Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000

Evernote users.

I asked the developers of ever note if there is an app comming to the BN App Shop.  Here is the answer:

Charles,

We are not developing a version of Evernote specifically for the B&N App Shop as the NookColor is missing hardware components required for Evernote to run at full capacity (no camera, no GPS). However, you can install Evernote and it will run with limited capability by performing the following:

From your Android device's browser, visit http://s.evernote.com/androidpreview to download the application.
When it is finished downloading, double click to install it.

Please let us know if you have any further issues.

Allan
Evernote Support

Of course, the solution provided dosen't work, and I didn't expect it too.
We can still use Evernote in the browser, but not off line.

As my old Grandpa used to say: "You can't have everything, where would you keep it?"

I still love my NC.
Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

Re: Evernote users.

I'm still waiting for them to fix Firefox 4 for the Mac, so that clipping goes to desktop, instead of only to their cloud.

Yeah... can't always get what we want. Sigh. Thank you for asking and reporting back!

Contributor
alvesmd
0 Kudos

I miss Evernote too; that's why I am trying Springpad.

Contributor
SenorBlues
0 Kudos

To the OP, thanks for the info and trying to find out the status of Evernote for the NC.  I have Evernote on my laptop and my home pc, so I may go back to rooting just to have it on my NC.   For now I'm making do with using the web version on my NC but struggling with the interface.  I've heard good things about Springpad but I just can't imagine trying to move all my notes over to it and trying to learn a new interface.

Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000
0 Kudos

I'm looking at springpad also.  But here are some thoughts.

1. How hard will it be to get my data from Evernote to Springpad?   Do I need to retype all of it, or can I cut and past on my desktop machine between the two.

2. The "added content", is this just advertizing added to my data?  I fully understand that the free app must support it's self, but I'm not sure this won't be disruptive.

3. The Evernote premium allowed off line access to my data.  We are using a wi-fi only device here, and I am away from wi-fi a lot.  So, will my notes be locally stored (on the NC) so I can get to them in the field?

Has anyone tried this, any comments?  I think the die is cast, I'm just hesitant to start.

Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000
0 Kudos

UPDATE:

I just installed Springpad.   I was able to cut and past my notes from Evernote desktop to Springpad web based.  I installed it on my NC, and the notes are available with the wi fi turned off.  Good stuff.

Oh, and I still love my NOOKcolor.

Distinguished Correspondent
CB2010
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I also found springpad. Frankly I like it better than Evernote. Plus (at least for now, no advertising). I had basically stopped using Evernote after they changed and took away a lot of features in the free version. I only used it between PCs, but this is much handier as I will be able to add things while I'm out with my nook.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

The week the NookColor update was released, I submitted an inquiry to Evernote inquiring if they were going to release an Evernote app for the Nook Color.  The response I recieved was something along the lines of "we don't have information on platforms we may support." I took it to mean, we haven't thought about it or decided yet.

Based on the response Charles recieved, I submitted another request this week asking them to consider releasing a "limited version" of Evernote for the NookColor (ie disable the android photo and GPS features.)  As Nook owners are already aware their device doesn't take photos or have GPS, don't see this as a huge stumbling block for us.  The request is being forwarded to the Development Team for consideration.

In order to help evaluate how many Nook Color users would really like Evernote on the Nook, would other people who would like this app available on their NookColor please consider indicating their interest on this thread?

And for those of you who haven't yet signed up to participate on the forum but have Evernote for windows installed on your computer and would like to see it on the Nook, would you please consider sending an email to Evernote indicating your interest? 

{From your Evernote windows application, go to HELP, then TECHNICAL SUPPORT (at the bottom of the page you can submit an email to the support desk with your request.)}

IMHO, Evernote on the Nook would be a very "reading centric" app and I am hoping that it will get added.  Thank you for your help!

Reader
Tongsan
0 Kudos

Yes! Like EverNote, love NC, don't want to learn new program!

Contributor
alvesmd

Good news ! I have just received this message from Evernote:

Hi,

Yes we are currently working on a Nook Color version. I have no date when this will be available but it will be released soon.

Cheers,

Phil

New User
Bwig
0 Kudos

We want Evernote on the NC!

Contributor
SenorBlues
0 Kudos

alvesmd wrote:

Good news ! I have just received this message from Evernote:

Hi,

Yes we are currently working on a Nook Color version. I have no date when this will be available but it will be released soon.

Cheers,

Phil

This is great news!  I have lots of Evernote notes and want to stick with it.   Thanks for passing this on.

Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000
0 Kudos

Amazing!:smileyindifferent:  I take an afternoon transfering my notes, based on Evernotes answer to me, and now...

Oh well... maybe I'll have them both. :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
justsayyes
0 Kudos

Evernote has a whole tablet devoted to them!

Frequent Contributor
TigerBlak_
0 Kudos

Thank goodness they came to their senses when I asked them about this two weeks ago, I got the following:

1. Evernote will not be designing a Nook-specific version of the Evernote client because it is an eBook reader that runs on Android. It does not have hardware that Evernote is designed for, such as a GPS and Camera, and thus we would have to create a very crippled version of our client that users would not be happy with.

2. If you would like to install Evernote on your NookColor, please root your device and you can install Evernote. This is not a version designed specifically for the NookColor, this is the real, full, unlimited version of Evernote. There will be features that your eBook reader does not support, and your eBook reader may crash if you attempt to use them, such as the Camera, GPS, etc.

Inspired Contributor
cyclingplatypus
0 Kudos

Now if we could get dropbox to make a NC app. 

Wordsmith
melouria
0 Kudos

This is great news!  I much prefer Evernote over the note taking app currently in the NC store. 

Distinguished Correspondent
TaterFink
0 Kudos

absolutily!  want evernote on NC.

motorcyclists thought of the day - never put your earplugs in the same pocket with your jellybeans!
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Re: Evernote users. It's HERE!

Wow, just signed on at lunchtime to see if any new apps (it's Friday afterall.) 

AND EVERNOTE IS HERE!!!!  I can't believe it!  I thought we would get it eventually, but it would take a few weeks.  Really didn't expect it today.

A special thanks to cfbush2000 for starting this thread. (You actually motivated me to join to help lobby for this product!)

And a special thanks to everyone you indicated they wanted this product and sent emails etc to Evernote.

Am downloading now and am so excited!  Can't wait to see how it works!

Inspired Contributor
Warlock_Writer
0 Kudos

Re: Evernote users. It's HERE!

NookGardener wrote:

Wow, just signed on at lunchtime to see if any new apps (it's Friday afterall.) 

AND EVERNOTE IS HERE!!!!  I can't believe it!  I thought we would get it eventually, but it would take a few weeks.  Really didn't expect it today.

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know. Wanting Evernote was one of my biggest reasons for wanting to root, and now I don't have to!