or farther away than I can read the screen, so range is not too big an issue for this application.

have noticed that not all the "android" and media keys work with NC as they are designed to with an android phone, but no big loss....really just wanted the keyboard so that i can type more easily and so that i won't have to take my laptop to some upcoming meetings where I need to take limited notes.  Beats having to unpack a laptop at the airport!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

rbentley:  a few weeks ago I was able to use a Mac bluethooth keyboard with an NC.  It worked fine.  It wasn't my keyboard and I wasn't that interested in keeping CM7 on board but it paired, it issued keystrokes, it tabbed between fields, etc. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
JinSC

My NC is propped on my coffee table and I am typing on the couch.....I would have done the previous post on the keyboard, but need to cut and paste the link from xda and it was on my laptop. This is way better than using the onscreen keyboard!!!
Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

rbentley101 wrote:

@ Mariel,

My understanding is that this is more "proof of concept" that fully functioning even on CM7.

Are you aware of any Bluthtooth device that successfully and usably pairs with the NC?

As per the posts above and the XDA threads, mostly keyboards. I have personally never tried it.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

JinSC wrote:

Searched on the XDA forum and found this instruction for turning on bluetooth:

As to range, the keyboard functions out to about 9 feet, or farther away than I can read the screen, so range is not too big an issue for this application.

Thanks very much for sharing this information.  This is really excellent news.  Though I wasn't completely sure where your quoting of XDA stopped, and your personal experiences began.

I was hoping they could get things working for at least 3 feet, so that a headset/mic would be possible.  9 feet is even better.  It would be helpful if you made it clear if this is exclusively for a CM7 build, or whatever.  And pointers are always appreciated.  :smileywink:

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

- Mark

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:
 I wasn't completely sure where your quoting of XDA stopped, and your personal experiences began.

Mark,

The xda quote was:

Turn off wifi (Settings > Wireless & Networks > Wi-Fi)
Reboot
Turn on Bluetooth (Settings > Wireless & Networks > Bluetooth)
Turn on wifi
It seems a bit odd, but that's what you have to do. From then on out it'll work fine.

You also asked:

It would be helpful if you made it clear if this is exclusively for a CM7 build, or whatever.  And pointers are always appreciated.  :smileywink:

I'm not sure what you mean by "exclusively for a CM 7 build."  I indicated in my first post in this thread that I was running CM 7 on an SD card.  It is the latest stable "encore" mod from the wiki site. 

Be happy to give any other info you might like if I can....

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

JinSC wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "exclusively for a CM 7 build."  I indicated in my first post in this thread that I was running CM 7 on an SD card.  It is the latest stable "encore" mod from the wiki site. 

Jin, thanks for the followup.  You're 100% right.  The info was there, and I failed to scroll back up to the top and notice it there.  (I was focused on your solution report, not your earlier problem.)  My apologies.

- Mark

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

No problem, Mark,  After i posted my last response, I did come up with another interpretation of your question which I had failed to answer.  That is, does bluetooth work when I am in emmc mode?  As of yet, I have found no way to make that work, only in cm7 mode. 

Thank you for your interest and your politeness.