Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
cdundas
0 Kudos

Does the Update Include reading in Lanscape Mode?

I will try downloading the update later when I have time.  All I really wanted in the update was to be able to read books on the landscope mode.  I didn't see this mentioned in the list of new features.  Can someone post if we can read books in landscape mode?

Thanks.

Christine

Contributor
Payton20
0 Kudos

Re: Does the Update Include reading in Lanscape Mode?

Yes it does.

Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka
0 Kudos

Hooray!

Correspondent
Prewittboy
0 Kudos

I just did a quick look, I couldnt find anywhere that you could change it to landscape for reading.

Correspondent
Prewittboy
0 Kudos

Where is the setting for that?

Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats
0 Kudos

Is there a trick for reading in landscape for books?

Mine's not working. I looked through the settings and nothing.

Just auto which was already checked on.

Nook Color Wallpapers
Contributor
cdundas
0 Kudos

Re: Does the Update Include reading in Landscape Mode?

I asked the same question at the NookColor Technical Support board.  The answer is that the update may not include reading in landscape mode option.   It has not been confirmed that it is included.  Gosh - that will be disappointing!  I understand how many people are excited about apps and stuff, but isn't the Nook supposed to be an eReader first.   Even if it is supposed to be a tablet, don't most tablets allow reading in lanscape mode?

Frequent Contributor
JediFarfy
0 Kudos

Engadget is reporting it, but not showing it. I'm hoping this wasn't a fluke. :smileysad:

Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

cdundas wrote:

I asked the same question at the NookColor Technical Support board.  The answer is that the update may not include reading in landscape mode option.   It has not been confirmed that it is included.  Gosh - that will be disappointing!  I understand how many people are excited about apps and stuff, but isn't the Nook supposed to be an eReader first.   Even if it is supposed to be a tablet, don't most tablets allow reading in lanscape mode?

That is ridiculous.

I could care less about apps. What I really want is to be able to read a book in landscape mode.

Nook Color Wallpapers
Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin
0 Kudos

my9cats wrote:

I could care less about apps. What I real want is to be able to rad a book in landscape mode.

You can me both! If this update doesn't allow this, then I guess I'll be rooting mine after all.

The update is just finishing up on mine, so I'll be finding out here in a moment.

-------------

bwg
Inspired Contributor
bwg
0 Kudos

Derwin wrote:

my9cats wrote:

I could care less about apps. What I real want is to be able to rad a book in landscape mode.

You can me both! If this update doesn't allow this, then I guess I'll be rooting mine after all.

The update is just finishing up on mine, so I'll be finding out here in a moment.

It doesn't fix the landscape thing.  Sorry.  I was bummed too.  :smileysad:  I may consider "rooting" now too.

Contributor
BrenCocoaFL
0 Kudos

just checked mine, epubs don't rotate, but pdfs still do. pdf built in reader is the same, bought the app pdf reader so I can do bookmarks, etc. like we can in epubs.

Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

cdundas wrote:

Just read the tech board.

All they did was kick the ball back to the general board.

Nice.

I can't believe I may have to root my NC to be able to read in landscape mode.

Nook Color Wallpapers
Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Derwin wrote:

my9cats wrote:

-------------

Just checked out Club Nook.

Since I am not on Facebook (nor do I want to be) does this mean I can't

join?

Nook Color Wallpapers
Contributor
Payton20
0 Kudos

I wonder why it does change to landscape mode on my .ePub books... I'll try to find out and will post.

Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats
0 Kudos

Payton20 wrote:

I wonder why it does change to landscape mode on my .ePub books... I'll try to find out and will post.

This would be appreciated :smileyhappy:

Nook Color Wallpapers
Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin
0 Kudos

my9cats wrote:

Just checked out Club Nook.

Since I am not on Facebook (nor do I want to be) does this mean I can't

join?

Absolutely not! Facebook is just an added way that allows people to join easily... but you don't have to use the facebook app at ClubNook at all. Just click the "register" button and you can register without having anything to do with Facebook.

----------

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Quoted from the Cnet review:

(Note: Landscape book reading was originally supposed to be included in v1.2. B&N says it now plans to include it in its next software update, though it declined to give a specific date).

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20056488-1.html#ixzz1KXw1cLDB
Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Derwin

OK thanks, I registered.

What threw me off was the first box with facebook.

I tried posting a test message.

No time right now but will explore later...

Thanks again....

Nook Color Wallpapers
Contributor
BCBronco19
0 Kudos

Here's the odd thing: when  my NC was rooted to CM7 and I downloaded the NC app, it would read in landscape. Now that I am in stock NC, it won't.