Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
spider731

Extended keyboard...

I stumbled across this, this morning. I hope it's not a repost and not sure if this is new with the update, but...

When using the NC keyboard you can extend the keyboard by pressing the top of it and sliding up. All the number keys and several common characters (@, -, ', ", #, %...etc) will pop up. It won't stay up but you can slide your finger to the desired character and release. Once you do release the extension disappears. I thought this was pretty cool and quite useful. Hopefully others will too...

Thanx

Frequent Contributor
Awesome_in_MO
0 Kudos

Re: Extended keyboard...

Did not know this, but it will be helpful. Cool tip! Thanks!

Distinguished Correspondent
peppyauntie121
0 Kudos

spider731 wrote:

I stumbled across this, this morning. I hope it's not a repost and not sure if this is new with the update, but...

When using the NC keyboard you can extend the keyboard by pressing the top of it and sliding up. All the number keys and several common characters (@, -, ', ", #, %...etc) will pop up. It won't stay up but you can slide your finger to the desired character and release. Once you do release the extension disappears. I thought this was pretty cool and quite useful. Hopefully others will too...

Thanx

A laurel for you.....   thanks for the tip.  I welcome these tips, repeats or not.  Have a nookie day!

Frequent Contributor
Orestes55
0 Kudos

That's new to me. Thanks.
Correspondent
NookVine
0 Kudos

Here is a thread about keyboard shortcuts from a few months ago. It would be nice to have a sticky with all these cool tips.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/Nook-Color-Hidden-Easter-Eggs/m-...

Dan

NookVine.com - A commentary on the Nook and Nook Color e-reader devices.
Frequent Contributor
Red_Reign_Six
0 Kudos

Very good idea.  I'd like to see a stickie with little tips like that! 

Inspired Correspondent
spider731
0 Kudos

I also agree with the sticky! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka
0 Kudos

Thanks, Spider.

A laurel to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Cool tip but it takes a special touch and mine drops when i lift my finger. Gonna have to play wit it :smileyhappy:
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Correspondent
pen_name19
0 Kudos

spider731 wrote:

Thanx

I'm not on the new update, and can't get that to happen, not sure if i'm doing it wrong or if it's a new feature.
  But while trying to do this, did notice that a long-press on a character shows additional options, e.g., long pressing on "u" will make a window pop-up w/ u-left-caret, u-right-caret, u-hat, and u-umlaut. The window stays up until you select a char or press the go-away-X.  If there are no other options, e.g. for "g", then nothing pops-up.  Same for the "?123" keyboard.