Reader 2
pete643
0 Kudos

Downloading Magazines

I have a subscription to the New Yorker Magazine and have received 4 issues. I can't download any of them. They all contain the green download stripe but clicking on that only brings up two options: one grayed out "subscribe" and one " "recommend".I have the latest software and have deregistered and reregistered my Nook but sill can't download.

Thanks,

Pete643

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 527
0 Kudos

Re: Downloading Magazines

Hi pete643,

Please PM with your account info (email, serial number) and i'll take a look at this for you.

Thanks!

-Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 527
0 Kudos

Reader 2
pete643
0 Kudos

When I click on this link it says I do not have sufficient autorization to access.

Pete643

Inspired Correspondent
DanRNJ
0 Kudos

Pete you should edit your post to remove your email address.  Spammers harvest email addresses from public forums like this.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Pete, the New Yorker subscription is not well described on the BN website.

For whatever reason, the New Yorker is only available on the monochrome Nook devices, not on the NC.  When I first subscribed, I managed to find the New Yorker files on the BN website and manually download them and copy them to the NC.  But I realized that the files were hard to find, and cancelled the subscription.

You will probably be getting a PM later on, if you haven't already, letting you know that your choices are cancel the subscription or buy an ST.

I agree that it's super annoying that the covers are visible and it looks like your subscription works. 

What's more frustrating is how well the magazine works on the NC.  There's no reason not to let NC customers have access to it.  I really don't get it.  And I don't know whether it's a BN or a New Yorker decision to try to keep it off the color device. 

I wound up getting an ST over the summer, once it was a rootable device, and now manually copy my New Yorkers across to my NC.  It actually helps justify the cost of the device. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
RHWright
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Pete, the New Yorker subscription is not well described on the BN website.

How, exactly, is, "Read exclusively on these devices and apps: NOOK" unclear or not "well described"? I always check that when I'm browsing the selections online, so I know what device they can be read on. And on top of that, if you make the initial subscription/purchase from the device, it should not present you with ones that won't work on it. (At least that's how it works on the N1E. Don't have the NC handy to test it.)

And I don't know whether it's a BN or a New Yorker decision to try to keep it off the color device. 

Can almost guarantee this is a publisher issue. B&N is here to make money and isn't likely to turn it down if they can help it. Why the New Yorker chose to do this, who knows. But take it up with them.

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

For those who are relatively recent into the Nook/Nook Color thing, some of us (perish the thought) think of the Nook Color as a Nook device.

- It has the Nook name.

- It reads Nook-formatted publications.

- BN will sell us - even those of us who only own the Nook Color - content which is tagged as Nook only content. 

That last, to me, is just a big web design fail.  How hard can it be to just not sell the magazine to an account that doesn't have a way to read it? 

As to who is driving the issue of what is sold on what device:  I have yet to hear from either the publisher or BN on this topic. 

I'm glad I came up with a way to get the magazine easily onto both of my Nook devices, including the Nook Color. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.