Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

Re: External Backup Battery and Other Non B&N Accessories Available.

Ok here is my first impressions: 1 it IS the charger pictured on Gomedic's site (the flat black pack). It is NOT the hexangular pack shown on Buy.com. 2 it comes with 2 tips. MiniUSB that is used to charge the battery pack. And a microUSB to charge the nook (either model). It is not specific to the NC. It is standard microUSB. 3 it supplies UP TO 700ma which will NOT fast charge the NC, but should provide enough power to run the NC for about 6 hrs more than the NC alone. (so about 14hrs total). 4 the pack is 3400maH while the NC's battery is 4000maH. I think it is worth it. Obviously I haven't had a chance to do any real in depth testing. But it's size is perfect for me.
---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

donc13 wrote:
Ok here is my first impressions: 1 it IS the charger pictured on Gomedic's site (the flat black pack). It is NOT the hexangular pack shown on Buy.com. 2 it comes with 2 tips. MiniUSB that is used to charge the battery pack. And a microUSB to charge the nook (either model). It is not specific to the NC. It is standard microUSB. 3 it supplies UP TO 700ma which will NOT fast charge the NC, but should provide enough power to run the NC for about 6 hrs more than the NC alone. (so about 14hrs total). 4 the pack is 3400maH while the NC's battery is 4000maH. I think it is worth it. Obviously I haven't had a chance to do any real in depth testing. But it's size is perfect for me.

Ok,   ... a little more, but I didn't get a chance to fully charge the Gomadic overnight, had a lot of other stuff to do.

Works well.   Nice and small, easily will fit into a shirt pocket or pants pocket.    Looking on the Gomadic site, the "battery pack" is the same in all of their "rechargeable power packs" with the only difference being the adapt-a-plug end to fit your device.    For example, the "set" that fits my cell phone, is EXACTLY the same set I received for the Nook/Nook Color.

http://www.gomadic.com/htc-thunderbolt-lithium-portable-battery-charger.html

It is NOT a nook color microUSB connector (adapter 90) but a standard microUSB connector.   However,  While you CAN plug in the NC's USB cable, the one with the "real" NC end on it, I would not suggest it.   Again, because of the battery itself only being able to supply 0.7 amps rather than the full 2.0 amps (at 5v) that the NC expects on it's cable might burn out the electronics in the battery pack (or it might not...I'm not going to test to find out).  Thus I strongly suspect that Gomadic will never have a Nook Color specific adapter because the battery pack can't supply the full 2.0 amps the NC can draw when totally run down.

So, while it is true that Gomadic does not have Nook Color specific ends, their device, sold on Buy.Com as for the Nook and Nook Color is perfectly acceptable to ME.   Your mileage may vary.

Besides which....it will work great with my cell phone if its battery starts running out in the middle of nowhere too.

Just know what it is you're getting and decide from there.   

---------
Don
Reader
AngelReader1
0 Kudos

Hello,

Just wanted to say "Thank you for posting that website link". I do not read these blogs that often, then today I found out this post.

I have been thinking about a solution to long trips with my NookColor because of the battery life being so short, so that suggestion was great.

Now I have an option.

Thanks,

:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

[ Edited ]
**Duplicate post**

:smileysurprised:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
phoneboy
0 Kudos

SkinnyDennis wrote:

Do you know when they got the battery pack?

If you look on gomadic's site, and search for nookcolor, you'll get a complete list of items for the NC. Any items that charge the NC are currently unavailable, including the battery pack. I had written gomadic a while back, maybe 6 weeks or so, and they said they were holding up sales until they could locate the special usb tip that the NC uses.

That don't make sense cause the USB replacement cable uses the same tip and they show in stock.

? :smileyindifferent: ?

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
DRV
Wordsmith
DRV
0 Kudos

AngelReader1 wrote:

Hello,

Just wanted to say "Thank you for posting that website link". I do not read these blogs that often, then today I found out this post.

I have been thinking about a solution to long trips with my NookColor because of the battery life being so short, so that suggestion was great.

Now I have an option.

Thanks,

:smileyhappy:

Yes, thank you Don.  Laurels to you.  Both your posts above.

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
0 Kudos

I had purchased the Energizer XP8000 for my Netbook.   It would charge my Netbook as I used it (It only had a a 3 Cell Battery).

I have tried it on my Nook 3G and my NookColor.   My Nook 3G it charges it while I use it.

On My NookColor it will charge it while reading (trickle charge), while watching a movie it reduces the battery draing significantly to the point where it is almost running from the external battery.  While in sleep mode it charges the NookColor.

The advantage to this one is that it uses the USB Connector that comes with your nook.

http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/products/xp8000/

Reader
quilter72
0 Kudos

I just bought the Duracell Instant charger, but when I plug it into the NC, it says Not Charging.  I assume it's not working then.  I'm stumped as to an economical option to give my NC a little more juice when I it's not convenient to plug in.

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
0 Kudos

@quilter72

It may say it's not charging, but it might be drawing less on the internal battery thus giving you more hours of use.

I know my external battery works that way and if the nookcolor is in sleep mode it does slowly charge it.

I suggest you test it and check on whether it extends the life of your battery.

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

I use the iGo Charge Anywhere. It has 2 standard USB ports and can use the Nook cord or uses a special iGo cord that accepts many tips for various portable devices, MP3 players, cell phones, PDAs iPxD, etc.

It can fully charge the Nook Color. As an external battery, it can only supply about a 30% charge for about 2 hours. The charger also shuts down after the device is charged.

iGo also makes accessory batteries for laptops if more power is needed. And those batteries include USB ports. The accessory can also be charged by the iGo green computer chargers that support many types of devices by special tips.

roustabout
0 Kudos

I have a multi-output USB or tip output battery that I picked up years ago for my ipod.  I recently found myself down to 20% on my NC and wanted to do some reading outside.

What I found was that although the NC reported "not charging," I was able to read for an hour and the power held steady at 20%, which was fine with me. 

I went ahead and used the NC adapter, because the data USB cable  I picked up for 15 bucks at Target awhile back stopped working a week or two ago.  (So BN isn't the only outfit in the world that can make a gamey USB cable ....)

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

MusicmanGG wrote:

I had purchased the Energizer XP8000 for my Netbook.   It would charge my Netbook as I used it (It only had a a 3 Cell Battery).

I have tried it on my Nook 3G and my NookColor.   My Nook 3G it charges it while I use it.

On My NookColor it will charge it while reading (trickle charge), while watching a movie it reduces the battery draing significantly to the point where it is almost running from the external battery.  While in sleep mode it charges the NookColor.

The advantage to this one is that it uses the USB Connector that comes with your nook.

http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/products/xp8000/

I have this also. It works great on the NC, and as well it will jump start your motorcycle!

Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My preferred alternative, which I will implement on a weekend some time soon, is to assemble a couple six-volt rechargable batteries, their charger, a holder for the batteries, and a 12V automobile type socket. Wire up the batteries in series with the correct polarity, and I can plug the stock B&N car charger into the 12V socket. This way there's no possibility of voiding the warranty because the stock B&N car charger will see exactly what it gets in my car.

Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.
roustabout
0 Kudos

Matthew, when did your first mp3 player land in your car?  And was it a linux box with an old IDE drive plugged into an inverter, or did you pick up a grey market cd/mp3 player? 

I was getting ready to go the first route, when the first cd based mp3 players hit. I'm thinking '99 or so. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH
0 Kudos

Well, I do have an engineering degree from Purdue...
New User
edvank
0 Kudos

I have a great alternative.  I just purchased at Walmart the "Fuel Cell" Universal Backup Battery.  It works great and recharges the NC quickly.  You need to use the supplied mini-usb cable.  There are three cables, one for Apple products, the mini-usb for Android, and the third for BlackBerry and phones using the same connector.  Here is a link to Amazon for the the specs. 

http://www.amazon.com/CM010067-Casemate-Cm010067-Battery-Universal/dp/B00449CSEE

Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH
0 Kudos

Instead of assembling one from scratch, I recently got a 12 volt rechargeable battery pack with charger from these folks:

http://www.powerstream.com/

Seems like a solid product.  The idea is, by plugging the stock Barnes & Noble car adaptor into this, I am replicating exactly how it works in my car.  I can also use car chargers for several other gadgets with this unit in the event of an extended power outage.  Extended power outages had not been on my mental radar screen before Hurricane Irene, but most of my colleagues at work had no power at home for multiple DAYS after Irene.  My wife and I were very lucky, our home never lost power at all, but more than half of homes in CT and RI lost power for at least 24 hours.  So it behooves us to be prepared just in case we get hit by the next disaster.